View poll results: Which one?
Acoustic 5 string
1 3%
Electric 5-string
12 39%
Electric 4-string
18 58%
Voters: 31.
I've considered buying a fretless bass guitar and learn how to play it. I've been playing "regular"/fretted bass since December 2009.
Now, I don't want to spend too much on one in case I wouldn't like it so I've picked a Harley Benton bass, because it's cheap. I don't know any music stores around my area where I could try one out beforehand.

This is the bass I've purchased, I'm now just waiting for it to arrive.
4-string electric bass
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=sv&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hPlET8m3Icep4gSS7umXAw&biw=1540&bih=842&sei=hvlET8raBIfk4QT3jrmbAw#um=1&hl=sv&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:sv-SE%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=HARLEY+BENTON+HBB400FLTBK&oq=HARLEY+BENTON+HBB400FLTBK&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=8891l8891l0l10056l1l1l0l0l0l0l135l135l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=73ebc14a0a4cae&biw=1540&bih=842">Google Images search
- Electric, 4-string
- 1x JB pickup, 1x PB pickup, chrome hardware, active electronics, die-cast machine heads
- 136 €

Also, if anybody have some pointers regarding fretless basses, or just something that I should know, please share.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Mar 4, 2012,
how is your ear?
Do you have a teacher helping you tackle the new instrument?
Quote by NicolasD
how is your ear?
Do you have a teacher helping you tackle the new instrument?

My ear is probably pretty okay, I thought I'd practice it with the fretless bass, because well, I'd have to.

And no teacher.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Fretless is a totally different feel than a fretted bass, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. You shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Fretless is a totally different feel than a fretted bass, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. You shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I've done some research on fretless basses. I've heard that you shouldn't place your fretting finger on the space where you would on a fretted bass, but where the actual metal fret strip would be. Is that true?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Yup. Because your finger becomes the fret.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you have a good ear for intonation, it's really not much of a transition. You'll be playing pretty smoothly in the lower half of the fingerboard within a few weeks and can work on the rest from there. It is, of course, different, but I think it's an easy switch after those initial few weeks.

On the other hand, if you've only been playing music a few years and don't have much of an ear for intonation, you might think you're making the transition nicely but actually just making a mess.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
On the other hand, if you've only been playing music a few years and don't have much of an ear for intonation, you might think you're making the transition nicely but actually just making a mess.

I don't think that there won't be some problems getting used to a fretless bass, I never said that. I'd say I know the fretboard fairly well, but I still don't think a fretless bass won't be a challenge.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
What kind of music is suitable to play on fretless basses?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
What kind of music is suitable to play on fretless basses?

You can get away with anything on a fretless if you're creative about it. I think they're most commonly used with jazz and progressive rock, but they show up country, rock, metal and everywhere else often enough anyway.

Why don't you come up with some genres of interest and we can all brainstorm players in that genre that use a fretless?
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 24, 2012,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Why don't you come up with some genres of interest and we can all brainstorm players in that genre that use a fretless?

Rock and metal, and I can listen to blues but I'm not that great at playing it.
Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate etc are bands I like.

My playing style has been influenced mostly by Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geezer Butler.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
even if his ear isnt so good, wouldnt he still be okay with a lined fretless?
^ somewhat, but intonation still is a bit tricky.

If you're willing to go out of genre a bit, Mick Karn is a fretless bass god, esp. his stuff with Japan. And let us not forget Les Claypool plays a good deal of Primus and such on a fretless.

I love my fretless and use it quite a bit now. However, I will freely admit to all and sundry, that the intonation became a hell of alot easier after two years of upright.
Playing fretless is a bit like singing in that you have to adjust your pitch according to what's coming out of the monitor. It's not totally different like people say, it's just one extra step you've got to get used to.

I like to play my fretless in CGDA, it's pretty fun
Quote by housemd
even if his ear isnt so good, wouldnt he still be okay with a lined fretless?

The one I ordered online isn't lined, but it still has some white markings on it. Not on the fretboard itself, but above it.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
So, today my bass arrived.

What should I learn now?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
^Ben's right. Work on this at first and then worry about songs.

After that, just play what you know at first. Honestly, I play alot of classic rock on mine and the other people in the band love the tone. Its my go to electric bass unless I'm playing surf or early 60s rock.
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
The one I ordered online isn't lined, but it still has some white markings on it. Not on the fretboard itself, but above it.

What should I learn now?

Determine whether your side markings are in the correct locations. If they seem to be a quarter tone flat, you might want to put some other markings on the side to help you at first (white out, peel off dots type stuff).
It's nice to get a clean FB at an entry level price though.
Good luck.