Hey guys! I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and I need some help deciding what I should do with myself. First off I'll tell you a bit about my situation here, and then I'll ask my question.

First off, I'm a singer/guitarist/keyboardist/song-writer, in St. Paul MN, and I've been trying to get a progressive metal band together here in the twin cities for several years now with almost no luck. I've jammed with a few guys here and there and I've been looking all over the internet and in music stores and stuff for locals with musical interests like mine, but nothing ever works out. And I know that most bands are formed by a group of friends that get together and jam and write and stuff, but unfortunately none of my friends are musicians like me, and for some reason it's just really hard to find other free-agent musicians here whose musical interests mesh well with mine. So I've been considering maybe moving and expanding my search outside of Minnesota.

Ideally, I want to get together a melodic/progressive metal quartet in which i sing lead vocals, play lead guitar, and keyboard/piano, and have at least one of the other members do backing vocals and screams and stuff. My top musical influences are as follows:

Metallica
Pantera
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Label Society
All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
Five Finger Death Punch
10 Years

And so the band that I want to form would sound kinda like all those bands mixed together, but also sound pretty fresh and original too. My ultimate goal is to make a band that is the next biggest thing in rock music since like Pink Floyd or something. I know that sounds pretty lofty and ambitious but I am working very hard at it, and unfortunately I can't do this by myself. I need other musicians to work with me on this or my ideas will probably never be taken seriously! And finally, all my fellow band members should probably be somewhere in their 20s, as I am 22.

And so now my big question for you guys is, What should I do? Is there really no metal musicians here in MN with similar ideas and interests as mine, or am I just not looking in the right places? Should I keep looking? Or would I be better off moving and trying my luck in one of the bigger cities like LA, Boston, or New York? Please let me know in your knowledgeable opinion what is the best thing for me. Any serious thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Also, please let know if you happen to know somebody in Minnesota who might actually be interested and qualified in joining me in this project, and I'll try to get in contact with them.

THANX ALOT GUYS! I know this wasn't a quick and simple read. But I really do need help here!
If 10 Years and Five Finger Death Punch weren't on there (and I had time between college and such), I'd say look me up. But honestly, there's musicians in MN who like Metal/Progressive music. You may be surprised, though, to find that musicians of "other genres" would make a good Progressive Metal band. For instance, Tosin Abasi of Animals as Leaders, has a lot of Jazz influences.

Just find any musicians who you feel are technically proficient. Jam with them. If they're cool and you two are able to jam decently, then ask 'em about considering your Prog Metal band. You may get 10 nos before you get 1 yes, but so what? The 1 yes may be exactly the guy/gal you need.
Have you tried the McNally Smith School of Music (formerly Music Tech of Minneapolis)?

http://www.mcnallysmith.edu/

It's a great school, and there's probably some people there that are into the same type of stuff you are.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Bump!
All is very helpfull so far guys and I realy appreciate it! But I need a little bit more.
Thanks again!
You need to expand your musical genres. Even playing in a Blues band can help you.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Where are you out of exactly? If I were you, I would make a couple flyers and post them around places. I've hard of plenty of local bands forming that way.

The Twin Cities actually have a lot of metal musicians per capita (Lol), so you just have to look for them. You have to find them, or draw them out, because if no one knows you're trying to start up a project, no one is going to know you're trying to get something together.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You may be surprised, though, to find that musicians of "other genres" would make a good Progressive Metal band.
Just find any musicians who you feel are technically proficient. Jam with them. If they're cool and you two are able to jam decently, then ask 'em about considering your Prog Metal band. You may get 10 nos before you get 1 yes, but so what? The 1 yes may be exactly the guy/gal you need.

Pretty much this,I've been trying for awhile to get a band going hasn't happened, but I took the time off to study music in college and am now learning classical guitar as well as jazz.