Page 1 of 4
Well....

Last week I got my SLAT7 and hated it, I then swapped that for the Eclipse last week, which after a bit of teasing from Greg and exposure to my Boss's 97 Gold Top with real life experience, mojo, wear and tear, I came to the conclusion, I needed the real thing in my life. So we got a load of new Gibsons in and I played all of them and the ones we already had in stock and decided I needed a change...

3 New guitars ( sort of ) in one week?

Third time lucky hey?

So I swapped my flawless ESP Eclipse for a full fat Les Paul, I love it, more than I ever thought I would love a Gibson of any sort.

Best bit?

Its a Gold Top!!!!

Its bloody yummy.

BODY
Top Species: Carved maple (Carved AA maple on Plus Top)
Back Species: Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply top
FINGERBOARD
Fingerboard Species: Rosewood
Scale Length: 243/4"
Number of Frets: 22
Inlays: Trapezoid
Fingerboard Binding: single-ply

ELECTRONICS
Neck Pickup: '57 Classic Humbuckers
Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic Plus Humbuckers
Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

NECK
Species: Mahogany
Profile: '50's Rounded
Peghead Pitch: 17°
Nut Width: 1.695"

HARDWARE
Plating Finish: Chrome
Tailpiece: Stopbar
Bridge: Tune-o-matic
Knobs: Gold Speed Knobs
Tuners: TonePro Kluson Style
Pickguard: Les Paul

Its a 2011 Traditional Gold Top and for all the Gibson haters out there... its flawless so go cuddle your Agile and keep quiet I loved the ESP and I regret losing it, but I will get it back, even if I have to wait for a few months, I will get it put in deposits so its still mine ( kind of ) but I played this and needed it.

Its hardly a me guitar, but its the absolute dogs bollocks and I love it. It mght not be a VOS Cutom Shop RI but its my first proper Gibson and I am smitten, I adore the Gibson necks, the fatter the better and I adore it. It couldn't be further removed from my other guitar but its one hell of a pair.

The spec is pretty decent for a "traditional" looking Les Paul, but the more modern tuners are a great touch. The pick ups are a tad hotter than I expected of the 57 Classics. They are great, mellow to hot and fat, though a touch muddy when you really go for it, so for now its my solid rock and roll guitar. I just want to play it for hours and hours for the next 10 year and get it looking how I want it to. Chances are I am going to fit the spare Crunch Lab in it just for the hell of it. This is going to be my everything guitar from now on.

To play its a joy, these are Plek'd and like it or not, its a clever system that works very well as far as I am concerned, it plays well, intonation is good and their is no buzz and the action is lower than my IQ. The fit and finish on the neck is just bliss and the binding is perfectly sculpted. There are a few "personality" marks on the guitar, a small gap by the lower horn on the binding, but it doesnt bother me. This was done by some mong in another store, not a Gibson mistake. This is going to be my primary live/practice/recording guitar and I just want it to be 10 years old already...

I am being realistic with this guitar, remember I am lucky enough not to pay full whack for it, so I am happy to let the one tiny finish blem go unnoticed and thats why I am going to play this guitar into the ground. I mean yeah, its not a solid slab (but it is a one peice back) its got a bit of weight relief, they arent original pafs and its not a really old Les Paul, but bollocks to that, its my Les Paul and the best bit?

Its gold!!!!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 15, 2012,
I thought it was a Traditional in your other topic. ^^
Lovely guitars, and I'm digging the gold.
That guitar looks so good... I've played a traditional too, but not gold top. I think it was the Iced Tea one. Really nice finish, but not as neat as that one. I'm jealous.

HNGD!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

HNGD!

Could you show us a picture of the top and the sides? (Like showing that it's a Gold Top?) That's always the neatest part of the Gold Tops and Gretschs is the two tone finish.

Or have you sold it already?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
HNGD!

Really f*cking love goldtops!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Bejeesus, those pics are huge!

Nice, HNGD dude!!

You realise you have two NGD's on the front-page now, right?
Last edited by Y00p at Feb 22, 2012,
i approve.

also, get the pup heights adjusted. gibson always has them too high from the factory. my neck pup is about even with the ring and the bridge is slightly over it's ring. it will minimize the splatty-ness you may (or may not) be experiencing.

the more you know!

gorgeous guit tom!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Gorgeous goldtop. I've had the same luck with the new Gibsons too. They seem to play really, really well based on the ones i've tried.

What was up with the SLAT7 you briefly owned? I'm just curious because i've played one before.

Quote by gregs1020
i approve.

also, get the pup heights adjusted. gibson always has them too high from the factory. my neck pup is about even with the ring and the bridge is slightly over it's ring. it will minimize the splatty-ness you may (or may not) be experiencing.

the more you know!

gorgeous guit tom!

My Flying V was the same. The bridge pickup height wasn't set correctly. It was way high on the bass side. But weirdly, the neck pickup height was correct.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 22, 2012,
Thanks chaps

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

What was up with the SLAT7 you briefly owned? I'm just curious because i've played one before.

I just didnt like it, played it at work for about half hour, felt great, got it home and after a while just could not bond at all with it. It felt like a dead weight and just wasnt very nice. Great guitar for somebody else though.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

I just didnt like it, played it at work for about half hour, felt great, got it home and after a while just could not bond at all with it. It felt like a dead weight and just wasnt very nice. Great guitar for somebody else though.

I tried the one they had in Manchester's PMT. I seriously GASed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I bought that very guitar IIRC. I just couldnt get on with it which thinking about it, is a good thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I bought that very guitar IIRC. I just couldnt get on with it which thinking about it, is a good thing.

Its a fun guitar to mess with but it wasn't set up all that great. Buzzy frets, funny intonation and whatnot. I can see were you're coming from.

It could've been because i've wanted a 7 for such a long time now.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
We fixed that down here, you bloody northern monkeys ruined it

I just didnt gel with it

But this LP....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
what color is the back?

darkback? redback? natural?

this is important stuffs, especially on a GT.
whats the right answer da-Greg?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
HNGD
I'm going to get one of these when i get the cash, not sure on the colour yet though. They all look great. But that gold top's looking tempting
Quote by Tom 1.0
We fixed that down here, you bloody northern monkeys ruined it

I just didnt gel with it

But this LP....

Tell me about it
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't dig gold tops that much, just gold hardware AND IN SOME GUITARS.

But this one looks pretty nice HNEGD man hehe
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Very nice Tom.
HNGD

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
wtf have you done?!

'Grats
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
thanks guys

I love it!

Quote by RockGuitarist09
HNGD
I'm going to get one of these when i get the cash, not sure on the colour yet though. They all look great. But that gold top's looking tempting

when you fancy one, drop me a PM buddy, we have the entire range in at the moment

They are all wonderful.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

Can somebody tell me the right colour for the back of the guitar?

My interest is piqued.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Can somebody tell me the right colour for the back of the guitar?

My interest is piqued.

Posting a pic might help dude.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Feb 22, 2012,
Nice. People who talk shit about Gibsons are crazy. Les Pauls are beautiful guitars. Works of art as well as an instrument.

Congrats on the Goldtop. My next Les Paul is either gunna be a Goldtop or a 57 black beauty reissue.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Nice. People who talk shit about Gibsons are crazy. Les Pauls are beautiful guitars. Works of art as well as an instrument.

Congrats on the Goldtop. My next Les Paul is either gunna be a Goldtop or a 57 black beauty reissue.

I could say the same thing about people who trash talk PRS. It's called an opinion. Once you grow up you'll better understand.
probably the sexiest NGD i've seen since I joined

les paul would be proud
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
HNGD!

When ya gonna sell it?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Been trying to save up for one of these for too long now. I keep getting distracted by Marshall's ....someone help?

I've already spent the 2k it would have cost me to get one of these haha
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
ZOMG what color is the back?

turn guitar over
take pic
post in thread
profit???

looks like natural in gloss maybe?

Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by gregs1020
ZOMG what color is the back?

turn guitar over
take pic
post in thread
profit???

looks like natural in gloss maybe?

I think he wants you to use the Vulcan mind meld.
There is a back on this guitar?? OMG!!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Picture dump for my usual quality of pictures....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

My chalk and cheese collection...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 4