i build guitars whit a steel body

to start i take a steel plate 1 mm
and drawnings of the guitar
then i glu the drawning on the steel plate and start cutting whit a jigsaw
after cutting the front and back i start welding the pieces together
Attachments:
DSC00622 (480x640).jpg
DSC00627 (480x640).jpg
Well this is... interesting. I'd like to hear how one of them sounds, and also how thick/ heavy it would be.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
be very careful while welding it together so it doesnt warp/distort the metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Speckled_Hen
Well this is... interesting. I'd like to hear how one of them sounds, and also how thick/ heavy it would be.

they sound great
http://youtu.be/I_rjn08X_aY

this one i have buil fore the sore losers
it is around the 3,4 kg
They look great too, especially the beat up tele in the header on your website
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Robbgnarly
be very careful while welding it together so it doesnt warp/distort the metal.

Yes. Look up "tack welding", which is a 100% essential approach for something like this.
I understand what you're doing, but I'm rather confused at the same time.

Are you stacking 1mm sheets of steel (welding as you go) until you create a full thickness body? That seems very time consuming and it'd be hard to weld something so thin without it warping. You could do it with a wire welder, but still. Why not build it out of thicker plates around 1/4" or even 1/2"?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I'm thinking of making a guitar from steel..but how do you stop the whole body from being live and electrocuting yourself? lol
Quote by jackjb94
I'm thinking of making a guitar from steel..but how do you stop the whole body from being live and electrocuting yourself? lol

The body would be a ground for you. It'd be the same way you don't get shocked from the strings.
Quote by Flux'D

Are you stacking 1mm sheets of steel (welding as you go) until you create a full thickness body? That seems very time consuming and it'd be hard to weld something so thin without it warping. You could do it with a wire welder, but still. Why not build it out of thicker plates around 1/4" or even 1/2"?

Seriously?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I'm not understanding you Papabear..?

He stated in the OP that he was using "1mm plate" which would be ridiculous.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
I'm not understanding you Papabear..?

He stated in the OP that he was using "1mm plate" which would be ridiculous.

Do you know how big a mm is? Tiny. So when he says 1mm plate, that's similar to saying sheet metal. The thing is a fabricated hollow sheet metal body.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Do you know how big a mm is? Tiny. So when he says 1mm plate, that's similar to saying sheet metal. The thing is a fabricated hollow sheet metal body.
Yes I'm very aware how big a mm is, which is why I was so confused. I'm a machinist and work in thousandths (.001) of an inch all day long

I didn't know he was making hollowbodies, I think solidbody when I hear telecaster. If there's pictures in this thread I can't load or view them, for whatever reason my browser hates UG and pictures.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Yes I'm very aware how big a mm is, which is why I was so confused. I'm a machinist and work in thousandths (.001) of an inch all day long

I didn't know he was making hollowbodies, I think solidbody when I hear telecaster.

Ok "Mr. Machinist" Next time your at work... Get some 1/2" steel plate, about the size of a guitar body... then stack 3 or 4 of them together, and hang them around your neck like a guitar...
I was referring to this
Quote by Flux'D

How could it be anything but a Hollow body?

We all have "Duh" moments from time to time... this one was yours.. LMAO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Feb 28, 2012,
^ You don't have to be a dick. I was just as confused as Flux'D was.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ You don't have to be a dick. I was just as confused as Flux'D was.

Cool.. a "Double DUH!!"

Those don't happen very often...

Lighten up.. Laugh at yourself... it's not going to be the last time you say something that makes you look less than intelligent... Roll with it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Wisthekiller
The body would be a ground for you. It'd be the same way you don't get shocked from the strings.

Cheers dude, Thats what i though
Quote by Papabear505
Ok "Mr. Machinist" Next time your at work... Get some 1/2" steel plate, about the size of a guitar body... then stack 3 or 4 of them together, and hang them around your neck like a guitar...

How could it be anything but a Hollow body?
We all have "Duh" moments from time to time... this one was yours.. LMAO

Alright "Jackass", solid steel guitars have been done before. Even by mainstream companies like Ibanez. Here's a solid brass one they done in the late 70s, weighing in around 80lbs. If my Internet were faster I'd find more pictures of solid metal guitars, it's nothing new. It took me about 10 minutes to wait for the Image Search to load on Google for this particular guitar..

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I can't get images to load on UG, let alone watch videos on Youtube
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Alright "Jackass", solid steel guitars have been done before. Even by mainstream companies like Ibanez. Here's a solid brass one they done in the late 70s, weighing in around 80lbs. If my Internet were faster I'd find more pictures of solid metal guitars, it's nothing new. It took me about 10 minutes to wait for the Image Search to load on Google for this particular guitar..

Jackass?

wow... Ok Insecure much?

Ok, you found a one off solid brass guitar... congratulations... It's not solid steel, but it's solid, and metal.... I didn't say it was impossible, but it wasn't what the TS was talking about. Here's the link to the article I found and they "done" this one for a guitar show, because they can... they could have made it out of lead, or concrete (which if your internet speed wasn't so slow you could google and find out that it's already been done as well) or out of the flywheel from a small block Chevy. The idea of making it out of steel plates to me sounded ludicrous, but the TS was fairly serious with his question and seemed to me like he was making playable functional guitar, not a novelty item. I'm thinking that the answer to his question is probably spot welds made far apart so that the heat concentration is held to a minimum not causing the metal to warp, but I'm no expert and as a machinest, you would know those techniques better than I would.

The video that you couldn't watch, but felt the necessity to comment on anyway shows two sheet metal pieces shaped into the front side and back side and then welded together. It's a Hollow body.

So, congratulations you wasted, what appears to be valuable internet time thinking that you would prove me wrong... Ibenez built a solid brass guitar, and according to the article I read it's playable. It's kinda like making a Ferrari into a monster truck. Yea you can do it.. but why?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Jackass?

wow... Ok Insecure much?
I'm not insecure about anything, you're the one who called me out about a guitar being made of a chunk of metal being absolutely absurd and then proceeded to mock my skilled profession. Chillax dude
The idea of making it out of steel plates to me sounded ludicrous, but the TS was fairly serious with his question and seemed to me like he was making playable functional guitar, not a novelty item.
The idea of building one from steel is no more "ludicrous" than building one from acrylic or 40,000 year old timber. It's the challenge and the artist in the builder of using non-standard materials. I commented on the fact he was welding sheet together. It seemed ridiculous for what I thought he was doing. I now understand whats going on. Shoot me. I gave him a serious answer according to what I thought was going on, and will give another based on how I currently understand it.

I recommend doing pie welds with a wire welder, using something thicker than 1mm. As long as you tack some bracing to keep it from warping you'll be alright.

The video that you couldn't watch, but felt the necessity to comment on anyway
Uncalled for, I commented on the fact where I thought he was building a solid body from 1mm plate.
So, congratulations you wasted, what appears to be valuable internet time thinking that you would prove me wrong...
I wasn't trying to prove you wrong on anything, don't be so full of yourself. You thought it was completely ridiculous, I found the first example that came to mind. Its totally possible and has been done (many times). Let's drop this before one of us gets banned over a stupid argument of jackassery.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Let's drop this before one of us gets banned over a stupid argument of jackassery.

AGREED!!...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Flux'D

that is not a steel guitar but a aluminium guitar
there is a difrent in sound
alu guitars looks great but the alu neck works to mutch
a hollow steel body that i make is a combination of a elecktric guitar and a accoustic
steel resonate great and the tone keeps going (power sustain)
hope you undertand my bad englisch