i am gonna upgrade the stock pups in an epiphone les paul plus top. I like sorta vintagy sounding PAF type humbuckers. The epi's sound ok they have a vintage kinda sound but they are not the best because they are a bit muffled and lack clarity.

In the past i have owned the seymour duncan JB and 59 set, my tastes as it goes on that is i actually thought they had a little to much clarity and sounded a little on the sterile side because of it. To clean without enough gritt and punch to them. Good pickups 8/10 to me but not perfect.

So i had considered a gibson classic 57 but it costs almost twice as much as the competetion so currently i am looking at the wide range of Dimarzio classic style pickups.

36 anniversary PAF bridge pickup
PAF Pro pickup for the neck
Joe Satriani model paf

And also the bluesbucker which is a humbucker sized p-90. I love p-90's in les paul specials but i am not sure how well that will translate in les paul plus stop standard body. I usually use the bridge pickup about 80% of the time. So to get a completely different and versatile sound i thought maybe it would work out to the bluesbucker p-90 in the neck and one of the above classic humbuckers in the bridge. I would run about 120$ for both which is why i think Dimarzio's are a good value to quality choice option for me.

The difficulty is dimarzio does not have a sound comparsion audio chart that i know of.

I am interesting in hearing opinions and experiences with these pickups. Do my choices sound like they would be good for a epi les paul?
I really like the PAF Pro and Air Norton for that "PAF" sounds. The Pro is a bit more of a modern take on the sound though.

The Joe Satriani models are great too but don't sound like a PAF.
Dimarzio 36th Anniversary is ok. Nice pickup for the price. They're definitely the best in the Dimarzio lineup if you want a more vintage Les Paul sound. The rest of their PAF line sound nothing like an original Gibson PAF, no idea why they're even advertised as such. My current hands-down, best on the market, imo PAF reissue though, is the Seymour Duncan Antiquity. Duncan Seth Lovers are nice too, but I like the Antiquities more.

Outside of that, there are a bunch of boutique PAF clones, but they're all around $300-$600 a set which is way more than you're willing to pay.

If you don't want to pay a ton, look at the 36th Anniversary, if you can stretch your budget a little bit, consider the Antiquities.

This guy has a few videos comparing different pickups...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUcrO2ipbA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndd60ztA7VM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKAOvfqWWCc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnILD3T_Pac&feature=related

The ones that I watched were the Dimarzio, Holmes, Shaws and Bareknuckles. It's not really a fair comparison I suppose because Holmes cost $600 a set, Shaws run for quite a bit now these days too. Imo, the best sounding of those are the Shaws or Holmes easily. Thought the 36th Anniversary neck sounded the best of all of them...
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 22, 2012,
al112987 , thank you very much. I had heard that the antiquities are a premium priced pickup because of the cosmetic aging process and that a non aged version sounds exactly the same at a cheaper price.

I think we nailed it though on the 36th anniversary , that is like a 65$ dollar pickup so i think it's winner for me. It would be cool to have some of those boutique pickups but alot of things would be cool for 600$ . I am gonna check out the youtube vids now.
Another question that comes to mind is, is it better to have it covered or uncovered? Does it sound better without a pickup cover?
I have the 36's b&n in my Epi Dot and they are great for blues, jazz, rock, and if you tweak your gear right, some modern stuff. But all around great pickups.
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by changeling93305
al112987 , thank you very much. I had heard that the antiquities are a premium priced pickup because of the cosmetic aging process and that a non aged version sounds exactly the same at a cheaper price.

I think we nailed it though on the 36th anniversary , that is like a 65$ dollar pickup so i think it's winner for me. It would be cool to have some of those boutique pickups but alot of things would be cool for 600$ . I am gonna check out the youtube vids now.

Well... they're similar pickups, but I wouldn't say the same. The non-aged Antiquity that you're hearing about is probably the Seth Lover pickup, which is also very good. The differences come down to a little more than cosmetics, but they do sound similar. The Antiquity is a little hotter, imo, and is not quite as bright. It still has plenty of highs but they're a little rounder and sweeter. Both are great pickups, but the Seth Lovers aren't cheap either. I think the Ants are $120/pickup and the Seths are $110. I got my Ants used for about $85 a pop. I lucked out because I found a hotter bridge than typical (I think mine reads about 8.7k) with double cream bobbins.

Regardless, the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickup is a nice pickup for the price.