Poll: Are Live Performances a Dying Art?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are Live Performances a Dying Art?
No, Live Shows Are Killer! :cheers:
59 95%
Yep, Everyone Sucks :sad:
0 0%
No, But Quality Will Be Terrible :cry:
1 2%
Who Cares? :llama:
2 3%
Voters: 62.
Who have YOU seen at a live concert? Did they put on a good show? What was so great about the show?

Do you think the amount of DIY home recording affects the performance of bands in live shows?
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Lots - some were good, others weren't.
Quote by Boer Goat
Do you think the amount of DIY home recording affects the performance of bands in live shows?

No, I don't see why it would.
My two favorite shows were Ozzy and BTBAM. Ozzy is just one helluva entertainer, and at BTBAM, I was crazy into them at the time and the crowd was an ocean of awesome, and I was just went ballistic.
A lot/I don't think I've ever been to a show that was actually bad enough for me to leave/ ability to connect with the audience/no
cat
I listen to the Boston Symphony Orchestra every couple of weeks. Yes, they put on a great show. I don't think I'm going to run into any problems where they screw up any time soon...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I saw Fred Hersch last week. Man's an amazing live player, and talked to the audience. I've also seen Return to Forever, David Sanchez, and McLaughlin/Corea's Five Peace Band, and Pat Metheny. The best part of all of these, hands down, (barring Hersch and Metheny, who were solo players) was watching the groups play off of each other.
I've never been to one.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by smartguyreviews
I saw Fred Hersch last week. Man's an amazing live player, and talked to the audience. I've also seen Return to Forever, David Sanchez, and McLaughlin/Corea's Five Peace Band, and Pat Metheny. The best part of all of these, hands down, (barring Hersch and Metheny, who were solo players) was watching the groups play off of each other.

Whoa, some one into Pat Metheny one here? Awesome!

As for myself, I think the best concert I've been to was the Foo Fighters in November. Those guys are just fricking amazing. I went in there a total Dave fanboy, and came out with so much appreciation for the entire band. They played for an entire 3 hours, old stuff, to new. I thought it was awesome that they played as long as they could, rather than just 2 hours with to call it a show, and then heading off. The merch was also pretty cheap for a concert as well. I got a shirt for $25 as opposed the the $40 that I've seen bands charging in the past. The crowd was just as cool as the Foos seem. Everyone was just having a great time. It was my first time being on the floor, so that also added to the experience. All in all, I consider that show flawless. They were very engaging, they played great music, and the crowd was having a blast. I couldn't ask for anything more at a show.
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
Metallica put on a wicked concert at the Sprint Center awhile back. The atmosphere there was really wicked!

Went to a Skillet concert over the weekend, they are my favorite live performance to date; flames, strobe lights, head banging cellist and violinst. Oh yeah It was wicked.

Three Days Grace threw a really good low dough concert, just music nothing fancy.
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Fat Mike of NOFX paid a girl to give her boyfriend a handjob in the balcony. That was cool.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I've been to well in excess of 100 live shows, most were good, some were great, a few were not so good, but I still had a good time.

Even if the mix is bad, when it comes to overall experience, Live>recorded....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Probably the best overall concert experience I had was when I saw Jonsi on his Go Live tour. The music combined with the absolutely incredible stage design made for a fantastic night. The best kind of shows are ones that appeal to not only your ears, but your eyes as well.

Here's the finale of that tour: Grow Till Tall
You can skip to about the 4-5 minute mark where the song really changes. That's how you end a show...

Watching a clip does no justice to actually being there and experiencing it.
Last edited by happytimeharry at Feb 21, 2012,
Best Ive been to in terms off the performance was manowar, there where only a few hundred people there at the most cause tickets where so expensive but they played an awesome set including all of battle hymns, and it sounded almost exactly like the recording, really was fantastic. Either them or Rush who were also excellent.

Best atmosphere was probably both times ive seen the Answer, the crowd was nuts, opened a big pit both times and there where people crowd surfing and stage diving everywhere. Although metallica was also pretty epic with everyone singing along at the top of their lungs all night.

Never really been to a gig that I would call bad, closest would be Crashdiet. The place was almost empty and they only played like 12 songs. Although those 12 songs where performed very well.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Haven't seen too many. Saw Becoming the Archetype a while back - what is rememberable about that is they had a viking-based storyline for their set other than that it was just plain music and the crowd was great and crazy. I was in the front row being slammed against (exaggeration) the stage right under the lead guitarist with a mosh pit two rows back. Good times.

Saw a Nirvana tribute concert. Also low-budget just music, but they're pretty good performers. The lead guitarist/vocalist is amazing. And the crowd was also great and crazy. Seems like the general crowd trend here.
Manchester Orchestra & An Horse concert was probably the best I've ever seen, Andy Hull is just an emotional performer and I was at the very front, can't beat it.
Since you talk about home recording, I'll take it you're asking about how good the small fish out there are live. Most concerts I go to for small bands have the band putting on a really good performance and the sound guy ruining it by mixing poorly and cranking the volume up way too high.
The only band I have seen live is the Foo Fighters and they were incredible. Most impressive to me was the length of the show. 19 songs plus a 5 song acoustic encore and this was in the middle of a very busy touring schedule. Hard to beat live shows when it comes to the experience.
I don't go to live shows to hear the CD played loudly behind some people jumping around holding instruments. I want it to sound different, and give it some "life" and energy.
Saw Machine Head 3 times while they were touring The Blackening, and they were incredible every time. Best intro to a set I've ever experienced. All 3-5k size indoor venues too so the atmosphere added a lot to it.
Live shows will always be the bigger part of an artist's repertoire.
Muse, Roger Waters, and Rush have been the three best ones I've seen in terms of spectacle.

In terms of pure performance, John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with the Five Peace Band takes the cake by far.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Feb 21, 2012,
Apart from local retards who can't keep a guitar tuned for more than two seconds, I've been to Mark Knopfler and Van Dik Hout.

Both were great performances.
Slayer- head lining it was ****ing amazing beautiful
Megadeth- twice once with rust in peace and at mahem
Death angel- sweet
Testament put on a good show they can't do a wall of death unless its a arena
Anthrax- was the shit
Trivium- i regret that hour of my life more than anything. Worse head ace ever but megedeth was after
In flames-fun
disturbed- don't like them but they put on a good show
Quote by CPDmusic
I'm content with being a horny mutant lizard.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I don't go to live shows to hear the CD played loudly behind some people jumping around holding instruments. I want it to sound different, and give it some "life" and energy.

This times a frabillion.

So far every show I've been to had lots of variation and liveliness. I had to step out for a bit at one concert though because my ears were ready to bleed.
iknowishouldgetearplugs
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
There will always be bands that are amazing live and bands that can hardly play their own stuff live, especially at festivals. However, I saw Megadeth at a festival just a year ago and they were amazing. I knew they were a killer live band but they can still put a great show on at this stage in their career.

To my surprise, Godsmack is a hell of a good live band. I'm not really into them and never have been, but they were at this festival and they were ****ing amazing.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
devin townsend and paul gilbert put on killer shows.they really interact with the crowd yet still play perfectly
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Seen a number of shows in the past couple years, best was frank turner. Who coincidentally I'm seeing tomorrow

Sound quality makes things better when its good but doesn't detract when its not as good, I don't go to hear a CD. I go for the overall quality.

The best I've seen live are frank turner, streetlight manifesto, reel big fish, and rush. Seeing the red hot chili peppers in the summer so they should be up there. And doomtree tonight who look awesome live
i saw buckethead on valentines day 08
he put on an amazing show. nunchuckas, dancing, toys, awesome chops, he has everything

i saw btbam on my birthday, 5/3/11
amazing show. they played their new EP all the way thru, then went into sun of nothing/ants in the sky/white walls then fossil genera and half of swim to the moon, then selkies....at least thats what i think they played :Haha:

amazing performance.

i saw the black keys with my ex, they put on a great performance. a lot of energy coming from two bros.

thats all the good shit. ozzy and zombie was amazing too. lots of pyro, lots of naked chicks, and giant robots, very nice

edit: i also saw the dev last year at slims. the show was too short and he didnt play deconstruction. it was really dissappointing. not saying his performance wasnt great, it wasnt enough dev. only a half hour long show. i was blue balled by the dev.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 21, 2012,
Support acts are generally crap sounding....
They can still put on a good show though

I have never seen a terrible main act....
I mean seriously....a terrible main act would just make demand a refund

Live acts aren't disappearing, more and more musicians are doing it to make more money to record due to illegal downloads
Iron Maiden and Ozzy are excellent live. Iron Maiden were literally spot on for everything, absolutely superb.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I don't like live music unless it's meant to be paired with some sort of visual entertainment, ie. Opera, musical, art exhibit.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Holy Katana

In terms of pure performance, John McLaughlin and Chick Corea with the Five Peace Band takes the cake by far.

The best ever. I got to see them with Brian Blade!
Quote by smartguyreviews

The best ever. I got to see them with Brian Blade!

Same. Although I think Vinnie Colaiuta would've been almost as great.
I've seen Avenged Sevenfold twice, they are a great live band. I've also see Stone Sour, Escape the Fate, Bullet for my Valentine, and Three Days Grace live in the last year and they all were great, and I don't even like Three Days Grace; their show was too god for me to care. I've seen Hollywood Undead and New Medicine live, they suck but you can't win them all.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
*reported*
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing