Just got this baby today!! '77 Tele! Ash body (two-piece, but sweet), maple neck, natural finish. Proper sealed tuners (Grovers, I think), and a comfy bridge (for a tele, of course). Sounds exactly the way you'd imagine a Tele to sound!

It's actually one of the Challenger series (the best copies they were making in the day), but as per usual with Ibanez of the 70's, the continuity regarding finishing and building is non existent. This one has all the Challenger goodness, but the headstock says just 'Ibanez', no Challenger addition as most do. But it has the skunk stripe, trussrod plug etc.

The neck is really, really sweet. Nice and slim. Not at all what you'd expect from a guitar from the seventies, at all... The frets still have a lot of life in them. As soon as I can get them polished and crowned, they'll be good to go for a few years. The neck has got an insane flame-age going on, on top of an already pretty cool grain. I can't get a proper pic of it though, you'll have to believe my word on it.

Now, of course it's been scuffed and nicked a bit all-over, but IMO..... not nearly enough, yet!!

And it's a........
Dunn dunn dunnnnnnnnnn[Headstock-pic]

For posterity.

Serial number
This reads 'CK770217'. The 'C' is an addition only given to the Challenger series, 'K77' means November '77 and '0217' is the nth guitar of that month.
Last edited by Y00p at Feb 23, 2012,
Awesome!!!!

Though I think your pics are a bit small mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
That is so beautiful

HNGD!!!
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by Tom 1.0
Awesome!!!!

Though I think your pics are a bit small mate.

I was afraid someone might say that...

Aw well, in this day and age... who doesn't have a proper big screen, right?

...right?
Thanks Wouter.

It really REALLY needs some new strings and a set-up though... Too bad I 'misplaced' that set I thought I had, didn't have the time to get new ones either.
Pics of the headstock please?
HNGD.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
+1 on headstock pics. Congrats on the vintage score.
Ibanez SR1200E
love me some vintage ibanez...hngd!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
HNGD, man.

Ibanez were knocking out some seriously amazing instruments around that time, weren't they? I've got a 1974 Les Paul (not Ibanez, but made in the same factory at the same time) and it's amazing.
I Spy A Kitty!!!!!!!!!

Hngd
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
She's a beaut! A 78' Japanese tele knockoff. Looks like full solid wood, probably sounds like a million bucks. Congrats.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thanks guys!

Dr. Sixtstring and pachamp.... You guys haven't read the entire post, haven't you? There are pics of the headstock in the links at the bottom.

Quote by meticadpa
HNGD, man.

Ibanez were knocking out some seriously amazing instruments around that time, weren't they? I've got a 1974 Les Paul (not Ibanez, but made in the same factory at the same time) and it's amazing.

Yeah, they did! Their real prime lies from '76 to early '78 when it comes to superb copies (that actually fight the 'originals' a long way), and their originals up to about '81 are pure sex.

Quote by JKHC
I Spy A Kitty!!!!!!!!!

Hngd

Kitties are always present here, yes.

Quote by Thomme
She's a beaut! A 78' Japanese tele knockoff. Looks like full solid wood, probably sounds like a million bucks. Congrats.

'77 really. November of '77 to be exact.
And the wood is really, really solid yeah. The thing has loads of natural sustain and volume. It's not a full one-piece-of-ash body though, there's a small wing added. But it does sound great.

Quote by gregs1020
how heavy? looks like pine?

It's surprisingly light, really! Especially considering I sold an 11 pound Artist to fund this. Haven't weighed this one yet. (It's not one of the things I do with a new guitar straight away........)
And it's supposed to be ash, but I haven't really found a catalog with all the deets.

Also, vintage Ibanez family shot? Ho.

Last edited by Y00p at Feb 23, 2012,
Unicorn blood + Angel tears = This...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It does, Richard. Thanks.

Finally, I get to experience the crux of intonating a 3-saddle Telecaster first hand.
Quote by moscaespañol
D'aww, look at the kitty

New Cat Day!
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Y00p
It does, Richard. Thanks.

Finally, I get to experience the crux of intonating a 3-saddle Telecaster first hand.

Don't know if I envy you for that, but the axe looks great. I'm liking the look of that neck. What's the radius?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
You shouldn't envy me Richard. I spent an with this thing because the intonation was so out of whack...

But I did it, and it plays and sounds schweet!!
Quote by Y00p
You shouldn't envy me Richard. I spent an with this thing because the intonation was so out of whack...

But I did it, and it plays and sounds schweet!!

How long did it take to intonate? Did you need to do anything out of the ordinary?

Oh, and radius?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Like an hour, as I said.
All of the saddles were about a centimeter off... In all reality, the entire set-up for the strings took about an hour, because I was also fiddling with action and whatnot.

I have no idea about the radius, really... It's got a fair one, as far as I can tell. I don't have a radius gauge or anything, so I can't measure it for you.
Quote by Y00p
Like an hour, as I said.
All of the saddles were about a centimeter off... In all reality, the entire set-up for the strings took about an hour, because I was also fiddling with action and whatnot.

I have no idea about the radius, really... It's got a fair one, as far as I can tell. I don't have a radius gauge or anything, so I can't measure it for you.

If you look up you'll see you said, "I spent an _____ with this thing", with no time mentioned.

I have a tiny bit of experience with the 9.5 radius (it was an original from 60's) and it was really nice. Not so good for dramatic bends of course, but very nice otherwise. I think some day I'll have to add a Tele to what I play.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
If you look up you'll see you said, "I spent an _____ with this thing", with no time mentioned.

I have a tiny bit of experience with the 9.5 radius (it was an original from 60's) and it was really nice. Not so good for dramatic bends of course, but very nice otherwise. I think some day I'll have to add a Tele to what I play.

Hah, good one, I never even noticed that.

After some more extensive playing time with this thing.... Gotta say, I'm loving it. I'm still not sure whether to keep it in E or drop it to DropC# for ma band.
I might get some studio time with it in the coming week, so if I can get some clips I'll get them on here.
screw you OP. That is beautiful and I want it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by rocknroll93
screw you OP. That is beautiful and I want it.

yea.. what he said!!!

HNGD!!!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
No experience with them but I say drop it to C# and play it for a week or so, then back again. See what you end up liking!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I had a 2005 Ash Telecaster. If I had to choose one guitar that I miss most, it's definitely that. HNGD! These things rock!
HNGD that's sexy
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz