say I'm playing the 7th fret on the G swing, and i now want to play the 7 fret on the D string. How would i go about switching it? Right now i jump over to it quickly, and when using my first finger, i make sure that it has the string below it lightly touched to mute it.
Is this a good way? is there a more efficient way to do this?
That's a way, but if it is possible you should use a finger roll. So when you play the 7th on G try to get it into a position that makes rolling your finger on the 7th on D easy.

If you don't know how to do a finger roll, look up some lessons here on UG. Theres bound to be one on them or at least one that goes over them.
Barre fret.

Play string.

After note rings for desired timeframe, lightly lift barre to stop excessive string noise.

Barre fret again.

Play new note on different string.

There are many other ways to accomplish what you are asking. Comes down to preference and the song being playd as one way may be better depending to the notes to come.
There are several ways to move cross-string, but what you're playing before and afterwards needs to be considered in order to determine the most efficient fingering. Also, will these notes ring together or do they need to be separated? Things to consider.
Quote by macashmack
say I'm playing the 7th fret on the G swing, and i now want to play the 7 fret on the D string. How would i go about switching it? Right now i jump over to it quickly, and when using my first finger, i make sure that it has the string below it lightly touched to mute it.
Is this a good way? is there a more efficient way to do this?

Matthias is right, you really need to consider what you're doing around that tiny idea before you can come to any real conclusions; I've seen people roll, I've seen people jump frets, I've seen people use a different finger for the same fret, it all depends what else is going on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.