I've had this burnig question for sometime now. What is the difference? I Know tht LoG used mark IV's a bunch and they sounded awesome, so should the Mark V be better? Dave Grohl uses a dual rec a lot and I love his tone. I'm currently using a marshall JCM 2000 DSL and it gets the job done but I want a better tone for just balls to the wall crushing ryhthym lines, the marshall just can't quite get to where I want it. I know A dual rec won't have any problem with tht but what about a mark V? Also, I am in love with the cleans on my marshall, so which boogie has the better cleans? Just for extra help, I'm in a heavier alternative band but we do have some very clean stuff so I need to have a good head with good cleans.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
I used to have a triple rec, and I have a mark IV now. I think the mark has a better clean channel than the recto.

The main differences are in the low end. The recto has a huge, booming low end that can be kinda flubby. The mark still has a pretty good low end, but it's a much tighter amp. There's a lot more definition and if you set the amp right, when you hit a chord you can pretty much hear every note. They're both pretty awesome amps for modern metal, they just go about it in a different way.

The mark has a very pronounced midrange. So much so, that on the graphic EQ it's pretty common to drop the midrange slider waaaaaay down, and it STILL has a good amount of mids.

If you're looking at the recto, grab an old 2 channel.

As far as balls to the wall crushing rhythms... listen to pretty much any lamb of god prior to the latest album. It was just about all done on a mark.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
the MK V will be more versatile however it doesn't really have as "brutalz" a sound as the dual-rec.
The distortion channels are different, I cant say if ones necessarily better than the other. Personally I prefer the Mark, but the Recto is pretty much a standard for modern metal. The Mark V has phenomenal cleans, though, and the crunch channel kills the Recto IMO. The high gain tones are subjective.
Brutalz is not really what I'm looking for, I just want a really good well rounded amp tht can put out night after night of gigs without me having to constantly tweak and change settings
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by MightySumo
Brutalz is not really what I'm looking for, I just want a really good well rounded amp tht can put out night after night of gigs without me having to constantly tweak and change settings

the MK V is what you want then. with 3 seperate channels you can get alot out of one with minimal if any fuss.
Quote by MightySumo
without me having to constantly tweak and change settings

Then the Mark, hell, even Mesa isn't really right for you.

Mesa amps are tweaker amps.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof

Yea it took me a while to get the tone on my Mesa NEAR where I wanted it and I'm still tweaking. But it is totally worth it once you find that sweet spot! And as far as the Mark V the lead channel has a switch where you can set it to Mark IV mode.. so it pretty much has a mark iv built in as well as a mark ii I believe.. The mark v is just a really versatile amp with a lot of options and switches and nobs so it might take a while to get the tone you want but like I said it will be worth it. I feel like somewhere someone told me the Dual Rec cleans weren't very good but i'm not entirely sure about that... Just go try both the amps out and see which one you like more!!
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Don't get me wrong, I love playing metal and really shredding on my jackson but I need something more versatile than my marshall. Does the mark V have independent eq's for each channel? Or is it like my marshall and 1 eq for both channels?
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by NosralTserrof

Pretty much.

That's my biggest gripe with the mark IV. I'm endlessly tweaking it. The knobs are very sensitive too, so a bumped knob can have you sounding like crap. I spend so much time tweaking EQ that it's actually irritating.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by MightySumo
Don't get me wrong, I love playing metal and really shredding on my jackson but I need something more versatile than my marshall. Does the mark V have independent eq's for each channel? Or is it like my marshall and 1 eq for both channels?

Just look at pictures of that damn front panel dude.

The Dual Rectifier and Mark V offer different sounds.

Both are pretty versatile and work for many genres, however, I'd say the Mark is more versatile.
However, both amps give different tones. The Mark is really tight, punchy and articulate while the Recto gives you more of a fat, powerful "wall of sound" tone.
Both amps can do a lot, you have to find out which is the right one for you.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thanks JesusCrisp, I think I'm gonna go with the Mark V once I get the money. But just to be sure I'm gonna track these 2 down and play them both
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Basically what everyone else has said.

The Mark is an extremely versatile amp with having such a vast number of controls and settings. All the channels are fantastic for what their designed for.

The Recto is a monsterous-sounding amp. If you like the super thick, crunchy, wall-of-sound kinda tone that many bands from the 90's had, the Recto is the amp for that. But its not the cleanest sounding amp in the world.

As for simplicity, neither amp is a simplistic amp were its easy to get what sound you want from it, especially the Mark V. You can spend months getting your amp setting right for each channel on either amp. Once you do find it, superglue the knobs.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Wall of sound?

Just set the MkV's channel 3 to Extreme and tell me that can't do the brootalz wall-o-sound. Sure it doesnt have that signature recto bass sag, but it's no less crushing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 22, 2012,
I have the older 2 channel Triple Rec and the Road King II ... the Cleans from the RK II are very close to the LoneStar (one of my earlier amps). The RK II and its complement of 6L6 and EL34 tubes allows you to hit American and Brit tones from Dinosaur Rock to Modern Metal. Its preamp and Channel management features allows you to dial the tone in your head and out through a combination of cabs. Check it out, given your requirements.
the facts have pretty much been said already. I prefer the Mark V for a tighter, clearer tone, especially for 7 strings, but the recto is good too. A lot of fuss is made about the recto being loose but it isn't too loose, sound wise at least. I will say that there is a sag feeling wise which is probably what most refer to but it isn't so extreme so that a person who's listening would notice. Put a TS in front and its tight enough for the more staccato styles. I have nothing negative to say about the Mark V..at all. Its probably the best amp I've ever played (personal preference).
Quote by Ippon
I have the older 2 channel Triple Rec and the Road King II ... the Cleans from the RK II are very close to the LoneStar (one of my earlier amps). The RK II and its complement of 6L6 and EL34 tubes allows you to hit American and Brit tones from Dinosaur Rock to Modern Metal. Its preamp and Channel management features allows you to dial the tone in your head and out through a combination of cabs. Check it out, given your requirements.

Yeah, according to mesa the RKII has the exact same clean channel as the lone star... which has a pretty amazing clean channel. If I had $3000 laying around, I think I'd be the proud new owner of a road king Some day I'm sure I'll trade the mark in and grab one.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes