I'm not sure if this would be considered alternate picking or not, but I was wondering what the best technique I could use for building speed and muscle memory for down up picking power chords for that fast pop punk tempo while palm muting. A good example of this would be the first two measures of the verse in dammit from Blink 182, or all throughout Anthem part 2 and other songs you hear this. I would really like to make this technique second nature so I could really incorporate it into some music I'm writing.

Thanks in advance!
Just practice the passage slowly so you get a feel for how to get that percussive sound, then gradually speed up.
Vayne92 - I understand practice is how I get better at it, I was wondering if there was a specific Technique I could "practice" to get better at it...

Geldin - Could you elaborate a little more?
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
Vayne92 - I understand practice is how I get better at it, I was wondering if there was a specific Technique I could "practice" to get better at it...

Geldin - Could you elaborate a little more?

You already know which technique you're using, from there there are no shortcuts, you just have to buckle down and practice it. Slow it down until it's easy and gradually speed up, making sure your technique is good at every step.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You already know which technique you're using, from there there are no shortcuts, you just have to buckle down and practice it. Slow it down until it's easy and gradually speed up, making sure your technique is good at every step.

Well I guess what I was asking is when I was learning alternate picking, My friend told me to practice scales up and down the neck alternate picking each note, he wasn't like "Practice alternate picking". I was just hoping for a little more insight. I'm not lazy and I certainly don't mind practicing I was just hoping someone here could share things that might have helped them get better with this technique.
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
Well I guess what I was asking is when I was learning alternate picking, My friend told me to practice scales up and down the neck alternate picking each note, he wasn't like "Practice alternate picking". I was just hoping for a little more insight. I'm not lazy and I certainly don't mind practicing I was just hoping someone here could share things that might have helped them get better with this technique.

Unless you have a specific problem how are we supposed to know what you need to get better? You're going to have to buckle down and get on with it until you hit a problem.

You have a song, you have a technique, short of standing over you with a whip and a metronome we can't do anything else yet.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Unless you have a specific problem how are we supposed to know what you need to get better? You're going to have to buckle down and get on with it until you hit a problem.

You have a song, you have a technique, short of standing over you with a whip and a metronome we can't do anything else yet.

Actually, I think that's an option with a UG+ subscription.
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
So you recommend a metronome?

I recommend that if you have any more questions that have nothing to do with "Why can't I do this? Here's the actual problem I'm having" you go read the stickies and watch some nonspecific instructional material.

Quote by Geldin
Actually, I think that's an option with a UG+ subscription.

... well you can do it then, they're not paying me enough

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I recommend that if you have any more questions that have nothing to do with "Why can't I do this? Here's the actual problem I'm having" you go read the stickies and watch some nonspecific instructional material.

... well you can do it then, they're not paying me enough

Kinda sucks man, I was hoping to come here and obtain some help without people being dickheads. I'm new to these forums and I was asking a legitimate question. Really turns me off to this site.
Quote by Dalymiddleboro
Kinda sucks man, I was hoping to come here and obtain some help without people being dickheads. I'm new to these forums and I was asking a legitimate question. Really turns me off to this site.

There are only so many ways I can say this:

We solve problems, until you practice you don't know what your problems are. If you don't know what your problems are you can't tell us. If we don't know what your problems are we can't help.

You just need practice, go away and do that until you have a question that is much more specific.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod's not being a dickhead. He's being straight with you. If you have a specific problem, tell us and we'll try to help you. What it sounds like to me is that you know what you want to get better at something, you've got some good passages to practice on, and you know the basics of the techniques you'll need to get the sound you want. All you have to do now is practice some. There's literally nothing more that we can do that we haven't already done besides come to your house and make you sit down and practice.

Like I said, if you can figure out what specifics you need, we're here to answer your questions. If you can't formulate a specific question, we're not gonna be able to guess what you need help with. So go practice some, watch some instructional videos if you feel like that will help, go practice some more, and if you run into problems that you can identify and put into words, we'll try our best to give the information you need to resolve that.

And yes, a metronome is useful when you're practicing. It's gives you a steady beat so you can keep time. Start on a low tempo and gradually increase your speed until you're where you want to be. If you feel tension or discomfort, slow down and try to relax wherever you were feeling tense, then start to speed up a bit afterwards.

If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask. Good luck!

Quote by Geldin
Zaphod's not being a dickhead. He's being straight with you.

While it's true he's just being straight, it doesn't neccesarily mean he's not being (at least a little) mean.
You can tell somebody "You suck" or you can choose to say "You can improve, here here and here etc" the difference is the will to be constructive...
It's possible to say something straight in a softer way, which I think is prudent in this case of a new guy.

TLDR: I agree with the truth in Zaphod's words, I would just try to be a little more patient. Maybe I havn't been here long enough to get tired and pissed at people who don't really know how to ask question they need
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Your lack of gratification for the legitimate assistance we're giving you and your generally ungrateful attitude pisses me off.

However, because Zaphod told me not to get mad about an hour ago on another post, i will turn off keyboard warrior mode and slowly back away.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 23, 2012,