Hello, I am pretty new to guitar playing but practice a couple hours everyday since I bought my new guitar 6 weeks ago. My question is I am getting a bad pick noise. It is not a clicking but it is a real bad noise as if someone is blowing a short breath into a microphone through the amp everytime I strum mainly the solid strings. It is driving me nuts, I almost can't play it annoys me that bad. My guitar is a Epiphone 1960's tribute Les Paul with Ernie Ball regular Slinky's .10 gauge. I am using a Medium Fender pick. The Amp is a Vox 20+ modeling and I am using the preset modes on the amp. The switch is on Rhythm if I turn the neck volume almost off I reduce this noise a lot. The problem is I do not get a good true sound. Even if I pick real slow with the very tip of the pick it still does it. Am I doing something wrong with my setup? Please help Thank you
Last edited by oachs83 at Feb 22, 2012,
Are you holding your pick horizontal, or are you holding it at a diagonal?

If you're holding it at a diagonal that could very well be why.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
I was holding a little diagonal but have been focusing on horizontal. I will try pretty slow and watch and strum dead on horizontal and still get the noise.
Like the humbucker needs to be lowered or ? I did buy the guitar recently and bought a lifetime free maintenence agreement as well.
I sometimes get a similar sound on my Epi LP100, but not as badly as you've described. It happens when I hit my palm against the strings too close to the pickups. I'm thinking of lowering my pickups a little...Yours could be a similar problem? If you got a maintenance agreement, I'd make use of that...
Okay I made a quick video on my phone. Please don't comment on my playing ability I never recorded myself or played for anyone before and was nervous. I started with it on the neck pickup and then switched to the bridge pickup. You can see the sound pretty much goes away on the bridge pickup. Is this the case of a bad humbucker or am I that bad? If it matters the guitar also has split coils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q06CoqRfx-4

Last edited by oachs83 at Feb 22, 2012,
I think lowering your pickup will help.

Otherwise everything else sounds normal
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror
We all have that. However, to me it seems that the more gain you use, the more you'll hear the pick attack the strings. Your tone sounds fine though, don't worry about it.
Yeah
Okay I just wasn't sure as I am still new. I have the bridge and neck pickup the same height from the strings as each other. Should they be the same or one lower than the other? Thanks
Quote by oachs83
Okay I just wasn't sure as I am still new. I have the bridge and neck pickup the same height from the strings as each other. Should they be the same or one lower than the other? Thanks

Doesn't matter, set the height depending on how you like them
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Orange Micro Terror