hi,

I have just bought a head and cab but not sure which ohms to choose.

The head is a bugera 6262 infinium and the cab is a Marshall 1960a jcm 2000

both of these have 4,8,16 ohms

which ohms do i chose

thanks
any you like, just make sure the impedance you use is the same on both.

You CAN mismatch impedance one way, and still be safe. The amp should always have the lower number in a mismatch scenario, so 4 ohms going into 8 ohms at the cab is OK. The other way around will fry your amp. Best bet is to always match impedance when possible.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Really doesn't matter on a tube amp. With a SS power amp you'll get a bit more wattage at 4 ohms, but with tube powah it really doesn't matter.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'm not sure about it. My amp (Mesa/Boogie) instruction booklet says they recommend using 8ohm so I get the best tone possible. That's what they say.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
cheers guys. oh and btw, to turn it on do i flick the standby switch, leave it for 30 seconds or so then flick the power switch on and leave the standby switch on
Quote by metal head 1
cheers guys. oh and btw, to turn it on do i flick the standby switch, leave it for 30 seconds or so then flick the power switch on and leave the standby switch on

Other way around. With both switches "down" ('on' and 'off' are sometimes confusing; standby off means the amp is on) turn the power switch up, wait 30 seconds, turn standby switch to up.
ok man, so they both need to be on while playing. Power switch on first, 30 seconds later standby switch on
Yes. You'll figure it out right away, it only makes lights and noise on one setting.
Quote by metal head 1
^^^?????

The op asked "ok man cheers, what is the best ohm to use? best sounding, not sure of the diffrence" in answer to...

"You CAN mismatch impedance one way, and still be safe. The amp should always have the lower number in a mismatch scenario, so 4 ohms going into 8 ohms at the cab is OK. The other way around will fry your amp. Best bet is to always match impedance when possible."

He has the option of 4,8,16 ohms. If he has to mismatch, keep them close
Last edited by 667 at Feb 22, 2012,