Hey guys

I Just started playing guitar and i bought an epiphone Les Paul custom, i (intend to )play blues and classic rock kinda music just wodering witch brand and kind of strings would be more suitble for that if you could give me some -help

Thanks guys
Last edited by peetspoon at Feb 21, 2012,
You must mean Les Paul Custom. I use ernie ball regular slinky's on my custom and they sound good to me!
Quote by afatguitarist
Use ernie ball not even slinkys thats what JimmyPage uses
They are a bit too thick. Can't imagine a beginner bending them on standard tuning.

Get Ernie Ball Regular Slinky or Top Skinny Heavy Bottom if you play in standard tuning.
10-56 d'addarios
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by afatguitarist
Use ernie ball not even slinkys thats what JimmyPage uses

No they're not. If anything Page used Ernie Ball extra slinkies.
Quote by al112987
No they're not. If anything Page used Ernie Ball extra slinkies.

Yeah , Page uses super slinky`s
Don't worry too much about strings. The Ernie Ball Slinkies are a fine place to start, but any brand of strings in .10's is going to be fine and you won't be able to tell much difference until you play for a while.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Perferably the metal ones.. .the nylon ones really don't do much for the sound when you plug it in..

sorry feeling a bit crumudgeony today.

If you're playing blues, that means for me anyway, lots of string bending... I use 9's now, but used 10's when I played every day and could maintain my calluses... 9's make the bends easier, but 10's sound fuller.. Trade offs...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've had Ernie Ball regular slinky's, super slinky's, and power slinky's. The regular slinky's would be good for your playing. I like the power slinky's the most. But thats just me.
EB's but I have to admit, I haven't tried many.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Get any 9 or 10 gauge of strings. Brand isn't that important.

I started with a 10 but most people seem to start with 9s
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I started with a 10 but most people seem to start with 9s
Same.
yhe seems i gonna have to see what suits me best, just bought the EB regular slinkys 10 , dint try them yet.
Thanks for the heads up and help guys
Last edited by peetspoon at Feb 22, 2012,
10-52 ernie balls. once you are comfortable with them move up to 11-54. thats what im using.. you get a massive tone out of them, and end up with amazingly strong fingers.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Not much love for D'Addario's here! Have I been using the wrong strings all my life?! I use Super Light 9-42s.
I prefer 10's on a Les Paul, but for a beginner I'd say go for 9's,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I really like Ernie Ball Power Slinkies if you're looking for a rock/blues sound. They're 48-11's, and my only complaint is that the G string is a bit thick. It's 18P if I remember, you might consider a 17 instead.
-Epiphone Dot
-Schecter Omen 6
-Dean Markley Acoustic
-Vox Pathfinder 15R
-Vox Lil' Nightrain
-BOSS ME-70
Last edited by bluesrocker137 at Feb 22, 2012,
One thing you need to know, and this is very important. Your guitar must set up properly for the gauge of the strings you choose to use. You can either set up yourself, or as I prefer, find a gold certified Gibson repair tech to set it up for you. It is totally worth it. Every time you change gauge, your set up will need to change because the tension is different.
Yes because Les Pauls are so complicated to maintain o_O

Switching between 9's and 10's is barely going to make a difference, intonation won't change, truss rod shouldn't need adjusting, action probably won't even need changing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Use the lightest ones you can buy that will give you a reasonable tension in the tuning of your choice. No real reason for heavy strings in standard tuning, unless you just like to work hard and tear up your fingertips.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I disagreed, Steven. 9 and 10 are huge difference in terms of tension. Have you ever changed the string gauge on a floating bridge before? That is one way to tell you how different 9s are from 10s. There is so much tension that, you need an extra spring in many cases. Les Paul is no different, just with a hard tail, but the tension is still there.
Quote by bluesrocker137
I really like Ernie Ball Power Slinkies if you're looking for a rock/blues sound. They're 48-11's, and my only complaint is that the G string is a bit thick. It's 18P if I remember, you might consider a 17 instead.

Try 22p..

I dont find them hard to bend any more..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
it will come down to preference. I like 9s most, i can play 10s but really prefer and set up all my guitars with 9s. I like ernie ball slinkys but again this is just preference. You should be fine with 9s or 10s without any issues. If you get D'addario or Ernie Ball brands you should have no issues.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
10s have better tone and they don't break as easy. If you are just playing at home, 9 will be fine but 10 will help to built strength in your fingers. I pick hard and I lead Worship on Sundays, I can't afford to have broken strings so I always use 10s.
However, if you do play out everyday, 9s might be easier on your hands, but you should have a back up guitar.