Hey guys

Just recently bought a fender HRD 3 and absolutely love it. Its the first tube amp i have owned and have had used really, and was wondering some basics especially turning it on. On the panel it has two switches, one that can be flicked to "on" and "standby" and the other "on" and "off". while the on and off is fairly self explanatory, how do you correctly use the standby function? for example, when turning it on what should i have the buttons set to and in what order to get the best life out of the amp and tubes? cheers
Power switch first, wait 30-60 seconds, then hit the standby switch.

When you turn it off, just go in reverse.
So turn the "on" and "off" switch to "on" first, then flick the "standby" and "on" switch to "on"?
Quote by Rickjames09
So turn the "on" and "off" switch to "on" first, then flick the "standby" and "on" switch to "on"?
Yes.
Usually you want 30-60 seconds at least between the first and second switch. I normally turn the main power on, then check tuning, grab a drink, etc while I let the tubes warm up a bit. Then flip the other switch from STBY to "ON" or "PLAY" or however it's labeled on your amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
ok cool beans. then if im just chilling for a while, flick it to standbye while the main power is on? how long do you usually let them warm up for?
Yep, pretty much. I normally warm them up for a minute or two. I've heard of people doing 5 or more, but the heaters don't get them THAT hot, so I doubt you're really getting any added benefit after a couple minutes.

I normally turn it back to STBY right before shutting it off, but it's more to ensure the switch is in STBY next time I power it on than having any real purpose on shut down. If anything, it prevents the loud popping that can sometimes happen when you turn an amp off if you go to STBY for a couple seconds.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
They have said 30 to 60 seconds at least twice that i saw.

Standby switch to STANDBY
Power to ON
Wait about 30 seconds (this warms tubes to playing point)
Standby to PLAY OR ON

Enjoy. reverse process to turn off.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by ACollier
You don't have to put it in standby, or wait to turn it off. You can just turn it off.

But if you put it in standby before turning it off you don't have to worry about switching it to standby when you turn it on the next time.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Going along with these questions, is it a good idea to put it on standby while your not playing? IE: you are not using your amp for a few minutes or more.
Only if its a couple minutes, otherwise you're just burning the tubes for no reason.

Honestly though, standby switches are only necessary on very powerful amps that are using lots of voltage. Anything 100 watts or less doesn't need a standby switch.

The amps with standby's I've owned I just left the amp and standby on and just turned all my stuff on and off from the surge protector I had everything plugged in to.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You don't really need the standby switch. I leave mine on all the time, and the amp I'm building doesn't have one.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.