Howdy ho UG'ers. Title says it. I'm in the market for a Tube Amp. I'm on a budget so I will be buying used. I've been looking at a few. The Peavey XXX really catches my attention. I can get it used for $600. I would have to save up for about 2 months though. Then I saw the B52 AT100. That doesn't sound too bad. I can get that for $300 next payday. But, ultimately I want the Bugera 333XL. But, I hear people talking about reliability with them. I play most forms of metal. Children of Bodom, Scar Symmetry, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Disturbed, bands like that. So, what I"m looking for is peoples PERSONAL opinion on these amps. Hopefully being as they've played them. I'm new to Tube amps, so I don't want to just blow a shit load of money on an amp i don't know how to EQ. So please, be gentle. Later.

EDIT: Other metal amp suggestions would be appreciated as well. Within price range of about $600 please
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Last edited by smithmetal at Feb 21, 2012,
the 333XL is somewhat like an XXX. More like a JSX, actually.
I'd get the XXX, they're sturdy as fuck and stuff.
Bugeras tend to have problems.

The XXX is made in the US, as far as I know.

Never tried the B52.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I honestly havent played a XXX or the B-52 but I just got a 333XL for just under 600$ shipped brand new. Its really a killer amp. With a 6l6 re-tube you could get what would probably be closer to a XXX sound but right now I'm really happy with the EL34's.

I know the Bugeras had/have a bad rep because of past issues but seeing as they have a 3 year warranty now I'm pretty confident.
Quote by DeathMetalJesus
I honestly havent played a XXX or the B-52 but I just got a 333XL for just under 600$ shipped brand new. Its really a killer amp. With a 6l6 re-tube you could get what would probably be closer to a XXX sound but right now I'm really happy with the EL34's.

I know the Bugeras had/have a bad rep because of past issues but seeing as they have a 3 year warranty now I'm pretty confident.

$600 brand new and shipped? Where did you get that deal at?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I thought they were $800. Sweet.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Last edited by smithmetal at Feb 21, 2012,
I got a used 40 W Peavey XXX combo from Guitar Center for $350 last year. I love it.

The only downside is that it's really loud. I use a volume pedal in the effects loop and I still wish I could make it quieter, so it might not the best amp for home practice.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
I did research on Bugeras, and they are a serious fire-hazard. Stay away from them if you don't want your place in flames.
Thank you for the information. So if I do go Bugera, get the Infinium model. I was also looking at the JCA100H. That one doesn't seem to bad either.
The only problem I've ever had with my 333XL is my housemates telling me to turn it down. Sounds awesome and the reliability problems are a thing of the past. If you want to be safe, go with the Infinium model.
Love what I'm hearing about the Bugera's. That's the amp I'm shooting for. But I also love the sound of the Triple XXX. But, used that thing is $600. And the Bugera new is the same price. So, I'll probably go with the Bugera. Thank you all for the info. I'm still open to ideas by the way. zzounds doesn't get any in until March 26th they say. So have at it by all means.
You could eventually try swapping out the EL34's with 6L6's to get closer to the XXX sound with the Bugera. The Bugera 333 (not the XL) is supposed to be modeled after the XXX and the main difference is the power tubes.
Better a used Ultra/XXX/JSX than a new 333. Especially in the States, XXX's seem to be pretty easy to find for a good price on CL over there. Good solid, reliable amps - words you don't normally associate with Bugera.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As a previous bugera owner, I'd go with a peavey. My bug sounded good, but it was pretty loosely held together. I babied that thing, and though it never broke on me, about every part on there besides the transformers was cheap. My peavey is made in china as well, but just by picking it up, opening it up and seeing inside it, its easy to see this thing is a lot tougher. The bugs sound good, but not better than the peaveys, and. I would say a 20 year old peavey has more life left in it than a new bug, now consider, the triple x is made in america, where one could assume that quality is of a higher standard (unless you're gibson of course)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If you like the 333XL, save up for a used JSX. It's the amp that the 333XL is copying, and it's really, really good. And it won't shit the bed on you for no reason. Well worth the money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a 6260 and its a decent amp. It sounds great, has changable power tubes a better clean channel than the amp its based off of and has yet to die on me after almost 2 years of owning it. I don't really have any complaints, for what I paid its a pretty good amp.
What transformers do the Bugeras have? I'm guessing something made in-house at Behringer City, yes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What transformers do the Bugeras have? I'm guessing something made in-house at Behringer City, yes?

I believe so, but they were very substantial, and looked sharp. Most techies I showed it to were fairly impressed by the iron. I wouldn't really know what in a transformer's appearance is a give away for quality, other than size, but most more knowledgeable people who saw my amp seemed impress with it, especially considering that it was such a cheap amp. I do know those bastards were big.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.