Page 1 of 2
Don't try to go fast yet. Sweeping is a bitch-ass-nasty hard technique for a lot of people and trying to go fast without having a good grasp of the mechanics of the technique will lead to you forming bad habits.

First off, your hammer-on and pull-off were pretty weak compared to your pick strokes. I personally don't hammer-on to the top note; I use an upstroke for it, then pull off. That helps me keep time and consistent volume on each note.

It also sounds like your muting technique isn't really up to par. Sweeping is, in my mind, an extension of your muting technique more than anything, since the most important part is separating those notes. When you were playing with distortion, you were definitely not muting the notes very well. I heard a lot of slop in there.

Lastly, your timing was very poor. Your ascending notes were very fast, but the descending notes were very slow. When practicing, you want to be able to play those notes so that they are evenly spaced. As you get better, you'll want to be able to play different bits at different speeds, but for now, I think the disparity in speed was accidental rather than intentional.

Sweeping is tough to learn. Slow down and take the time to learn the technique properly instead of jumping the gun and getting into bad habits early on.
which part in particular? is it the tap? because that gives me some trouble sometimes.
The hammer-on is very weak and it isn't sounding properly. Like I said, I normally eschew the hammer-on and use an upstroke for the top note before pulling off to the next. That helps me to keep the triplet feel that 3-string sweeps usually have.
doesn't that lower overall speed potential? and do you think getting rid of the ol baseball bat grip could help that at all?
I can sweep just fine at around 12 notes per second without any difficulty wihtout using a hammer-on there. Legato techniques aren't necessarily faster than other techniques; they're just seem that way because beginners have trouble synchronizing their hands at higher speeds.

I'd definitely use the classical grip rather than the bat grip for sweeping. The bat grip really reduces your range of motion, which is really important when you do fretting hand-intensive techniques like sweeping. It's great for bends and certain kinds of vibrato, but the bat grip definitely loses out to the classical grip in most other situations.
You need to start slower, use a metronome to build up the speed while making sure every note is sounding clearly.

Focus on muting the strings also, especially with the picking hand.

Make sure you are relaxed, it is clear just from your tone that you are playing with great deal of tension.

Just build it up slow and have fun man.
Sweeping isn't everything .
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Needs a shitload of work. You're playing way faster than you're able. You're also only playing the same 3 string sweep from what i heard. You need to play much slayer and play some different patterns and not the same one over and over.
No problem. For a second I wondering when Slayer has ever used any sweeps at all and was very confused and upset with myself.
3 string arpeggios only provide the sweepy feeling in the down motion, the up motion is disrupted by a pulloff and only 2 strings before you downstroke again. Thats why I would also learn an easy 5 string arpeggio for the start.

Maybe this pattern or the major() one. No rolls involved.

----------13(14)1713(14)------------
--------15------------------15----------
-----14-----------------------14--------
---15(16)-----------------------15(16)
-17--------------------------------17---
-------------------------------------------

When practising these, besides using a metronome and slowly increase speed, you can also practise it up to tempo beginning only with the first three notes until its clean and only one finger at a time is on the fretboard, the other strings are muted ect. Then you add the next note and so on. That worked for me as an addition to metronome.
Just really slow it down, and try upstroking the top note instead of hammering on, as mentioned. And definitely try classical position, I personally use a slightly modified version of it for sweep picking that I find comfy, I'd liken it to Yngwie and Luca Turilli's hand position, but wrapping your hand around the guitar will not yield you good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXyzNjnHCk

Give this a watch, I reckon Luca Turilli is the best sweep picker going, I'd say his technique is dead-on and what you style be aiming for. Look at his hand positioning and take influence from that, he definitely knows his shit, so to speak.
and I thought steve vai was a boss
also where is a good place to start out at with the metronome?
Last edited by Viban at Feb 22, 2012,
That Luca Turilli video was loaded with slop and was a really, really poor example of his playing. This one's a much cleaner (read: better) example of his technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBD8xRvK7w
I dunno if he's the best, but he's really good on good days.

That said, don't even worry about getting that kind of speed right now. What you want to focus on is fluently fretting notes, muting properly, and spacing your notes evenly. Speed will come with time; what matters now is properly learning the mechanics of the technique so that you can perform it properly.
Quote by Viban
I feel no pain so I must not be doing it horridly wrong
All guitar techniques must explode your fingers. If you're fingers aren't exploded then you are doing it wrong. And if you have exploded your fingers and can't play with the stubs that are left, welcome to my world.
That should be slow enough. Make sure you're using a metronome when you practice and make sure to space your notes evenly. It didn't sound like you were doing either in your video. Also, be sure to practice on both a clean tone (so that you know you're fretting the notes cleanly) and a distorted tone (so that you know your muting technique is sufficient).
I can't hammer hard enough with my pinky, which i think is where my tension is coming from, because if I really throw it on I can get a sound, but its very damp on clean and almost doesn't sound.
Like several of us have said, don't do a hammer-on there. Use an upstroke on the top note, then pull-off to the next note. Be sure that you're not making separate strokes for each note; you want to use a single stroke ascending, then a single stroke descending.

Also, I think you might be doing hammers incorrectly. It looks like you might be using your wrist to power the hammer rather than using your finger. That's a very imprecise way to play. Make sure you only use your fingers for hammers and pull offs.
I'm pulling my hand away so I can swing my pinky harder actually
That's not good technique. Hammers and pull offs ought to come from your fingers instead of your wrist. It's a more precise and faster mechanic than using your wrist (not to mention it keeps your hand in proper position and carries drastically less risk of carpal tunnel).
its actually because i have thick fingers and a long pinky and its really awkward to fold it with the bottoms of my fingers against the fretboard
I have a video after some practice, is it still fluid or do I need to revise?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HrjtSnwLOo
Last edited by Viban at Feb 22, 2012,
Do it slowly untilled u stop moving your mouth while doing it too. Once I got it down I noticed that was my dead giveaway. More like a tell xD
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
thats more of a nervous twitch because I'm a very shy player. even in front of a camera I do that
The "after practice" video didn't sound too different to me, to be honest - still the same issues as the initial one.
Quote by Viban
but where should i start, 40 is painstakingly slow

Good, that's how you know it's a proper place to start then. If your technique isn't clean, then it's time to set the metronome way back and work from the ground up.

As mentioned before, the trickiness in sweeping comes from the muting and consistency of the notes. If you think about it, your left hand's not doing anything complicated and your right is moving in the most efficient way possible - it's just about getting the proper sound from the technique. So, take it down to a very slow speed, and pay close attention to every single motion that you're making. I'd practice it both on a clean channel and with distortion; the clean channel will help you identify any problems with the consistency of the notes, and the distortion obviously presents the main challenge in terms of muting. Freepower had a video about muting with sweeps that should be helpful for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30-4OeXLiZc

As for the top note, I don't necessarily agree that it has to be an upstroke, but I do have an unnaturally strong left pinky (as stupid as it sounds) - a lot of people seem to like using the upstroke so I'm sure there's merit to the technique, but it may just be an issue of finger strength at this point. Try it both ways and see which one you like better - they'll yield different sounds.
but that is almost ridiculous, thats a note every like 3 seconds. i mean I have the basic fingering couldn't i at least hang around 60-70? and I'm working on the muting, but other than that am entirely unsure of what sloppy is at that point, I mean I'm fretting all of the notes and am making as economic of an action as possible from what I can tell so maybe you could clear up the other half of the sloppy equation for me?
If I sound pouty I"m not trying to, these are actual concerns and questions of mine, thanks in advance
Last edited by Viban at Feb 23, 2012,
The other half is the timing. You need to be able to play those notes evenly, which you were definitely not doing in the videos you posted. I'll try to make a brief video lesson this weekend on sweeping.
thanks in advance, I really need to work on my patience issue, I"ll try again from rock bottom and advance every time I've got it mastered at that speed, starting at 50, and I practice copiously, its almost all I do all day from when I get home to when I go to bed so like 3-11 sometimes like 4-7 depends on my mood so time of day isn't a problem for me. but should I try to integrate this into my daily practice regiment or just do this all day?
Quote by Viban
but that is almost ridiculous, thats a note every like 3 seconds. i mean I have the basic fingering couldn't i at least hang around 60-70? and I'm working on the muting, but other than that am entirely unsure of what sloppy is at that point, I mean I'm fretting all of the notes and am making as economic of an action as possible from what I can tell so maybe you could clear up the other half of the sloppy equation for me?
If I sound pouty I"m not trying to, these are actual concerns and questions of mine, thanks in advance

Start at about 60 and move up from there. Make sure you aren't individually picking each note. You should basically be moving your picking hand as though you're arpeggiating a chord, since that's exactly what you're doing. This is the kind of place a teacher is really helpful - so if you can, find someone who can help you out with this kind of stuff.

I still have trouble getting my sweeps to recording level cleanliness, and I've known how to sweep for probably close to three years. It comes with practice. Don't feel the need to get it down in a week, it doesn't come that fast. It took me close to a year to get them smooth across 5 or 6 strings - slowly!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Viban
but that is almost ridiculous, thats a note every like 3 seconds. i mean I have the basic fingering couldn't i at least hang around 60-70?

I didn't really look into the exact timing, but if it's that ridiculous you can increase it a bit. Be sure, though, to keep it at a tempo where you can consciously monitor every motion that you're making.

Quote by Viban
and I'm working on the muting, but other than that am entirely unsure of what sloppy is at that point, I mean I'm fretting all of the notes and am making as economic of an action as possible from what I can tell so maybe you could clear up the other half of the sloppy equation for me?

Like Geldin said it's the timing. It's hard to describe, but basically the motion should be completely consistent and the notes the same value, which will give you the fluid sound that the technique is known for. From what I hear in your videos, it sounds to me as though your picking hand is "falling" through the sweep sometimes - as in it's just kind of going without a distinct rhythm to it. It's a bit odd to try and put into words, but once you roll back the tempo and even out the note duration, it'll help to keep everything from sounding as though it's blending together.
Last edited by :-D at Feb 23, 2012,
Try this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWs7XGb_u0

Remember start slowly.
Use both your righthand and lefthand to mute.
Keep everything as clean as possible..
Keep everything very consistent and play EVERY note loud...
Play it without distortion, then change into playing with distortion again to check for string noise.
When you got the technique down you can start adding in a metronome and following the beats.

Edit:
You don't need to worry about thoose BIG sweeps from the Freepower video atm.. thats just rediculos as you're learning the technique... And starting out too hard will just make you not wanting to play and then you will end up throwing your guitar through a wall.

Just stumpled upon this sweep picking lesson! You might wanna look into that =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phMUH6gkAMw&feature=related
Last edited by ZoaL at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by Viban
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rakcDKo7o
here is a video of me doing it at a very slow speed. is it looking good enough to keep practicing it?

Might need to go slower, and you need to think about other things than just the sweep motion. In that video are not muting properly, that is a must for sweeping. Only one note at the time should sound.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
You're off time with the metronome.

Also, the goal of this is not to really pick each note, but more glide across the strings with the pick. You're not trying to do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXvfBL4WkU (that intro is basically an alternate picked Esus2 arpeggio), but more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYXi5earDY&feature=related
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 23, 2012,
I'll look into that, but for now, was the muting at least good enough?
and your muting is off. I think you are trying to sweep too fast. I did this "sweep picking challenge" a couple years ago with this guy on youtube. I spent months perfecting this technique, working on it for about an hour a day for 2-3 months. I got it down pat, but I honestly feel like it was the biggest waste of time in my life. I like being able to play arpeggios fast, sure, but I hate the way it sounds in most songs. Honestly, the only band I have heard use sweeps and make them sound good is dethklok. And they aren't even real.
Page 1 of 2