Hey guys, I have 5 years until i can join the Navy so basically i have 5 years to burn. Last summer i went to work in a club in Greece and would like to travel and work abroad like that again. I have heard about wwoofing and workaway.com but does anyone else have any other ideas that i could do in these 5 years? Also share any travelling experiences you may have or advice
Last edited by bad news bear at Feb 22, 2012,
You have been what?
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
wwoofing is when you work away on a organic farm for food and board. Its a pretty good deal.
Quote by bad news bear
Hey guys, I have 5 years until i can join the Navy so basically i have 5 years to burn. Last summer i went to work in a club in Greece and would like to travel and work abroad like that again. I have heard about wwoofing and workaway.com but does anyone else have any other ideas that i could do in these 5 years? Also share any travelling experiences you may have or advice

Good luck finding a job in Greece again.

I haven't tried wwfoofing but I've heard good things about it. Worth looking into. 5 years is a pretty long time. How old are you now?

Quote by WantsLesPaul

Seconded
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Im 17 at the moment joining when im 23 hopefully. I just want to go out and do some travelling and experience different cultures and get some life experience. The jobs in Greece werent that bad tbh when i was there but it was on a clubbing island so lots of bar jobs.
Yeah ive been thinking about working on a cruise ship too maybe as bar staff or as a labourer (if they need them lol) i dont know what jobs are usually available on cruise ships tbh
Quote by bad news bear
Yeah ive been thinking about working on a cruise ship too maybe as bar staff or as a labourer (if they need them lol) i dont know what jobs are usually available on cruise ships tbh

You'll need a license to work the bar, so you should get started on that now.
Just go mate .. that's how I started and havn't turned back .. just go to different countries and sort it all out when you get there, don't plan anything 'cos it never works.
Countries like NZ, Australia and a few more give you a visa like pretty much immediately, especially being from UK .. look up Working Holiday Visas (You have to be 18 though) .. it lasts a year (or you have an option for 2 years in some countries, I recommend getting that one, at the end of the day you don't have to use the extra year, but from experience a shit ton of people wished they got the 2 year visa straight away, as trying to extend your year while your in the country is a bit of a ball ache) you got something like 5 years to use them, you activate your visa by just arriving in the country.
I got a Working Holiday Visa for NZ, I applied for it and got a reply with my visa like 30 minutes later .. then I just went .. and i'm still going .. just picking countries randomly and going, sorting it all out when I get there .. you'll be surprised how easy it is to do it .. at first it's a bit daunting and shit, but seriously just book a plane.
For a Working Holiday they say you need enough money in your bank to support yourself for 3 months when you get there (and apparently they ask you to prove it to them at the airport) .. but when I used my Australian one I only arrived with 50 dollars .. all they asked me was where I was staying that night .. I didn't know so I just said some hostel in town, they just smiled and let me through.
Seriously man .. just **** off and keep ****ing off for 5 years, it's addictive shit and you'll meet the best kinda people you can imagine and some of the hottest girls as well.

GO.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Last edited by Blimpy19 at Feb 22, 2012,
Great advice cheers Blimpy What did you work as in australia. I have been leaning toward fruit picking. I should have enough money by january 2013 and i will be 18 by then too
Quote by bad news bear
The jobs in Greece weren't that bad

Key word there is were. Now that Greece's economy is in the shit-filled sewers, your chances of getting a job there just went down exponentially.
well looks like i wont be going back to Greece then :P i want to go to Italy, Asia, Australia, and maybe parts of south America.
Quote by bad news bear
well looks like i wont be going back to Greece then :P i want to go to Italy, Asia, Australia, and maybe parts of south America.
You could try doing a work-exchange program. Like you go over there and basically have an internship, where they provide your either rent money or an apartment and you work 9-5. They pay you, you get to see some exotic places, and you can say, "I've been to (insert foreign country here)." What's not to like?
Basically the only advice I can probably offer is seriously don't plan stuff like jobs or work programs before you get there .. I've found it so easy to find jobs where-ever I've gone to.
I did a load of different types of work in Australia, you just run into jobs, you go to the pub, chat to somebody there, they give you someones number who's looking for a painter or whatever, and you get it straight away, it happens so often.

The main one was probably working in the mines .. I have no qualifications at all and I landed a job earning thousands of dollars a week, I could of so easily got sponsored by that company and made a career and been filthy ****ing rich by now, but I didn't wanna fall into the trap that is mortgage, wife, kids etc.

If at any point you're looking for somewhere to just stop and have the opportunity to save up some cash, i'd say Australia's the best bet, going from there with an account full of dollars, over to Asia .. you will live like an absolute king for a while as it's so cheap there.
Definitely don't apply for fruit picking before you get there, you can walk into fruit picking jobs in so many places so easily, they want as many backpackers as they can get doing hard work all day in the heat .. find out how the companies pay you, some pay you by the bucket you pick and some is a flat hourly rate, if you do it by the bucket, you will earn **** all for a while before you learn how to do everything quickly.

'Cos you're from the UK as well you can go anywhere in the EU without a visa and work as long as you want .. that's what i'm taking advantage of now, going around Europe, little jobs here and there and learning languages.

If you travel a lot, you develop a lot of contacts with people all over the world who are probably still travelling themselves .. this is amazing because you can just bell your mate on facebook who happens to be from Germany or where ever, you get an instant place to stay whenever you're there and check things out.

It will turn you into a bit of a social beast as well, 'cos you're kinda forced to throw yourself out there and speak to people, otherwise you'll have a real lonely time, this is so easy because everyone's in the same boat and from what I've seen, 90% of backpackers are cool as ****, obviously you get the odd dick. I've seen people transform from a socially awkward introvert who doesn't even speak, into the most confident people in 6 months, happy with their life, chatting away left and right and genuinely just enjoying themselves.

I'm 25 and I can tell you i'm going to do this for a very long time .. I just wish I did it earlier .. it wouldn't even surprise me if you don't even join the Navy if you do travel for a couple years .. going from complete freedom, you can go anywhere you want, anytime .. to the exact opposite .. I can't imagine anything worse to be honest.

To sum this really ****ing long post up .. just ****ing go man, minimal planning.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Last edited by Blimpy19 at Feb 22, 2012,
Smoke weed
Chill
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.