What do you think the better purchase would be? looking at getting either a schecter hellraiser solo 6 or a gibson Les paul stuido. I have played both and like both. I know schecters lose their value quick and les paul holds up good in value but construction and sound wise what is the better guitar?
I wouldn't worry too much about resale value, Schecter's won't devalue all that much quicker at all. Play both as much as you can, really try to get a feel for which is better. I would imagine the build quality and factory setup would be better on the Gibby, but I could be totally wrong
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
It really depends on the guitar in question, which one has better fretwork? Which one has the better sounding woods? The better hardware?

I would say the Gibson would be the better of the two, but its hard to tell without playing them.

I would pay more attention on how it feels and plays rather than what the pickups sound like or whatever - you can change the electronics and hardware, but you can't change crappy quality control.

Get the one that you like best.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I wasn't to concerned about pickups it is the quality of construction and wood tone I am more concerned about.
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by ussoldier1984
I wasn't to concerned about pickups it is the quality of construction and wood tone I am more concerned about.

Yeah, Gibson is probably your best bet then.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by ussoldier1984

That is something that only you can decide. The studio has burstbuckers, and the hellraiser solo 6 has EMGS. Two totally different sounds. Your not going to get as much tone from the wood with the EMG's as you will passive pick ups.

I was also interested in LP studio but as far as consistency goes the LP studios quality control was all over the place out of the 5 I played only one actually struck me as amazing. Same went over for the schecters I bought the best feeling/ playing hellraiser, but the quality control was a more consistent.

As long as you play which ever one you ended up getting just make sure it feels good and has good fretwork.

I've seen both go used for $500ish so resale value wont be the much of a difference.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by ussoldier1984

In that case, the Gibson will destroy it.

Thing is with Gibsons though is that because a lot of the manufacturing is done by hand, there tends to be quite a bit of variance between guitars. Try before you buy with any guitar, but especially with Gibsons.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 22, 2012,
I would definitely say the LP. Schecters are great guitars, but nothing that I've played other than PRS guitars have been able to beat a Les Paul. That is, unless you're looking for really heavy tones. Unless you're looking for death metal stuff, the LP is your best bet.
-Epiphone Dot
-Schecter Omen 6
-Dean Markley Acoustic
-Vox Pathfinder 15R
-Vox Lil' Nightrain
-BOSS ME-70
went and picked up a faded cherry Les paul studio. I like the wood finish look it has still working on setting it up for the lowest possible action with the least amount of fret buzz.
Well after playing the les Paul for a week it turned out to be flawed. It would not hold tune for anything. Tried several different methods to wrap the string on the tuning machine but it just would not hold tune. And the nut was cut too tight so every time I would tune up I would hear a ping. Used graphite for that but still was very unsatisfied with the tuning issues. I returned it and picked up the hellraiser solo 6. It seems really solid and looks to be put together well. Action was perfect and the intonation was dead on unlike the les Paul where I spent a long time trying to get set up. I have to say I really think the schecter is made better. Sound is two different animals so I can not compare that but the schecter does sound pretty sexy
I was gonna say, I feel a little more comfortable recommending a high end MIK guitar over a low end MIA guitar. Especially Gibsons. There are way too many duds among the Studios.

I mean, if you like the Gibson as a guitar better, it's relatively cheap to get a new nut, but still, you shouldn't have to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ussoldier1984
Well after playing the les Paul for a week it turned out to be flawed. It would not hold tune for anything. Tried several different methods to wrap the string on the tuning machine but it just would not hold tune. And the nut was cut too tight so every time I would tune up I would hear a ping. Used graphite for that but still was very unsatisfied with the tuning issues. I returned it and picked up the hellraiser solo 6. It seems really solid and looks to be put together well. Action was perfect and the intonation was dead on unlike the les Paul where I spent a long time trying to get set up. I have to say I really think the schecter is made better. Sound is two different animals so I can not compare that but the schecter does sound pretty sexy

Did you stretch the strings?
From my experience 90% of tuning issues on hardtail guitars is from bad restringing.
Proper restringing and string stretching works wonders.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Did you stretch the strings?
From my experience 90% of tuning issues on hardtail guitars is from bad restringing.
Proper restringing and string stretching works wonders.

Yes I stretched the strings, not an idiot lol
Quote by Offworld92
I was gonna say, I feel a little more comfortable recommending a high end MIK guitar over a low end MIA guitar. Especially Gibsons. There are way too many duds among the Studios.

I mean, if you like the Gibson as a guitar better, it's relatively cheap to get a new nut, but still, you shouldn't have to.

The neck was not my cup of tea I like smaller necks.
I'd personally get the Gibson. IMO it even looks better aesthetically. Plus it has better build quality, generally.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
The Gibson, even in a somewhat battered state, would still be a better guitar - objectively - than a brand new perfect Schecter Solo.

However, they both do slightly different things. They have a different vibe, feel and are going to have a different tone. You can't really compare them so easily. Yes, the Gibson is objectively the better guitar, but if you want what the Solo does then the Gibson won't fill that slot. Similarly, if you want what the Gibson does, the Schecter won't be of much use.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Gibson, even in a somewhat battered state, would still be a better guitar - objectively - than a brand new perfect Schecter Solo.

However, they both do slightly different things. They have a different vibe, feel and are going to have a different tone. You can't really compare them so easily. Yes, the Gibson is objectively the better guitar, but if you want what the Solo does then the Gibson won't fill that slot. Similarly, if you want what the Gibson does, the Schecter won't be of much use.

Guess you missed the post where I bought and returned the les paul it turned out to be a piece of garbage that would not hold tune for anything
Granted I didn't read the last few posts.

But I second what JesusCrisp said, tuning problems are almost always simply down to bad restringing technique. Hell, I've got Epiphones that have had the same strings on them for over two years now that don't go out of tune. If you didn't like the neck on the Gibson, fair enough, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame it for tuning problems.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by ussoldier1984
Guess you missed the post where I bought and returned the les paul it turned out to be a piece of garbage that would not hold tune for anything

A) Not to be one of "those guys", but many of the guitar stores that are not guitar center will be glad to adjust a nut slot for you, if you bought it from there. Often a nut is not cut for larger strings. This makes sense because it allows the owner to enlarge the slots if he needs to, whereas you can't make a slot smaller.

B) Not holding a tune does not make a guitar garbage, especially if it just needs a nut adjustment. That's like saying you car would be garbage if the alternator went out.

C) ....ok there's no C.

I would definitely vote for the Gibson, except I would suggest going used to save some cash.
Quote by MrFlibble
Granted I didn't read the last few posts.

But I second what JesusCrisp said, tuning problems are almost always simply down to bad restringing technique. Hell, I've got Epiphones that have had the same strings on them for over two years now that don't go out of tune. If you didn't like the neck on the Gibson, fair enough, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame it for tuning problems.

I used a few different restringing techniques. and using the same technique on the schecter, the schecter is holding tune just fine. It was not the restringing technique.
Quote by W4RP1G
A) Not to be one of "those guys", but many of the guitar stores that are not guitar center will be glad to adjust a nut slot for you, if you bought it from there. Often a nut is not cut for larger strings. This makes sense because it allows the owner to enlarge the slots if he needs to, whereas you can't make a slot smaller.

B) Not holding a tune does not make a guitar garbage, especially if it just needs a nut adjustment. That's like saying you car would be garbage if the alternator went out.

C) ....ok there's no C.

I would definitely vote for the Gibson, except I would suggest going used to save some cash.

again the nut was not the final problem, it was one of the problems along with a couple of the strings losing tune

Please don't argue with me about a guitar that you didn't see trust me it was defective. You didn't go through the steps I went through trying to get it right.
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by ussoldier1984
again the nut was not the final problem, it was one of the problems along with a couple of the strings losing tune

Strings losing tune usually are the nut. Cheap tuners can do that too though. If the Gibson wasn't your cup of tea though, you were right to return it.
Quote by W4RP1G
Strings losing tune usually are the nut. Cheap tuners can do that too though. If the Gibson wasn't your cup of tea though, you were right to return it.

Part of it was the nut but not completly all the nut.
Not to revive an old thread, but when I read how he had is studio for a week and returned it I laughed out loud.

I feel your pain brother, I had two les paul studios. The first one had a major electrical issue and I prayed that the second one would be better. Nope, it had some more electrical issues as well as the nut problem.

I now have a Schecter C1 HR on the way...looking forward to better QC and reliability.
Quote by kingneptune117
Not to revive an old thread

...but you did just to relate a QC story. Why?
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
...but you did just to relate a QC story. Why?

You just answered your own question. To relate a QC story.
From a year old thread. Do you not understand why necro posting is obnoxious?
I guess maybe I answered my own question again, clearly you don't.
OffsetOffset
No I don't. Please explain why out of all the things on this planet earth you could complain about, you picked a thread on an internet forum?
Note how every post bumps it to the top, bumping others down. As an example, watch what happens the next time you post. The thread is a year old, if you have something new to add, start a new one. It saves people from having to read year old information to know what this dead thread is about. Though, given that you're just complaining that you didn't like the QC in your situations, that thread would likely go nowhere, especially given the frequency of that topic and the lack of resolution it always, inevitably, gets.

Anyway, I'm done with this. I'm not helping prolong this discussion anymore.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Mar 23, 2013,
ussoldier1984 Nut slot tightness is easily remedied by a setup guy. If you play 2 gauges, have him touch up the slots for the heavier gauge. It's fast and he might do it as a courtesy. It's a very minor adjustment to do, but pays big dividends. I slather string cleaner over the strings right up to the nut slots and saddles. It's just very light oil with scent.
Holy crap I didn't know this thread still existed lol.  That guitar is long gone and I have had an amazing Gibson Les Paul for a few years that I will now never get rid of or replace.  Love it to death  I have other guitars too but 90% of the time they hang on the wall and I go to my les paul.  Use a marshal tube amp with it and I love the tone.  Anyway wow old thread.