e-12-------------12------------12----------
B----15h12---------15h12-------15h12--
G-------------14-------------14------------14

I don't think the old guitar players sweep picked this lick, maybe the first two notes sweeped then a downstroke on the 14?? This has been bothering me for dayyyys

Your thoughts would be appreciated
I do something like that, I always down pick the first note, up pick and pull-off the second and then up pick the last
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I would personally use Down, Up, Pull off, Up. That way, you're using a down stroke every time you hit the first and highest note; since most people's down strokes are stronger than their up strokes, it'll emphasize that note more. Not to mention that it's a very economical way of picking it.
I pick this kind of stuff like Paul Gilbert. Up, down, pull off, down.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Watch Crazy Train After hours on youtube and Randy's picking hand on that lick. Notice he starts on an Up stroke then Down stroke (pull off) Up stroke.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
^
the only trouble with that is when you go back to repeat the lick, you're making a really large movement in order to start on an upstroke.

Really you could play it with any picking pattern you find is most comfortable. I'd probably use the one I mentioned above, though I might also do what Junior mentioned and alternate pick the whole thing. What matters is what pattern gets the sound you want and what feels most comfortable to you.
^

Randy was good at large picking gaps. He would often just angle his hand a little and his long thumb nail would get it easy.

I know it's sad I know this much about Randy Use to be a Rhoads fan for 2 years, strictly Randy every day
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I like to use outside picking, but that just seems like counter intuitive way of playing that passage. I'd forgotten how good he was, though. I went back and listened to some of his live solos.... damn, could that little guy shred it up. His picking hand looks so relaxed, too. Imagine how good he could have gotten if he'd lived.
Alt pick.

down-up-down sweep down-up-down

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 26, 2012,