In the past 5 months I've started tutoring guitar since I'm on my gap year before Uni and I just wanted to gig and teach to see what kind of income I can get from the year.

Anyways, I had a lesson booked for 1 in the aftermoon today and an hour before my lesson my student texts me to say that she could not make the lesson and that she'd be happy to pay for the hour (I only charge £10 Ph) and if she could book a lesson for next week. So I said that was fine and that I was sorry to say that she would have to pay for the lesson because she never gave me 24 hours notices prior to the lesson. My tutors used to do the same thing and so do many others.

I told my Mum about it and she thinks it's wrong to take the money for a lesson I never taught since I've only just started teaching. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it since I prepared lessons and another student could of had that time slot.

So, am I in the wrong or right?

Thanks
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
In the past 5 months I've started tutoring guitar since I'm on my gap year before Uni and I just wanted to gig and teach to see what kind of income I can get from the year.

Anyways, I had a lesson booked for 1 in the aftermoon today and an hour before my lesson my student texts me to say that she could not make the lesson and that she'd be happy to pay for the hour (I only charge £10 Ph) and if she could book a lesson for next week. So I said that was fine and that I was sorry to say that she would have to pay for the lesson because she never gave me 24 hours notices prior to the lesson. My tutors used to do the same thing and so do many others.

I told my Mum about it and she thinks it's wrong to take the money for a lesson I never taught since I've only just started teaching. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it since I prepared lessons and another student could of had that time slot.

Thanks

You have the right to charge for your time. You're student obviously understands and respects this.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
You have the right to charge for your time. You're student obviously understands and respects this.

That's exactly what I said to my Mum. Aslong as my student is fine with it, there's no problem.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
You're absolutely in the right.

Your slot of time is committed money to you, which means if the person doesn't cancel with ample time for you to fill the slot...then you're effectively losing money and wasting your time. It's a great insurance policy for students to make it to lessons, and to think ahead if they can't make it.
You prepared the lesson, you set aside the time, you didn't have enough notice. Demand to be treated as a professional - you don't cancel the lawyer on the day and ignore the invoice.
You are in the right - I had to fork over 50 quid to my guitar teacher one week because I couldn't attend (and didnt inform him) the previous week, but I understood (as your student does) that the guy has to secure his income, and that I had wasted his time. Ill have the same policy if I ever start teaching.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by Freepower
You prepared the lesson, you set aside the time, you didn't have enough notice. Demand to be treated as a professional - you don't cancel the lawyer on the day and ignore the invoice.

Unless you're legally aided! (Smashes head on desk)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Tokai09

Thanks

You're in the right.

Not enough notice given, you could've had somebody else in the slot etc etc.

Start as you mean to go on. Time is precious.
Quote by prezofbfclub
opportunity cost bitch

Out of interest, is this statement coming from a legal background?

I simply ask this b/c there's a case which involves hiring gear (from memory a lighting system). The gear wasn't used for the full amount of time, and the hirer's didn't want to pay for the hiring cost of gear they didn't use.

That's very rough, off memory from a couple of years ago.

Anyways it formed the statement "loss of opportunity".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Unless you're legally aided! (Smashes head on desk)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
your entitled to the business and the money, but you also want to do the right thing as far as building your business, and teaching is your business.

I would suggest charging her for the lesson, but telling her you will give her a credit or a free lesson at the end of the year or something. Maybe after 10 more lessons... something like that.
he of tranquil mind