I'm looking for some bands that use elements of classical music in a heavy rock/metal context. Looking for something similar to Maudlin of the Well or Kayo Dot
BTBM and AAL aren't similar to Maudlin of the Well or Kayo Dot although those are two excellent bands. Same goes with GYBE although I can't get into their music too much.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
animals as leaders between the buried and me

do you just recommend them for everything?

OT: i guess just check out post rock as a whole, whatevs.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Bach ist kvlt

can't get anymore metal than this guy \m/

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by StewieSwan

Vivaldi

Psh, might as well say Justin Bieber.

Fag.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by moscaespañol
do nightwish count?

everybody should listen to nightwish

No. There's really nothing classical about Nightwish other than the old singer's vocal style. Calling Nightwish classical is about like throwing some gain on a Taylow Swift song and calling it metal.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
No. There's really nothing classical about Nightwish other than the old singer's vocal style. Calling Nightwish classical is about like throwing some gain on a Taylow Swift song and calling it metal.

okay.jpg

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Jon777
The Human Abstract, maybe?

while a.j. minette is a competent guitarist and has a degree in classical guitar, i'd say no
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
oh does anyone like sleepytime gorilla museum

They vary wildly between refreshingly original and excruciatingly pretentious imo. Stuff like The Companions, Sleep is Wrong or Puppet Show are pretty awesome.

@TS, maybe Agalloch, Summoning, Melancolia, Ne Obliviscaris? Focusing more on the second sentence than the first.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by Jon777
The Human Abstract, maybe?

I was gonna say this. Definitely check out their album Digital Veil.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by moscaespañol
do you just recommend them for everything?

OT: i guess just check out post rock as a whole, whatevs.

you know me very well
Too lazy to search any of these bands to see what they sound like, but Dream Theater?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Bach ist kvlt

can't get anymore metal than this guy \m/

Listen to some Stravinsky, Scriabin, or Prokofiev. Far more metal composers (not that Bach isn't amazing).
On the topic of construction delaying the Large Hadron Collider:

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Construction my ass. They just haven't found a good enough crowbar for Gordon Freeman when everything goes tits up.
Obviously, Muse. Check out songs like Micro Cuts, Butterflies and Hurricanes
Quote by mcjosh
I was gonna say this. Definitely check out their album Digital Veil.

I guess when I said Kayo dot or Maudlin of the Well, I meant bands that aren't shred oriented. Human Abstract is a good band but just because their guitar player has a degree in classical guitar(or composition or whatever) doesn't make them the same as Maudlin of the Well -_-

I think only two or three people have actually recommended bands that pertain to what I asked. I thought the sleepytime gorilla museum thing was a joke but their music is very...interesting...