Page 1 of 2
I have a low budget (I'm 15 and go to school, duh) but I've spied a second hand Viper 100fm, going somewhere around £150. I've played it and it's working perfectly fine, action's good and so on. I'm thinking, if I got it, that I would like to change the bridge because there are Floyd roses for guitars without whammies going cheap. I know a lot of people would think, "The hell this kid's doing? Floyds are for whammies!" But I want it to keep tune and fitting would be free because my uncle (very reliable) would happily fit it. I'm wondering if I could get some advice here (For the love of God, do not say save up and get a Gibson, Epiphone or Fender because I will Internet punch that person.)
Quote by DruidoftheMETAL
i love your words about internet punching someone over a gibson. yes.
Thank you. Yes as in do it?
Vipers are good guitars. I have a 401 with EMG's and I love it. And always remember cheaper guitars become project guitars in the future
Gear:
Epiphone ES-333 Tom Delonge
Shecter Diamond Series w/ Seymour Duncs
Tom Delonge Fender with Invader
Esp LTD Viper 401
Squire Bullet Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Marshall MG4 Head
B-52 Stack
Crate 120

You could probably find a pretty good Ibanez for the price range that you are working with. Like the GRGA32. I had one. Its okay it has a fixbridge, mahagony body.
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Quote by ESP Eclipse
You could probably find a pretty good Ibanez for the price range that you are working with. Like the GRGA32. I had one. Its okay it has a fixbridge, mahagony body.
Yeah I like Ibanez a lot but on that fateful day in a pawn shop (Park music Dunfermeline, good shop) I picked that Viper up and played it like butter, if that actually makes sense.
Well thats what its all about. The guitar your most comfortable with
Gear:
Epiphone ES-333 Tom Delonge
Shecter Diamond Series w/ Seymour Duncs
Tom Delonge Fender with Invader
Esp LTD Viper 401
Squire Bullet Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Marshall MG4 Head
B-52 Stack
Crate 120

Lol
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Why don't you want to save up for a Fender or Epiphone?
Because Strats are kinda meta and Epiphone just doesn't seem to agree with me for an unexplainable reason. Also I'm 15 so money kinda trickles in.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
I hope he doesn't mean metal.

yet again, this.
my thoughts exactly.
Quote by SoulCrazyDemon
Mainstream, kinda. I think I typo'd lol.

not getting a guitar just cos its mainstream is stupid. guitars are usually mainstream for a reason and i can say right now that my brothers fender MIM strat sounds and plays great for the price and fender even sell HSS versions with a floyd rose (Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster with Locking Trem).
If you like the ESP LTD Viper 100. Get it. You are really the only one that knows what you want
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
Quote by itamar100
not getting a guitar just cos its mainstream is stupid. guitars are usually mainstream for a reason and i can say right now that my brothers fender MIM strat sounds and plays great for the price and fender even sell HSS versions with a floyd rose (Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster with Locking Trem).

He has so much to work with dude
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
Quote by itamar100
Woah, woah, woah. I didn't completely oppose the idea and only hit the tip of the iceberg. I'm ok with fenders it's just I liked the guitar I played. Chill.
Mainstream Seriously though save up for one, and don't tell me your a teenager and you don't have money, I'm 13 been playing guitar for around two and a half years and I went to Grafton Street (big street for buskers in Dublin) for about 3 months, five hours on Saturday and Sunday each, working my arse off and it's worth it. I saved up for a new amp and stuff for pedals so don't tell me it's tough.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Mainstream Seriously though save up for one, and don't tell me your a teenager and you don't have money, I'm 13 been playing guitar for around two and a half years and I went to Grafton Street (big street for buskers in Dublin) for about 3 months, five hours on Saturday and Sunday each, working my arse off and it's worth it. I saved up for a new amp and stuff for pedals so don't tell me it's tough.
I'm not saying it's tough. I have other things to do, and well done for your hard work I appreciate it as a guitarist. I'm just setting the horizon that far yet dude.
Quote by SoulCrazyDemon
Woah, woah, woah. I didn't completely oppose the idea and only hit the tip of the iceberg. I'm ok with fenders it's just I liked the guitar I played. Chill.

im chilled dude. i was just saying that not buying a good guitar just cos its mainstream shouldnt be a valid reason (unfortunately, there's no law to stop it). if you said you did'nt want it cos you don't like it or something then thats a different story.

now, if you liked the viper and you definitely want it the go ahead nd buy it. but i quite sure that if you saved for a fender or something alike you'd get a better guitar that wouldnt need to be worked on.
I'm outta here starting to sound like facebook in here. lol
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
Yeah, I know. Kinda just a rant about Fender now. I'm wondering if the whole bridge idea would work with the viper or they wouldn't fit. Any ideas?
wait what are you doing with the bridge?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wait what are you doing with the bridge?

He wants to replace the Stoptail with a floyd rose.

I'm quite sure that that is impossible without major routing work. It'll seriously **** up ghe guitar.
Steel guitar guy thing/whatever your username is, if you want it to stay in tune get locking tuners. It completely eliminates the risk of destroying your guitar and since your guitar will be a Stoptail, it works exactly the same without reducing sustain or ****ing you guitar.

If you want a trem though, save up.
Quote by itamar100
He wants to replace the Stoptail with a floyd rose.

I'm quite sure that that is impossible without major routing work. It'll seriously **** up ghe guitar.
Steel guitar guy thing/whatever your username is, if you want it to stay in tune get locking tuners. It completely eliminates the risk of destroying your guitar and since your guitar will be a Stoptail, it works exactly the same without reducing sustain or ****ing you guitar.

If you want a trem though, save up.
1. Yes I know which is why a bridge suggestion would've been nice. 2. Steel guitar guy? Memory win(!) 3. Yes but only tuning locks would mean no fine tuners thus a bit annoying every time I want to tune 4. Do you curse like that in every post?
i don't think it's worth it

the guitar's £150

a decent floyd is around that price

there's stuff like stetsbar, but i haven't tried it, and it's expensive too

just get a better guitar which already has a floyd if you want a floyd, basically. if i've misunderstood and you just want tuning stability with a fixed bridge, as itamar says, just get locking tuners.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you felt good playing the Viper and the price is right for you, then why do you need confirmation here? Go for it.
Please just buy locking tuners so you won't have to destroy your guitar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
Please just buy locking tuners so you won't have to destroy your guitar.
Yeah, because I want to destroy it(!) I'm wanting a bridge with fine tuners if I get tuning locks so that I don't have to get an Alan key every time I want to drop etc.
wait what?

you don't need fine tuners with locking tuners

you only need fine tuners if you have a locking nut

which there's absolutely no point in getting

are you sure you know what you're doing?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wait what?

you don't need fine tuners with locking tuners

you only need fine tuners if you have a locking nut

which there's absolutely no point in getting

are you sure you know what you're doing?
Oh wait, tuners... my stupid mistake I thought it said nut, totally being on this too late for me. Forgive me for I do that often. Yeah, what kinda locking tuners should I be going for? I've seen them on stratty type guitars but the one I'm looking at is more of an SG type.
there are loads

i'm guessing the thing that'll make up your mind is whatever is a direct swap, to make the process as simple as possible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
schaller, gotoh and sperzel all have a pretty good rep
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
never actually tried it myself, but it's supposed to be as long as you get ones that are a direct swap
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2