I recently bought this amp, Im not sure of the age but my friend bought it 2 years ago used and it still has the original ruby tubes in it. I know it has 6 pre amp tubes and 4 power amp tubes.Im thinking of replacing all of them.I dont know too much about tube amps, or how to tell if the tubes are bad and what not. Im thinking one is going bad cuz i get some microphonic noise. I know you have to bias the power tubes, I have a meter and im good with wiring and what not so that wont be a problem. I dont play super heavey but I have the gain around 6. Im in a pop punk band. I would like to know what tubes would be good for me. some one said if the pre amp tubes are working then not to replace them, any insite would be great!!
Last edited by Mouth Full at Feb 21, 2012,
You probably don't need new power tubes. They last a fairly long time.

However, if this is your first retube, you should get some anyway, just so you have backups.

Your issue sounds like one of the preamp tubes is going. They have shorter lives.

For pretty much any Peavey amp (or pretty much any modern amp, really), you can't go wrong with JJ's. They sound especially good in 6505 amps anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Your issue sounds like one of the preamp tubes is going. They have shorter lives.

Going to have to disagree with you on that one.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Tubes of course have a wide variation of "random-ness", but that has been my personal experience. If I am in the minority, then I apologize
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never had a pre-amp valve go and I was under the impression they could last 20 years or longer.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
some people say that the power tubes last along time and some people say they loose tone over a while.My friend played live for 2 years with it and at pratice plus what ever the other guy that owned it before.With per amp tubes do you need to buy all the same tubes so there matched or not? last tube amp I had only had 4 pre amp tubes whats the reasoning for the extra 2? I know its completely different amp but I would like to know more about tube amps.
I guess i am more worried if the amp has lost any of its tone I want it to be running 100% and not break during a live show.
ps it says on a plate 03 so im assuming 2003?the pre amp tubes are jj the top of one of them has a red tint to it the otheres are darker.
Preamp tubes last longer than power amp tubes most of the time. If you're retubing, you should buy a full set of tubes and keep any spares as backups. For the Preamp, either go all JJ's or one Tung Sol in V1 and the rest JJ's (12AX7). For the Power tubes, SED Winged =C= are usually considered the best, with JJ being a close second place (although JJ is the best value). For Preamp tubes, matching is unnecessary, but for Power Amp tubes, matching is necessary. The reason this amp might have more preamp tubes than a previous amp is because it has an effects loop, or just more gain stages. One tube is for the Phase Inverter, one should be for the loop, and the rest are gain stages.

To figure out which preamp tube is microphonic, grab a pencil and tap each tube with it while your amp is on. Whichever one makes a ringing noise through your amp is the microphonic one. Alternatively, you can swap a new tube in each slot one at a time and when the noise goes away, you've found the culprit.
which pre is v1? and whats the reasoning behind putting a differnt tube in that and using jj in the other 5? IM deff more worried about quality then price.I would like the best sound I can get
also is it true that even if the power tubes are working that you loose tone with age?
Power tubes do lose tone as they start to die, but up until the end of their lifespan, it's not like they steadily degrade.

The V1 slot is the first Preamp tube slot. It should tell you in your manual which one that is. The reason to put a Tung Sol in that position is it will brighten up your amp a little bit and give it a different feel. Different tubes have different sounds to them, and putting different tubes in different positions in the amp will yeild different effects on the amp. A lot of 6505 owners like to put a Tung Sol in V1and then run JJ's in the rest of the preamp. You'll probably want JJ's ECC83S's, although the ECC803S's are good as well.

The best person to talk to about tubes is Cathbard here on the forums.
update.I left the ruby power tubes in and changed out the pre amp tubes.I had jj ecc83s i bought some mesa spax7 and groove tube 12xa7. The mesa was exactually perfect.It now has a brighter, tighter sound.I totally love this amp now.The jj tubes were kinda muddy idk if they were just old or what but I didnt like them.
Hey man!

Just to build a little on what Blktiger0 said, V1 is usually the tube closest to the input jack on the amp. I know you said you're happy with your tone now, but another thing I might suggest, if you're good with ebay and have a few extra dollars to spend, is see if you can find a couple 5751 tubes by GE, RCA, or especially Philips. The 5751 is a direct replacement for a 12ax7, but has slightly less gain and much less background noise. I loaded my Peavey Ultra+, which is quite similar to the 6505 tone-wise, with 5751s, and the tone was dramatically improved to my ears, and it was much less noisy. If you decided to go that route, I'd try to get my hands on at least 2 of em and put one in V1 and the other in the phase inverter, which would be V6 in your amp.

Just a suggestion you might try if you so desire.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion