Hi all i'm thinking about a new amp, at the moment i'm using an Orange TH30 and a 2X12 OB Orange cab. I love the sound/tone i get but when i try to pick out the bass notes as well as play chords it all tends to mush together. I really enjoy playing Guns and Roses music and any classic rock. I have been listening to a Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern 50 Watt All Valve Head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjs14AEk12c. and this amp sounds excellent to me. My questions are, in theory will the Marshall get me closer to the guns tone that i'm looking for? And if i change to this head should i get a new cab as well or would my Orange 2x12 be ok,thanks,,,Paul.
What sort of guitar are you using? And what sort of EQ settings? I've played a few Orange heads in my time and the one thing I've always been able to do is pull out a nice, clear and crunchy overdrive tone, if you've got a decent guitar and the right settings there shouldn't be anything even resembling 'mush'.

Maybe too much gain or not enough midrange? Don't get me wrong, the marshall is a damn fine amp and will give you everything you want and more for classic rock, and there'd be no need to change cabs, I use a Marshall JVM into an orange 4x12 and it 's an amazing combination. But a lack of clarity should never be a problem for an all-valve Orange.
Use less gain, get an EQ pedal to shape the tone better, get an OD to tighten it up if you like the TH30's tone.
If you want Marshally tone, you won't get it from that Orange.
Oranges tend to be rather dark and fuzzy compared to Marshalls.
I personally don't like Oranges for much else than Classic Rock and Stoner Rock/Metal.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thanks for the reply, i'm using a Slash epi LP there is no eq on the th30 just a shape knob. I have tried it with less gain and it does help with the bass notes but then i loose the tone.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Use less gain, get an EQ pedal to shape the tone better, get an OD to tighten it up if you like the TH30's tone.
If you want Marshally tone, you won't get it from that Orange.
Oranges tend to be rather dark and fuzzy compared to Marshalls.
I personally don't like Oranges for much else than Classic Rock and Stoner Rock/Metal.

As you say they are a bit fuzzy, do you really think an eq pedal will do the job.
Quote by paul w1
As you say they are a bit fuzzy, do you really think an eq pedal will do the job.

You could definately shape the tone better, but it won't turn your Orange into a Marshall.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ok guys what do you think of my choice of amp, do you think it would be a good move? i do.
Open back cabs are not gonna be tight. I bet thats a big part of your problem.

And if you want a great marshall tone, look at Splawn amps they will run circles around any marshall.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Personally, the Orange sound has not ever really done it for me. I do like the AD-30, but outside of that... meh. The rest are all too dark, fuzzy and muddy sounding. Prefer the bark of a Marshall.

Vintage Modern sounds ok, but you're better off with a JCM800 if the Guns N' Roses sound is what you are after.
Thanks again guys, i can get a new 2266 for £550, the only JMC800 i can find is the 2203 vintage series 100w and it's £1260 so you can see why i'm looking at the 2266.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Open back cabs are not gonna be tight. I bet thats a big part of your problem.

And if you want a great marshall tone, look at Splawn amps they will run circles around any marshall.

So the cab could be the problem as well.
Quote by al112987
Personally, the Orange sound has not ever really done it for me. I do like the AD-30, but outside of that... meh. The rest are all too dark, fuzzy and muddy sounding. Prefer the bark of a Marshall.

Vintage Modern sounds ok, but you're better off with a JCM800 if the Guns N' Roses sound is what you are after.

As the owner of a Vintage Modern I would definitely say it is one of the best Marshalls for classic rock. Especially Guns 'N Roses.

Slash even uses/d them live before he got his AFD sig.

It's an awesome amp. I have the 50 watt head into the matching 425A cab.

I have never had a problem getting any sort of tone from it from 50's through to grungy 90's sounds. It's a great amp.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
As the owner of a Vintage Modern I would definitely say it is one of the best Marshalls for classic rock. Especially Guns 'N Roses.

Slash even uses/d them live before he got his AFD sig.

It's an awesome amp. I have the 50 watt head into the matching 425A cab.

I have never had a problem getting any sort of tone from it from 50's through to grungy 90's sounds. It's a great amp.

Thanks very much that's very helpfull, i know nothing about cabs. GAK are doing a deal the 2266 and a 1960a cab for £999 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/marshall-2266-vintage-modern-50-watt-all-valve-head/4360 is that cab ok?
Quote by paul w1
Thanks very much that's very helpfull, i know nothing about cabs. GAK are doing a deal the 2266 and a 1960a cab for £999 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/marshall-2266-vintage-modern-50-watt-all-valve-head/4360 is that cab ok?

If I remember correctly, I think that's the industry standard Marshall cab. So yeah, it's very popular. I got my head and cab brand new from Nevada Music in Portsmouth for around £1100. I'm not sure the exact price. It's an amazing amp. But for the love of God, don't get the combo. I played it as it would have been much more convenient than the backbreaking halfstack I currently have, but the combo (to me) sounded like ass. Halfstack is a pain in the ass to get around, but it sounds a lot better.
Thanks again guys i'm now just sitting here trying to talk myself into ordering it,,,Paul.
One last question guys, when you use the mid boost /dynamic range i take it you still have full control over the EQ. The reason i ask is because when i uead a nightrain 15w, if you used the boost switch it took the EQ out.
Yes. The EQ works with both the midboost and both dynamic ranges. However, it is obviously a shared EQ.

My only complaint with the amp, is that the high dynamic range is a fair bit louder than the low.
That's ok then, i just saw the size of this head and a 4x12 and it's twice the size of my TH30 and 2x12. I may ask GAK if they can do me a deal on the 1936 CAB 2X12 i think this has the same speakers. I play at home most of the time with friends so i think a 2x12 will be fine, yes?