Hey guys I just bought an EC1000 with the floyd rose... this is my first floyd and I had the store I bought it from tune it to D standard, now a couple months later I'm looking to put her in standard with some new strings, but the same type I have on right now. Is this a long difficult process to set the floyd to standard ? The employee I was dealing with said it's a big bitch and would cost around 100 dollars if I brought it to a tech, but I don't see what the big deal is if I'm switching the strings and keeping them at the same gauge... ? Can someone help me out with a maybe a few simple steps on how to change my floyd from D standard, to just standard.... Thanks.
Nevermind, miss read your question. It's a skill worth mastering. go watch some youtube tutorials. they help greatly
Last edited by bass94 at Feb 21, 2012,
a hundred ****ing dollars? No way in hell, it should cost like $20
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Haha yeah the guy was a bit out of his mind but he gave me a good deal so I was more than happy to deal with his insanity.

Anyways, my mind wants to tell me that once I take the old strings off, it shouldn't be that difficult since obviously there is no tuning on the guitar at that point and it should just be a matter of tuning up the ol FR, but I know that's false hopes. I couldn't find a decent youtube video on changing tunings, just strings !
$100 is a joke.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
$100 is dumb. I would personally probably charge $50, because it is a long process.

But it's simple to do. All it is is simple physics, counteracting spring and string tension. Just learn how to work on your guitar yourself, you'll save yourself a lot of money you'd otherwise spend on paying someone to do simple tasks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm searching youtube as we speak... however I'm not too sure what to search. EVERYTHING is literally just changing strings on a floyd rose, not changing the tuning from one to another... I wonder if I'm missing a keyword... whats the technical term for changing a floyd roses tuning ? Calibrating ?
You may need to buy new springs. They're fairly cheap.

Basically, when you increase string tension (tune up, or increase string gauge), your bridge is going to tilt up. To counterract this and get it level again, you need to tighten (screw in) the screws in the back of the guitar, to bring the bridge back down.

Screwing the bridge in will throw your guitar out of tune again, so you just have to keep going back and forth until you are in the tuning you want to be in, and your bridge is level.

If you can't get your bridge level, and it's still tilted up when the screws in the back are screwed all the way in, that's how you know you need to add more springs to your trem claw.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cool thanks dude ! So I'm going back and forth from the springs hidden in the back, to the lock down screws which are parallel with the body of the guitar ? What about setup pre-stringing ? Do I need to make them all level ? fine tuners, and lock down screws specifically ?
Set all your fine tuners (the tuners on the bridge itself) to their "middle" positions, and tune with your machine heads. Don't lock down your locking nuts until everything else is perfect.

You don't need to, but it helps to a certain extent to put something under the bridge to "hold it up" while you're changing strings. I use a bottle cap. A lot of people use a piece of wood, or batteries.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ah I gotcha. I think I'm understanding it this far.

One final question and I think I'll have it down based on your answers...

When changing the tuning and not just a string... Am I going to remove ALL 6 strings then get to work, in which case I'd use a bottle cap to hold the bridge in place, set all the tuners to their middle position, leave the machine heads alone (or also set them to their middle positions?) and begin stringing ? (E, E, A, B, D, G) ?

Thanks for all the help and patience man ! I hate being new at this stuff. I've played for 6 years but have never even touched a Floyd before so it's a little frustrating actually having to try and get help for something that would be so simple on a regular bridge haha.
Quote by chiplin
Ah I gotcha. I think I'm understanding it this far.

One final question and I think I'll have it down based on your answers...

When changing the tuning and not just a string... Am I going to remove ALL 6 strings then get to work, in which case I'd use a bottle cap to hold the bridge in place, set all the tuners to their middle position, leave the machine heads alone (or also set them to their middle positions?) and begin stringing ? (E, E, A, B, D, G) ?

Thanks for all the help and patience man ! I hate being new at this stuff. I've played for 6 years but have never even touched a Floyd before so it's a little frustrating actually having to try and get help for something that would be so simple on a regular bridge haha.

dead on. always cross tune trems whether it be floyd, edge, or a strat styled trem even if it is blocked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't think you are supposed to take all the strings off at once or they are a bitch to get back on.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by halfstacked
I don't think you are supposed to take all the strings off at once or they are a bitch to get back on.

depends what you are doing. i typically go through four sets a year in my main guitars (i have four that i use frequently) so 16 sets.

every other time a change i take all of the strings off to do very minor fretwork if required or just to shine them up a bit, prior to that i clean off the fretboard of gunk that gets on there. lightly oil the board every year.

some guitars it is easier to take them all of for a simple job, (not FR) but on a strat it is going to be required you pull the strings off to swap pickups, unless you are really tricky, and i am not. i do all work but dont think it would be such a great idea to do this on a strat. easier for new strings.

on a floyd, block the tremblock and go and go back and foruth. as has been stated.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
He doesn't have to remove the strings to tune up....Just unlock the the screws on the neck, tune up, and tighten the springs in the back...
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.