Is it possible to install a tremolo bar onto a guitar that is not originally made with one? I want to use one but my guitar doesn't have one and I can't really afford another guitar...
I'll assume you're talking about something like a Strat' or FR. It's been done before, but I doubt it's recommended because you'd probably ruin your instrument if it went wrong. Are you planning to do this yourself? Or would you want to pay to have it done professionally?

EDIT - I'd go with a Bigsby like the person below said. Installing something an FR or Strat' tremolo would be a complete bastard.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Feb 22, 2012,
Yes, depending on what kind of trem you want to throw in there. Some will be easier than others.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
What kind of whammy are you after? You could probably get a Bigsby installed on that without much trouble, but a Strat style or FR style would take alot of work
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Not worth the time, money, effort or wrecking the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Might as well save up for a new guitar that already has a tremolo.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I think Bigsby trems are better than strat trems.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
IF you want to have a tremolo unit installed on a guitar then by all means do it. Do not be turned off by these party poopers that think they have all the answers. It is a guitar. A tool to make music. If any modification you do will assist you with making music then do it. If you are looking at a guitar as a investment for making money?? Put your money else where or go find stock broker.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by sydrock
are bigsbys just as good as the strat stlye tremolo?
It's not a case of one of them being better than the other. They're different designs and used in different ways.

Basically, at one end of the scale you have your double-locking, Floyd Rose-style vibratos. These have huge range and are very stable, but are also the hardest/most trouble to install into a guitar that did not originally come with one. Floyds tend to have the brightest tone and often the least sustain.

At the opposite end you've got the Bigsby, which as less (stable) range than other vibratos and can have serious tuning problems if you abuse it, but is very straight-forward, stable enough if you use it sensibly and the easiest to fit onto a fixed bridge guitar. Bigsbys have a tone and sustain very similar to a fixed bridge.

In the middle you have a Strat-style vibrato. It's a little more stable than the Bigsby so you can abuse it a tiny bit more, but not as much as a Floyd. It's a bit harder to fit to a guitar than a Bigsby is, but not quite as extreme mod as fitting a floating Floyd Rose would be. Strat-style vibratos tend to have a slightly brighter tone than fixed bridges.

So, you can't really compare the different styles in terms of one being ''better'' than the other. Someone who wants a Bigsby won't be happy with a Strat bridge or a Floyd Rose. Someone who wants a Floyd Rose won't be happy with a Bigsby, and so on.

And that's just the three basic types. Then you've got the Wilkinson designs, Mustang bridges, Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridges, Kahlers, Stetsbars, etc. there's a bridge to suit everyone, but not every bridge can fill every role.

Anyway, fitting a vibrato to a guitar that does not come with one is quite hard and not worth the effort. A good vibrato bridge will cost you a couple of hundred, depending on the model. Fitting it will also cost quite a bit. Some type sof bridges require the neck to be joined to the body at a specific angle; on an L6-S you can say goodbye to Floyd Rose style bridges of any kind and a recessed Strat bridge. You could fit a non-recessed Strat bridge to it, but it would need to have a very shallow sustain block. You would need to take out the current bridge, plug the existing post holes and then re-route the guitar. Given the neck angle, the bridge would basically work but it'd be very hard to get low or even medium action.
You can get a Bigsby that would fit, but again it would be hard to set the action to a playable level and it won't have much stable range.

If it's one of the reissue L6-Ss you have, with the standard Tune-o-matic and Stopbar bridge, fitting a Bigsby becomes much easier. You can also get a Stetsbar to fit that, though I don't recommend that personally (I used to have a Stetsbar myself - it was atrocious). Fitting a Strat-style vibrato would also be a little easier on this new model, due to the slightly tighter neck angle, but it would still be a lot of work and utterly ruin the value of the guitar.

Fact is, if you just want to dick around with a vibrato there are thousands and thousands of guitars out there with vibratos that cost less than it'd cost to fit any kind of vibrato to your guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.