Regarding the frequency im tuning to, what would drive me to tune to a HZ level of 350, or 499, as compared to 440? ive heard of "brightness" and "more organic" resonings but yet to have found a explination to the whole escapade.

furthermore, why is 440 the standard hz?
Because nazis.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
some old dudes got together and decided that everyone would tune to 440.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
440hz is the standard pitch because some instruments are fixed to a specific pitch with only very small adjustments being able to be made on the spot, or just generally difficult and very time consuming to tune, and that's why there's a need for a standard concert pitch.

however you can just tune however you want if you're playing with other instruments that can easily be tuned to match that pitch, so i don't really see how there's even a need to ask whether you should tune to any particular pitch and why you would do it - the answer is "try it and see". bare in mind it's always useful to keep one guitar at 440hz.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by AcousticMirror
some old dudes got together and decided that everyone would tune to 440.

was it because they were elderly, questing for thy path in life, so then forth created a static-like concept to adorn, enshrouded in chaos, as a dying tribute to the omnicient Od?
Last edited by theshroomman at Feb 22, 2012,
440hz is the modern standard frequency of the A above middle C on a piano and is used as a standard for the tuning of most instruments. Prior to the 20th century there wasn't nearly as much consensus for what the "proper" standard tuning should be. During the baroque period the tuning of A above middle C could differ greatly even in a single city, so one orchestra was almost never tuned by the same standard as the next.
Quote by theshroomman
was it because they were elderly, questing for thy path in life, so then forth created a static-like concept to adorn, enshrouded in chaos, as a dying tribute to the omnicient Od?

they might not have been old at the time... at least not by todays standards.

this really is a non-issue. 440hz is concert pitch. you don't have to tune to concert pitch if you don't want to, but most people do, and you'll be out of tune with them if you don't.

why is 440hz concert pitch? does there even have to be a reason?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp