So recently I was listening to Liberty by Steve Vai and I found the 6th measure to the end of the 14th measure was interesting so away I sat transcribing and breaking everything down. It was an interesting thing to do and I found some interesting things I thought I'd like to share.

The key is E major and the chord progression goes;

V - I - V2 - VII - IV - vi - I - V - V
B maj - E maj - B/D# maj - D maj - A maj - C# min - E maj - B maj - B maj

Each chord taking a whole measure

At the sixth measure the trombones have the melody but they play a B5 then the 3rd (D#) followed by G5 and then the lead guitar comes in at the seventh measure.

When the guitar comes in, it hits off the 3rd of the chord (G#) then goes up to A then the 5th of the I chord (B). The guitar does this but hits atleast two members of the chord being played every measure. (I would write this out in detail but no one wants to read that much and I think I already lost my audience )

The rhythm guitars are just hitting the root note and 3rds and typical doesn't go faster then a half note in the majority of these measures.

The violins at the sixth measure play an inverted 2nd B maj then nothing else the rest of the measures I'm talking about. (Nothing fancy but I figured worth noting.)

The piano is what makes this interesting though besides the melody. The piano follows the chord progression until the VII chord. Instead of playing the chord borrowed from E major's parrel minor (E minor or easier to note as D major), the piano plays a vii*. It creates a little tension there with the sharped D# hitting off a D. But the piano after that continues playing the chord progression as above.

The bass guitar is just playing the roots except at some measures where it plays the 3rd.

Just something kinda cool.

Cheers,
Xter

Edit: I forgot to mention the acoustic guitar is just playing the chords going quarter followed by 4 eighth notes and then a quarter note. Nothing super complicated, but it was interesting to me. Just thought i'd share.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Feb 21, 2012,
You haven't really analysed the song, you've just told us what notes different instruments are playing.
Quote by griffRG7321
You haven't really analysed the song, you've just told us what notes different instruments are playing.

There's not much to analyze. It's pretty much all sticking to the chords. I could go on and describe what chord tones the melody is using but no one wants to read that. I just like the melody and what the piano does.

If you want I can sit here and list the notes and point which ones are parts of the chord and so on and list the intervals between the notes but no wants to read that. I was just listing the interesting parts to me that happened.

EDIT: I just read the other guy who "analyzed" a song and all he did was list the chords yet you didn't tell him he didn't really analyze a song. I sincerely dislike that contradiction. Please revise your statement(s) in this or that thread, then I'll reply to your future posts.

Quote by Matt.Guitar
Isn't liberty already transcribed?

Probably, isn't everything anymore with the magic of internet, sheet music, and tab books.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I don't think he ever mentioned having analyzed the song.

Anyway, that is is very interesting. Just shows more good musicianship on Vai's part.

Good job picking it up, too.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by mdc
Now transcribe some vocals in this intro...

I can't access youtube on my current computer but later tonight when I get on my home computer I'll give it a shot. I have a feeling this is going to be a massive collection of things all happening at once

But I believe the "Heeeads up!" in the intro of Liberty is two B flats, the first one an octave lower.

Quote by eGraham
I don't think he ever mentioned having analyzed the song.

Anyway, that is is very interesting. Just shows more good musicianship on Vai's part.

Good job picking it up, too.

I never did but the way I typed it inferred I was going too. I'm to lazy to really type anything huge into a description. Just shared the basics of what was happening.

I agree it does. The song sticks mostly to the E major scale (Don't kill me because I have preached about them being bad to learn on guitar in patterns, they are useful in most music, just not straight up and down) with accidentals more towards the end of the piece, at the faster runs that are sixteenth notes with triplets and sextuplets (I'm not sure but I hear that, correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks!
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90