Hi all,

So last week I self installed a Stetsbar tremolo on my Epiphone LP. Now I'm having tuning problems on some strings. The lower strings especially have been getting higher in pitch as i use the tremolo bar (well, mostly the lower strings, the higher strings also go a little out of tune).

Can anyone offer me some help with this issue? I would have thought that using the tremolo to lower the pitch (e.g. divebombs etc) would in fact make the string flatter?

I have lubed up the nut with graphite and i have locking tuners in the mail but can anyone explain what could actually be going on here?

Thanks heaps!
You are on the right track with the nut I think. Too much friction up there. Had the same problem with my Musicman with Graphtech nut, just some graphite of a pencil solved the problem for me. Maybe you will have to change your nut if new strings and lubrication don´t help.
Thanks facecut i'll give it a go. Can anyone explain the mechanics of how it is possible for the string to get higher in pitch when i'm basically just doing divebombs? How can there be more tension in the string after this?
Quote by djjiles
Thanks facecut i'll give it a go. Can anyone explain the mechanics of how it is possible for the string to get higher in pitch when i'm basically just doing divebombs? How can there be more tension in the string after this?

It's happening at the nut... When you Dive Bomb, the string moves at the nut, closer to the tuning pegs.. when you let up the string doesn't move back, especially the lower, wound strings that are catching... so.. the string moves closer to the tuning pegs, but doesn't move all the way back.. therefore, the tension between the nut and the bridge goes up...

put a little graphite from a pencil lead in the bridge saddles and nut slots.. might not cure the problem totally, but it will help...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!