Well, I have kind of had my hand forced here. I love my amp, but recent financial obligations are forcing me to downsize and use some money in other areas. I plan on selling the amp head and buying an all tube combo. I will then sell the powerbrake and cab for more money. However, my question is this..."What combo tube amp is one that covers all genres well without being a one trick pony?" I love the sound of the marshall and I feel that it covers all areas well. However I have seen some videos and read some reviews on the egnater tweaker and jet city combo amps. Those seem fairly decent and I have a pretty nice array of pedals that would compliment them well. Any suggestions would be great, I am looking to stay around 500 or below. Thank you in advance.
music styles= blues, classic rock, metal (metallica to between the buried and me, and anything in between)
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Feb 22, 2012,
The 15W Egnater Tweaker combo is $600, but I think it sounds nice from the videos I've listened to of it. Only has one channel though, so that's something you need to think about.

I think the Blackstar HT-20 combo would be a pretty versatile amp for the styles you play, but it is a hybrid amp. I personally think it sounds as good as a lot of all tube amps in its price range, but that's your call. It's also $600, but it has a separate clean and overdrive channel.
it's gonna be tough to cover all those bases with one amp for $500. most that have good cleans don't have a dirt channel that will get you a modern metal sound. same can be said the other way around. do you want seperate clean and drive channels ? a Peavey Valveking will get you a good clean channel and dirt for classic rock / blues and metal from the 70s and early 80s ( metallica will need an overdrive pedal ) modern metal tones it really doesn't do well if it all.
I actually did not know that the HT series was a hybrid, oops!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Trade your Marshall with the guy with the Engl Screamer combo he wants to get rid of for a Marshall stack.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Don't be a pussy. Keep the stack.

I'm kidding. In all seriousness, the Tweaker is a pretty cool budget amp.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I actually did not know that the HT series was a hybrid, oops!

They're advertised by Blackstar as all tube, but people who have opened them up and looked at them think they're more of a hybrid amp. I think they use diode clipping to get the distortion sounds. But as I said, I love their sound, but they're not for everybody.
Maybe you can find a used Carvin V3m if you can stretch your budget a tad. They're supposed to be really versatile and Carvin is a good company (I love my X60)
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
You could always look for a little JCM2000 DSL401. It will do all you want in a much smaller package. They sound a bit different to your current DSL but it's still in the same ballpark. If anything they better at blues because you can crank them to get that nice EL84 breakup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sell everything and get a Vypyr Tube + Sanpera. Now you have good sounding amp that is way more versatile than what you had.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
He says he wants to play blues. He probably wants more dynamics than a Vyper could provide. No way I'd choose a Vyper over a DSL401 for what he wants to use it for. Vypers are good for beginners because they mask inaccuracies with the picking hand but for an experienced bluesman you want those pesky dynamics.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification