As the title implies, I'd like to get an affordable (but not junk) guitar that will be serviceable on it's own, but be a good base for doing some mods. I was thinking of getting an Agile al-3110. It's less than an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and comes with fairly decent wood, nut, and tuning keys. Either that or some Les Paul knockoff by Tokai that I can find. Am I way off base here? I've always been curious about seeing if I could take a relatively cheap but usable guitar and turn it into a great guitar.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
The thing with ordering an Agile or Tokai is that you might not like the feel, neck specifically. Sometimes these cheaper guitars play like junk. Therefore putting in like SDs or EMGs won't do a ton. You would be better off trying out some at a local shop even if they just carry epiphones. I have seen a lot of Agiles that get traded in, so not sure there.
dont worry about Agile .. if you dont like the guitar , you can ask them to take it back .. but i doubt you wont like the 3110 .. the 3000-3100-3200 series is very great guitar .

i dont know what kind of mod you intend to do .. but the 3000 wont need that much .. the tuning keys are grover 18:1 , greph tech nut and bridge . maybe change the pickup if they dont suit your style of music . but otherwise .. the 3000 is a great guitar by itself .

the only improvement would probably be a tone pro loc bridge and maybe changing the bridge *.... if your really picky cause the graphtech does a great job . absolutly nothing to say about mine .

what mod are you intending to do ??? cause the 3000 might only need a pickup change to suit your taste . otherwise .. great guitar .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Feb 22, 2012,
Just maybe pickups and things like maybe changing out the pots and caps if needed are all I have in mind. If I don't like the feel or playability, then it's obviously getting sent back or sold.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I take it your in America?

I would say be on the look out for Gibson Studios that have had a neck repair. I have heard of certain people, mainly Greg, snapping them up for around $350.

Blow any agile out of the water ant make a fantastic bare to work on.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb