Im modding my RG350MDX, and one thing that has to go is the EDGE III tremelo, so I'm replacing it with an original floyd rose. I understand that I need to know the neck radius of my RG, and I really don't know it, and after searching the internet the only helpful info I could find was this website (posted below), and I dont know where mine was made, on the back of my headstock it says made in Indonesia, so I really dont know what it is. BTW for those who dont know it is a Wizard II neck. Any help would be great I know this has got to be one of the most commonly known things among hardcore Ibanez players like myself haha

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm
Ok I'm ordering it through beyond eleven, and its asking for it in inches. Whenever I convert 400mm to inches it comes out at just under 15 3/4 inches which isnt listed as an available radius. Do they not make one for my neck size or am I just not doing something right?
here's the deal - Ibanez craft all their necks using Metric units and for some reason Floyd rose (made my Schaller) use imperial units even though they are a German company, so i suppose the closest you'll get to a 400mm neck radius in imperial is 16".

Even though they are a touch pricier I would get an ibanez high quality trem i.e. original edge, edge pro or lo-pro edge. This way you can guarantee that the trem will match your neck's radius
Okay, so not all floyd roses are the same? So say if I just bought the floyd rose and didnt use the nut that came with it, instead just installed the new bridge and left the old nut on, that wouldnt work?
I'd use the nut that comes with the floyd because it will be made of better metal than the nut that came stock with the guitar. And yes, not all floyds are the same - in particular the nuts come with an array of string spacings to fit different guitars. Just measure the nut of your RG and make sure you order the correct Floyd nut. and tbh 400mm and 16" are close enough to not cause any problems.
Quote by gman128
here's the deal - Ibanez craft all their necks using Metric units and for some reason Floyd rose (made my Schaller) use imperial units even though they are a German company, so i suppose the closest you'll get to a 400mm neck radius in imperial is 16".

Even though they are a touch pricier I would get an ibanez high quality trem i.e. original edge, edge pro or lo-pro edge. This way you can guarantee that the trem will match your neck's radius

Oh and btw they are asking the radius of the nut thats why I asked if just replacing the bridge would work^^^
Quote by esredshore657
Oh and btw they are asking the radius of the nut thats why I asked if just replacing the bridge would work^^^

ok i think i understand what you are getting at. Some guitars (Jacksons, charvels and fenders) have compound radius necks - so radius at nut =/= radius at 24th fret.

Ibanez doesn't do this - the radius is the same from the nut to the last fret. (i.e. your wizard 2 will be 400mm all the way down)

You could just buy the bridge and use the stock nut, but every part of a floyd rose system can affect tuning stability.

A crappy nut with a nice floyd bridge will be worse at keeping tune than a floyd nut and a floyd bridge.
Quote by gman128
ok i think i understand what you are getting at. Some guitars (Jacksons, charvels and fenders) have compound radius necks - so radius at nut =/= radius at 24th fret.

Ibanez doesn't do this - the radius is the same from the nut to the last fret. (i.e. your wizard 2 will be 400mm all the way down)

You could just buy the bridge and use the stock nut, but every part of a floyd rose system can affect tuning stability.

A crappy nut with a nice floyd bridge will be worse at keeping tune than a floyd nut and a floyd bridge.

Okay, I didnt know the nut had that much to do with it keeping in tune, I always assummed it was my EDGE III, not to say that isnt it, but its pretty bad I dont even like to use my trem anymore which sucks because its a technique I really want to perfect. I was just gonna keep the nut, use the ofr and lock them down with the things that lock the strings down at the nut (sorry i dont know what theyre called)
yh it's all to do with the quality of the metals being used, I've played countless ibanez guitars with the edge 3, and it doesn't match up to ibanez's own better quality trems or the Original Floyd.
I'm telling you straight about the nut being important because i wouldn't want you to shell out for the floyd bridge and then still have tuning issues because of a sub par nut.

The only thing not that important are the machine heads, because the strings get locked down at the nut, the machine heads only hold the strings in place, but because there is no string movement behind the locking nut, it isn't necessary to use high quality machine heads
Quote by gman128
yh it's all to do with the quality of the metals being used, I've played countless ibanez guitars with the edge 3, and it doesn't match up to ibanez's own better quality trems or the Original Floyd.
I'm telling you straight about the nut being important because i wouldn't want you to shell out for the floyd bridge and then still have tuning issues because of a sub par nut.

The only thing not that important are the machine heads, because the strings get locked down at the nut, the machine heads only hold the strings in place, but because there is no string movement behind the locking nut, it isn't necessary to use high quality machine heads

Yeah thanks for that, So they have a nut size that is 1 11/16 (I measured, this is EXACT) and the only thing they have close is a 15" radius, where as mine is 400mm (converted comes out to be 15.748 inches) Do you think this would work?
yh, should be fine, that is very close, and if you want a floyd, is as good as you can get.
I would expect unless there was a major radius mismatch, you should be ok.

Think about it this way - a lot of those compound radius jacksons and charvels have floyds on them - (radius goes from 12"-16") - and they work fine with the floyd that you are about to buy.
Quote by gman128
yh, should be fine, that is very close, and if you want a floyd, is as good as you can get.
I would expect unless there was a major radius mismatch, you should be ok.

Think about it this way - a lot of those compound radius jacksons and charvels have floyds on them - (radius goes from 12"-16") - and they work fine with the floyd that you are about to buy.

Okay, Thanks alot!