This problem doesn't bother me much until i start practicing sweep picking, specifically as i sweep down (moving toward the thinner strings)
I know there are techniques to mute the unwanted noise, palm muting in the case of sweeping down i suppose.

But I am wondering is such noise avoidable? it is always better to prevent the noise than try to kill it.
I mean even if i don't press the string down, I just lay my finger on the string and as I remove it, the string vibrates a bit and noise comes out. (with high gain and bridge pick up especially). Unless if i remove my finger very gently in ultra slow-mo, which is not possible in actual playing.

So, is such noise inevitable or my fingers are not doing it properly?
I'm not exactly sure what noise you mean. You want to remove your finger off a string without doing a pull off?
You just need to work on your muting. Go really, really slow and practice muting the string before you remove your finger. And using the neck pickup will help smooth out the sound.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Try of the following techniques (both at the same time, or at least one of them):
1.Picking Hand Technique:
Simply resting (not pressing) your picking palm on all the strings below (by pitch height) the string you're currently playing. This way, they will always be muted.
More importantly, make sure the picking thumb is muting the string below the string you're currently playing. That's mostly important in sweep picking, as the string you'd be leaving with you finger and that would start to vibrate is the string the thumb will be muting!
This is a pretty natural thing to me, personally.

2.Fretting Hand Technique:
You probably already know you should play with your index finger flat on all the strings above the one you're playing. But what you should also learn is to play like FreePower in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=2&feature=PlayList&v=kIEnzboW0Hc&list=PLFA239CA8EF73CEC9 specifically the way his index finger not only mutes the higher strings, but also the string below the one you're currently playing
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Quote by Jyrgen
I'm not exactly sure what noise you mean. You want to remove your finger off a string without doing a pull off?

Yes. That is what i mean.

Thanks to Junior#1 and Avielp.
I was wondering if i am doing something incorrectly to produce that noise, instead of the techniques used to mute it. But seems like that noise is inevitable?
Quote by Caturra

I was wondering if i am doing something incorrectly to produce that noise, instead of the techniques used to mute it. But seems like that noise is inevitable?

Yep. Without muting, that will happen.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Are these arpeggios in a low or high position on the guitar? The strings will have a tendency to ring more if fretted in a low position, so you have to do more to mute the ringing. Basically, you're generating more harmonics when playing a lower note, so there are more vibrations along a longer string.

Muting still has to be done when playing an arpeggio in a higher position, but this is much easier to achieve.
Quote by Caturra

Even though I've never seen this issue adressed by anyone on the internet-be it an article or a video (and I've been surfing the internet for guitar stuff for quite some time now) I can't think of any way to avoid it, other than mute it along with the other random string noises (the fact it's not an issue that stands out in videos and articles may also suggest that the need to use the generic muting technique is taken for granted). So yeah, I think it's inevitable.
Quote by MatthiasYoung
Basically, you're generating more harmonics when playing a lower note.

So that's why the lower frets alwas have such a nicer sound (especially noticable with clean tone)?
Thanks to all of you. That was such a good and explanatory answer lol
a) Get a 0-fret (that's zero-fret) neck guitar, or,

b) when doing hammer/pulloffs with the left hand, fret the string with your right hand, or,

c) detune the guitar half a step and set up a capo at the first fret

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.