Hi,

It's really easy to identify alot of guitarists from their playstyles (Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert, EVH etc.) propably that's why they are guitar legends haha So I was wondering if there would be any tips to get me find my own tone and own sound with my guitar? Does it just develop after years or is there any way that could improve the development because I don't want to sound like someone else by learning their licks.
I want for find my own personality!
Well i would say it develops after years of playing.

The more you learn from different players you enjoy the faster it goes though, the more you know the better. Best way to get into your own style though would prob be to start writing some own stuff. Imagine a comp/melody/phrase in your head that you think sounds good, then find it on your instrument and learn it. The more you do it the easier, then your style will develop aswell.

I'm sorry if this was hard to read or less helpful, i'm really tired..
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Well first you must play what you like to play and not force anything that will kill your inspiration. As you play and play the influence of your favorite music will be heard trough your playing but if you are creative at practice and practice creativity and imagination more than anything, you will have your own thing too.

When you listen to Frusciante you hear Hendrix but you also hear John.
When you listen to Angus and Slash you get a little bit of Jimmy Page in there.

The list goes on and on, but it´s the creativity that counts.

Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirgNGcjLa4

This is Paul Gilbert in his formative years. You get your own playing style by taking bits of other people's styles and altering them on your own terms once you have a more instinctive understanding of the guitar.

No one picked up the guitar and got a fully formed style, everyone studied someone and built on it. Sometimes they didn't study a guitarist's work but they all studied someone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 21, 2012,
Your own style is the summation of all the phases you will go through over the years, don´t worry about it, your taste will change every other year, every phase will leave some colour in your style.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirgNGcjLa4

This is Paul Gilbert in his formative years. You get your own playing style by taking bits of other people's styles and altering them on your own terms once you have a more instinctive understanding of the guitar.

No one picked up the guitar and got a fully formed style, everyone studied someone and built on it. Sometimes they didn't study a guitarist's work but they all studied someone.

Steve Vai studied Frank Zappa. He transcribed for Zappa for three years and performed with Zappa. Not only a written study but a play with study too! Now look at how different the two are in music. Amazing huh?

I know, I'm to much into Steve Vai at the moment
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
The best way to find YOUR style is to play around with your instrument. Find the intervals and note combinations that you like the most; and develop your own licks from those. And from those licks you can incorporate it into your solos and playing style.

Also to find your tone, the best way is to just play around with the gear you have. My tone varies every gig. I always make adjustments, depending on the place; be it in Mids, Treble, Bass on my amp, or the settings on my pedal.

So just experiment with the stuff above and keep on playing and it all should come together.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks