Hey guys! I just saw the Ibanez MTM2 guitar and I absolutely LOVE it! Its awesome. But I have a small doubt. Is it a fixed bridge or a floyd rose? And how good is the guitar for 650$?
Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
The MTM has a blocked EdgeIII, IIRC. So basically, it's a whammy bar, but it's blocked coming out of the factory.

I'm not sure if it can be unlocked to use as a full trem or not, I haven't played it. So I can't comment on the quality overall either.

I do want to say though; It is and always will be a guitar with someone's name on it. Now, that's not a bad thing (if you like the name ), but remember that you'll be paying for that name as well...
Dude I think its pretty cool saying
'Hey rookies, check this out, Mick Thompsons MTM2. Yeah yeah. I know she's a beauty ain't she?'. LOL!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Its a fixed bridge it cannot be unblocked hence the big screws on either side of it.
Quote by jackjb94
Its a fixed bridge it cannot be unblocked hence the big screws on either side of it.

Good point, I hadn't bothered to check the actual website.

It's completely fixed, but the base is an Edge III, so you'll have the finetuners, locking nut and intonation-mechanics of a floating bridge. Up to you to decide whether or not that's a good thing.
Two more questions. Can I tune the guitar any way I want and It only has one knob! Which one is it?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Ibanez website, have a look.

The knob is a master volume, controlling both pickups. No tone knob.

You tune it like you would tune a floating bridge system; Unlock then nut, tune, lock the nut, fine-tune at the bridge.
Last edited by Y00p at Feb 22, 2012,
It has a volume knob. You can easily tune it down or up you just have to unlock the locking nut until you done tuning. It has an Edge-III FX, which has actually nothing to do with an edge 3 or a trem. It is one of the best fixed bridges and its double locking. So no loss of tune. The name on it, don't care much. But I'd prefer an used MTM1 if you can find because MTM2 is bolt on and MTM1 is neck-thru. Also, MTM1 has better Seymour Duncan EMTY, (or AHB-1 or EMG 81-60 on older models). MTM2 has designed Seymour Duncan blackouts i think, HB-105MT, or EMG 81-60 on older models. A guitar that is only made for metal for me. But for what it is built for, mtm1 is great while mtm2 is not that good. Would prefer Ibanez RGA series with EMG ones (I think it's either only USA or new).
Alright thanks. I wont have any luck finding an mtm1 anywhere cuz I live in India and the used market is pretty weak... And about the tone knob, On my guitar, when the tone knob is zero, it sucks ass. So will the mtm2 be like this? Or is the tone set to full?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
It would probably be set to full.

Pretty cool guitar - I would second the get an MTM1 notion but it sounds like it's not an option.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
the mtm1s are cool but the mtm2s are overpriced. you can get a way better guitar with that much money
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
get an rgt42 second hand,

save some cash, get better pups as standard and block the trem.

voila!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb