I sold my Valveking and came over to the dark side

It's nothing special (I've only just started bass) but I'm so excited I couldn't help but post this.

A Squier P-bass and a Fender M-80! Can you tell I like Fender?

The bass cost me $75 and the amp I got for $100. I think I did pretty okay for a beginner's sub-$200 setup! The only thing left to GAS for is a fuzz/OD pedal.

Now for the review:

Squier P-Bass
Just like everyone says, it's a whole lot of bass guitar for the money. I happened to get a particularly good deal on one of these. The truss rod needs a little adjusting but it stays in tune pretty well and it has a nice punchy tone. It's very comfortable to play and it fits me much better than a regular guitar. The hardware seems solid. For the money I paid for it, I don't think I could've done better.

Fender M-80
Saw this at Guitar Center and I wanted to pick it up on the spot. I see these on eBay for $200+ and although this one isn't in pristine cosmetic condition it's quite a lot of volume (and the tone ain't bad either!). For $100 it was either this or a cereal box-sized practice amp, so buying this seemed like a no-brainer. The settings are pretty straightforward. You get volume, bass, mids, and treble controls as well as rate and depth controls for the admittedly just-okay built in chorus. The lack of a gain control is kind of a bummer but it was $100 and it's capable of handling full band practice and small gigs, which is the most I'd ever use it for. Despite it lacking a gain knob, it actually has an effects loop, which came as a nice surprise. Overall I'm happy with it.

I'll admit I'm a poor college kid, so value was the key deciding factor when purchasing these. I hate the thought of not having my Valveking anymore but my strat sounds pretty good through the M-80. I haven't tried my guitar pedals with it but hopefully it'll sound okay. I'm really enjoying bass more anyway, so I won't be too heartbroken if that's not the case. Anyway, just wanted to show off my cheap gear
I have a soft spot for cheap gear myself. I finally have basically my dream amp but I dont own a single bass over $500 and the average I spend on one is about $300 new. If your like me though dont sweet the guitar side it should do fine, but I ended up getting rid of all my guitar stuff for bass stuff except a cheap Affinity Strat and thats only cos the boss wont let me cos our baby has a mini strat in the same color.
Current Gear
Ibanez AGB200
Epiphone ET-280(with Dean Hillsboro Single guts and pup)
Epiphone EB-0

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien Krueger 410 MBE
MXR Fuzz Deluxe
MXR Analog Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby 105Q
Boss TU-2
I had a BXR with similar chorus, very cheesy. It was fun with fuzz/od, but also I'd use it when I was playing a few My Bloody Valentine covers with a group, fit well.

I've used so many squier P basses, great stuff. I'd slap a black pickguard, chrome covers on it but that's me. Or just black guard and black knobs.

Course I'd use flats, but A fresh set of rounds on a P bass sounds killer. I used them actually on my squier P with the group I played the MBV covers.

But congrats on the new gear and cheap prices! Time for a Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
Congrats, OP!! Awesome set up.

Yours reminds me of my first set up: a P bass (Harmony) and a Fender 1x15 combo.

Live it. Love it. Rock it.

Pretty much all guitar pedals work on bass. It really only becomes an issue with dirt (fuzz/od/distortion), as "guitar" versions tend to lack the low end. But some EQ on the amp or pedal can make even a DS-1 work with a bass!

Quote by askrere
I had a BXR with similar chorus, very cheesy. It was fun with fuzz/od, but also I'd use it when I was playing a few My Bloody Valentine covers with a group, fit well.

I'm so jealous.

Time for a Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

/thatswhatshesaid
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
HNBRD! Enjoy them! And welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Life is better on this side of the Grand Staff, you know.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Din of Win

I'm so jealous.

/thatswhatshesaid

Lol, guitarist has a jazz master and a heap of delays, vibes, fuzzes and more, was great fun, then the drummer quit and well it was no more.
Quote by askrere
Time for a Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

Is that fuzz particularly good for bass? I already have a TS9DX so I'm thinking I may be set for OD.
Quote by Helicopters!
Is that fuzz particularly good for bass? I already have a TS9DX so I'm thinking I may be set for OD.

Well it's all opinion based, but fuzz and OD are different animals that is a fact.

The pickle, is a guitar/bass fuzz, that adds mid and low end and other knobs for adding in low end, mid range etc.
well, first of all, congrats, and second of all, you and I have almost the same rig! and it's also my first bass rig!

the difference is that you (i assume) prefer the P basses over jazzes...

I am thinking in the possibility of getting an 8 ohm 4X10 in the future so i can get the full power of the M 80, and also as a cab that can be of good use, if i get a head...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by askrere
Well it's all opinion based, but fuzz and OD are different animals that is a fact.

The pickle, is a guitar/bass fuzz, that adds mid and low end and other knobs for adding in low end, mid range etc.

Right, I knew about fuzz and OD being different beasts. I'm just lacking knowledge as to which guitar pedals can be used with a bass rig.
Quote by askrere
Is the m-80 80 watts?

Y'know, I'm really not sure. I'm inclined to believe so but it reads 160 watts on the front of the thing. I think it ups the wattage if you add an external cab. How that all works is voodoo magic to me.
As Din said there isn't any really bass or guitar pedals, it might be labeled as such, but it's what sounds right to you that matters.

Biggest issue again as Din said is some people don't appreciate the low end loss associated with some pedals, it's again opinion, and if you leave the pedal on for a song just EQ it or the amp or your bass accordingly.
just make sure you can keep some low end- distortions often cut out low end, but phasers and choruses usually work just fine.

I suggest a Wounded Paw Attack Goat myself, never leave home without it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
fender m 80, is 160 at 4 ohms. the 15" speaker that comes with it in the combo version is 8 ohms, so by itself it should put, what, like 100 watts? with an extension 8 ohm cab you'd get the full 160 watts and more headroom... however, i don't know how you would wire the cabs i parallel, since you have one plug that comes out the speaker and connects to a jack in the back of the amp, and you have another jack to connect the other cab. supposing you just connect another cab in the other jack socket, would that be connecting in parallel (thus making 4 ohm load), or would that be in series (thus making 16 ohm load)??????
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I've actually found personally that the majority of guitar chorus effects kill substantial amounts of low end, and that overdrives tend to be hit and miss (I've found a few that retain a surprising amount considering that they're tailored towards guitar, even some cheap ones). You should also remember that the low end you lose from using these pedals often isn't something you can just dial back in again on your amp - it can be more like a high-pass filter that simply removes all frequencies below a certain point (almost) entirely. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just be aware of how it can influence the frequency response of your instrument. Sometimes you can take advantage of it for some effective "drops" in songs as the thick lower frequencies of the bass suddenly drop back in once you turn a pedal off.
Well, most of my fancy pedal footwork is going to happen when I'm playing guitar anyway. As far as bass effects go I don't think I'll do much besides fuzz, so I guess that's next on my shopping list. My Big Muff broke anyway
Quote by Helicopters!
My Big Muff broke anyway

Mine too

My deltalabs chorus pedal seems to have great low end.
Oh my GOD, does this thing have amazing clean tone for guitar. On the amp I set the highs and mids a little higher and leave the bass flat for guitar, and then for bass I have a 10-band EQ pedal set to cut mids and add back some lows. With my TS9DX's drive maxed and the level a little past halfway I get an absolutely luscious driven bass tone and it still has a great amount of bottom end. I am incredibly happy with this purchase.
tube amps are for bite and dirt, a lot of non snob famous guitarists use SS amps for clean, and bass amps are loud making it easier for a loud clean tone.