I can think of at least three forums into which this thread could go, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong one... Anyway, here goes:

I want to record some feedback using Audacity. When I record guitar parts, I use a line in from my amp (Roland Cube) directly into my computer, which provides reasonably good quality. However now that I'm wanting to record feedback (which obviously needs a speaker at a high volume), I won't be able to record using the line in, because it mutes the amp's speaker. I don't want to mic the amp, as I don't have a mic and don't want to buy one.

The only idea I've had is to split the signal from my guitar, then run half through my Cube to create the feedback I want, and the other half through a Vox AmPlug and into my computer. Anyone got any feedback (ololol) on this idea? Will splitting the signal reduce te sound quality? Thanks in advance
I ran into this problem with many songs that I try to cover. A quick method to recording feedback with the line in is actually playing the note that sounds like the feedback with higher frets or hitting a harmonic. I tend to find the note within 3 attempts. Then I usually fade in with my DAW.

Hope That Helps.
You record using your computer's line in & you want good quality? Sorry, that isn't going to happen.

If you want to record decent quality on your PC, you need to get a proper interface. You'll also be far better off getting over your desire to not buy a mic and purchase a decent one of those too.

Good things do not come for free. If you want a quality recording you're going to have to buy the proper kit.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
As I said in the OP, the quality I'm getting is satisfactory. If you'd read my post properly you would have known that I am asking for advice on how to record feedback, which I can't do in the same way as everything else I'm recording.
Here's how I did it once, at a pretty low volume, and it turned out beautifully.

I used a Behringer V-amp (actually, the X-V-amp) and dialed in my sound that I was going to record direct.

Instead of monitoring through headphones, since I'm recording direct anyways, I monitored with my monitors. I turned them up a little, but with the amount of gain I had on the V-amp, I didn't need to turn them up much. I held the guitar up in front of one of my 6" drivers and it just fed back the way it would in front of a stack, only at a volume you could probably carry on a conversation over.

The result is in my profile. Listen to the intro and first verse of Unsaid.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Failing what Chris suggested (and by the way, Gary is correct that recording line-in is a rather lo-fi way of recording, though if you're happy I guess that's all that matters), the best solution would just be to find an online sample library where you can find some royalty-free samples of feedback and blend them to your own taste. Not only will this be much easier to get a decent control over the feedback you want, but it is also more likely to be recorded to a cleaner quality as I'd imagine it is pretty fumbly trying to get feedback of a similar level as when running through a decent amp at high volume.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.