Alright, well I have a squier, but I'm pretty sure you guys will consider it junk, but it's all I got. Also have a peavey vypyr amp it's 15 watts. So basically I have no idea On where to go to start off.

Other things about me

I like cars have a 1967 mustang 289, and a 2005 mustang. I'm only 17 and I'm a senior in high school. Anyways I hope this is a decent first thread, I'll try and get some pics when I get home.

Where should I start learning?..
Well, to be fair the guitar and amp combo youve got isnt complete garbage. I bet the majority of people around the world will have started with something similar. I cut my teeth on one of those Squire starter packs.

Its a good place to learn stuff on here and ask for advice but take everything people say with a pinch of salt. People often think they are giving facts when they are actually opinions
There are a lot of beginner resources on the web. One that sticks out to me is Justinguitar.com. My first guitar was a Squire. It wasn't a great guitar, but it's a good starter. It got me started anyway. Use it to learn all the basics and when your skills improve and you got the money buy something more to your liking.
well, i played for like 6 hours today lol..

I'd like to say i did well, but i only learned like 12 chords and 3 songs..

Songs were Clocks, F You, and lighters.. but eh, ill take it.. my fingers are on fire though :P
Yeah, the first week or two are HELL on your fingers. You're off to a good start. It doesn't really matter how you start. The key is persistence. I hear it all to often from people saying they started playing guitar but gave up because it was to hard or didn't have the time to learn. Even an hour a day is enough. So, no matter how bored you get, and yes, there will be times you get bored form the instrument and constant repetition. But that's part of practicing and it will pay off. You just have to keep at it. And don't worry about your gear. You're a beginner. Most people start out of low end equipment. I'd rather have shitty equipment and can play the thing well, then have expensive equipment and only play a few chords. And just have fun with it. This isn't a contest. Good luck man. Keep at it.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Start by doing finger and picking exercises. In my opinion it will help you to build cordnation most definatly build finger strength. Then move into strumming and ect. Then you should be able to start putting licks, riffs together. Watch how people play on youtube that will help you get an idea and a technique on how other people play. Also, for what you are starting with. Man people have to start somewhere.
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
u should start from tabulatures. Your amp is pretty good u wont need a better one when u are starting Guitar isn't very good but ok. You can also download guitar pro. It helps u learn faster
Tablature (Tabs) is an, I hate to say easier, alternative to learning to read "traditional" sheet music. It's alot easier to learn things with it but it is helpful to learn to read sheet music.

At the main UG page or the little link to the top left of this page you can find gutiar tabs. Type the name of the song you want and it'll give you tabs for it. You should learn to read tabs. There are multiple sites but try this (the first one on google):

http://guitar.about.com/od/tabchordslyrics/ss/read_guitar_tab.htm

So.....
Always practice with a metronome. If you don't have one, go get one.
Alternate/Economy Pick
Practice strumming patterns, it'll help alot and is pretty easy to learn with a metronome.

And I'd recommend you start learning scales if you plan on soloing. Well, even if you're not, it helps alot for practically every genre.
Learning how to read sheet music is up to you but it really isn't hard and I think it's alot easier to sight read that than tabs.

You're gear isn't junk. Vypyrs are good amps and squires are pretty reliable.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I think one of the most important things to do when you're starting off is developing a good rock n' roll/metal face. All the greats had/have one. I've attached a couple examples of what to shoot for.

Unless of course you don't want to play rock n' roll or metal. If that's the case, just get some very dark, cool looking shades and don't ever smile.
Attachments:
randy rhodes.jpg
kirk hammett.jpg
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by Prime2515102
I think one of the most important things to do when you're starting off is developing a good rock n' roll/metal face. All the greats had/have one. I've attached a couple examples of what to shoot for.

Unless of course you don't want to play rock n' roll or metal. If that's the case, just get some very dark, cool looking shades and don't ever smile.

Lol oh yeah that'll make me amazing In no time

But okay when I get home today I'll look into scales/tabs
Quote by Crobattt
Alright, well I have a squier, but I'm pretty sure you guys will consider it junk, but it's all I got. Also have a peavey vypyr amp it's 15 watts. So basically I have no idea On where to go to start off.

Other things about me(Invalid img)

I like cars have a 1967 mustang 289, and a 2005 mustang. I'm only 17 and I'm a senior in high school. Anyways I hope this is a decent first thread, I'll try and get some pics when I get home.

Where should I start learning?..
7 mustang 289, and a 2005 mustang. I'm only 17 and I'm a senior in high school. Anyways I hope this is a decent first thread, I'll try and get some pics when I get home.
Chords. Start with chords.

E, A and D - that's your first step.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Prime2515102

Lol oh yeah that'll make me amazing In no time

But okay when I get home today I'll look into scales/tabs
Quote by steven seagull
Chords. Start with chords.

E, A and D - that's your first step.

I know E A D C G Am Em F (I can Barre it, but not in rhythm) and probably more I can't remember
There you go then, you've already started

Next step is to learn a song that uses those chords...Knocking on Heaven's Door would fit, as would House of the Rising Sun or Freebird (minus solos obviously)
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Oh and I've Played trumpet for the last 7 years, dunno of that means anything :P
Last edited by Crobattt at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Crobattt
Oh and I've Played trumpet for the last 7 years, dunno of that means anything :P

Your neighbours hate you?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Your neighbours hate you?

Nah, I don't have any neighbors the close really. I'm alright at it I suppose
well, i've been playing for 3 days now, im starting to make a cleaner sound, and be able to change chords quicker. I can't feel the tips of the fingers on my left hand, but it's not hurting, so i guess it's alright. Thanks guys
Quote by Crobattt

Yes.......it'll be easier to read sheet music. I played piano before guitar so it was pretty easy to adapt to sheet on guitar.

It'll help alot if/when you decide to play with other people, especially if they aren't guitarists or bassists which is another reason I recommended scales.
If you're looking into scales, you don't have to go too in depth as a beginner, just have fun and enjoy the instrument. Learn the major/minor scales and the pentatonic scales, modes can come later.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i played piano for five years, trumpet for four, drums for a year than stopped and started again about a year ago.

i had a 4.6 at 17, totaled it stupid person decided to t-bone, but most of the difference was behind me.

shortly after a project IROC w/TPI (TPI sucks), sold it a few months later.

1985 IROC. mid 11 sec quarter mile. 400SBC that i built. after a while it threw a rod and cracked a brand new Dart block. got fed up with the car sold it.

1996 Formula LT1 is a 12.8ish last time i tuned it and took it out. still have it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Crobattt
What would I do to start learning to play?

Best advice would be to start learning chords. (Begin with E, A, & D). From there maybe a scale or two (Major/Minor/Pentatonic). Learn the notes up and down the fretboard. I suggest that because for the first handful of years that I played, I didn't care about any of that as I went straight to trying to learn Rage Against The Machine, Blink 182, Godsmack songs (This was 2002) lol. And what a mistake it was, having to go back later on and learn the stuff I should have learned right off the bat when I got serious about my playing. Just my 0.02...
Quote by trashedlostfdup
shortly after a project IROC w/TPI (TPI sucks), sold it a few months later.

1985 IROC. mid 11 sec quarter mile. 400SBC that i built. after a while it threw a rod and cracked a brand new Dart block. got fed up with the car sold it.

1996 Formula LT1 is a 12.8ish last time i tuned it and took it out. still have it.

I was wondering wtf you were talking about until I saw the word car........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?