I've been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I just want to know typically what I should be able to do after 1 year? Thanks!
(I know it varies for everybody but IN GENERAL what should i know to do)
Play basic open chords, maybe a few bar chords, and read/understand basic music theory.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
It also depends on what style of guitar playing you play. Metal has a different skill set than country obviously. Generally I would say playing everything you have learned thus far cleanly or cleaner. Really all you can aim for is progress.

You shouldn't have trouble with any chords or lower tempo leads. You should have a good grasp of the instrument and it should feel comfortable. Learn some scales for practice/writing and dive into some theory if you can. Power chords, palm muting, alternate picking - all at a tempo that is at at least half of what your aiming for. There's exceptions to that though, so it depends on what your playing.
You should be able to have fun.

There you have it. The only milestone that you NEED (assuming you do it for nothing more than a hobby) to play guitar. Or any instrument for that matter.
Comparing yourself to someone else achieves nothing. I've been playing for 12 years now (geez that sounds like a long time) and I still want to improve more. But if I compare myself to say Nuno Bettencourt or Paul Gilbert after the same stage of learning, well I may as well just throw the guitars in the corner and find a new hobby.

Just set your own goals, and work to achieve them. If you've improved (or you're happier) with your playing from a year ago, that should be enough to satisfy you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
well, I can sweep and I'm just a bit past a year. some people have trouble alternate picking at this time, really I don't think there is much of a general place to be.
After a year of playing you should be able to play "A Horse With No Name"
Fender Highway One Strat
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4/10
Epiphone Sheraton
Crate 60W
Squire Strat Bass
Peavey Nitro Bass Amp, 2x10, 1x15
Alvarez Master Series Classical
Blue Ridge Acoustic
Quote by AlanHB

Just set your own goals, and work to achieve them. If you've improved (or you're happier) with your playing from a year ago, that should be enough to satisfy you.

/thread
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol