Yeah, I'm just gonna ask a really simple question, hope you guys don't mind. Now, apparently, a string should be bent upward, but I've always bent it downward. Is this something I should correct as soon as possible?
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

It really doesn't make a difference.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks, that is just so good to hear, the thought of having to relearn something all over again just didn't click with me.
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall
Yeah, I'm just gonna ask a really simple question, hope you guys don't mind. Now, apparently, a string should be bent upward, but I've always bent it downward. Is this something I should correct as soon as possible?

How do you go bending your top/first string?
I bend upwards because I regularly bend the high e and never bend the low e but it really doesn't matter.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
It's not a big deal either way, but you will have to bend upwards on the B and E strings.
Bass(thick) strings downword
Treble(Thin) strings upward.

A lot of good guitarists pull down to bend and do wide vibrato which is just bending up and down however if it's a large bend it may go over the side of your fretboard or if it's on the low e.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
@zero

I actually don't bend the first string at all, I'm still trying to get the hang of bending upwards.

@Nameless742, AgainstYou, Attercop

Thanks for the info.
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Bend upwards.

Gives you the option od unison bends and other such licks. Easier to control vinrato on an up-bend.
I think you should ask answer the following question to yourself in order to decide (probably an obvious question, but still);
What would upward bending give me that downward bending does not?

The upward bend advantages I can come up with right now on the spot is:
1.The ability to bend the high e stringand the ability to bend the B string further than you'd be able to with just downward bending.
2.Easier to do a pull-of right after an upward bend than after a downward one. (might be a very small advantage for you, depends how often you do it.)

And people who posted above me seem to have some more for you.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Quote by shadowz_fall
@zero

I actually don't bend the first string at all, I'm still trying to get the hang of bending upwards.

Dont stress to much about it, when your ready just start small and slowly work it up. Perhaps watch some youtube tutorials and be mindful of where the string is sitting on your fingertip, some beginners tend to let the string get too close to their fingernail...

I find upwards bending gives me far more control over the bend and also prevents the string slipping out from under your finger and snapping up like it can on a downwards bend
Quote by shadowz_fall

What happens when you try to to a full step bend on the top E?

The easiest way to approach it is to bend towards the centre of the fretboard, that way you'll always have enough room to bend.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com