Looking for strings for my 7, which is an ESP LTD MH-417, that can handle G std tuning easily. Nobody I can find makes the ideal set for a 7 w/out a mix-match scenario, as I'll detail below.

I've found two sets in the range I'd be looking to use (on D'Addario's site) and one set offers a significant tension increase. I need help properly interpreting this (the tension issue), though it seems to me I'd want the Jazz/EJ22 set to tune low low low.

I would add a single D'Addario XL .74 or .80 for the lowest string, plus one of these 6-string sets:

Set 1: EJ22 Nickel Wound, Jazz Medium, 13-56 / Tension: 178.700 lbs (26.300lbs low 'E')
vs.
Set 2: EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56 / Tension: 116.700 lbs (22.300 lbs low 'E')

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EJ22 Nickel Wound, Jazz Medium, 13-56
D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56

Thoughts, feedback appreciated.
----------------------
ESP LTD MH-417
ESP LTD EC-400
POD X3 Live
Randall RG100SC
Boss HM-2
Second set with a .70 on top, i doubt you'd need something like an 80 on it o_O

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Anyone else?
----------------------
ESP LTD MH-417
ESP LTD EC-400
POD X3 Live
Randall RG100SC
Boss HM-2
At that point just buy a bass. I'm all for downtuning and all, but Jesus Christ man, that's excessive.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
IIRC the 417 has a 25.5'' scale?
My much cheaper H-51 manages G standard with a 68 just fine, maybe slightly too loose for my taste. A 70 should tighten it up. As for the other 6, they should go C F A# D# G C. A set of 12's should suffice if it has an FR bridge (Ive noticed FR bridge guitars tend to stay much tighter, probably due to having those springs puliing the bridge and increasing string tension), else 13's should do well. Dont go beyond 13's, cause then it becomes impossibly hard (unless youre SRV)

Quote by LaidBack
At that point just buy a bass. I'm all for downtuning and all, but Jesus Christ man, that's excessive.

A bass in E will never sound like an 8 string guitar in E. Guitars have more midrange and harmonic content. Basses have much more fundamental. Which is why the bass and the guitars on Meshuggah's obZen sound completely different in spite of being on the same octave. Also, buying a bass looses the higher register that a 7 or 8 string guitar gives.

And I dont find it excessive at all I dont feel happy at all when trying to compose in any tuning above C standard. I feel happiest at A. Theres something about the low end growl of a fIck low tuning that I really like. I'd get an 8 without blinking if I had the money.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 23, 2012,
Quote by LaidBack

Will these comments ever stop? Read above post ^

To contribute: That second set should work.. And I would definitely not put an 80 on there.
I'd also look into a set of 12's. You might get a bit of a thinner E, but i don't think it'll be an issue if you get a set of 12's with a wound g, which is what i'd recommend, intonates better, has more tension, helps with trem balance imho

I've never tuned that low before, But i use a set of 12's on my PRS with a wound g in C standard, and it has just the right tension.
Those seem like mighty flimsy gauges for playing a bass.

I use .11s in E standard. If I were playing that low I'd have to have at least 14s...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Those seem like mighty flimsy gauges for playing a bass.

I use .11s in E standard. If I were playing that low I'd have to have at least 14s...

You seem to be missing the point that he's playing in what's normally C standard with a low G below it.

Do you really use .14s for C standard?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
You seem to be missing the point that he's playing in what's normally C standard with a low G below it.

Do you really use .14s for C standard?

Forgot he's using a 7.

And if I played in C standard all the time? Hell yes. Anywhere from .12s to 14s. I can't stand thin strings.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Forgot he's using a 7.

And if I played in C standard all the time? Hell yes. Anywhere from .12s to 14s. I can't stand thin strings.

.12s I understand, if you can use .14's in C standard you must have god hands

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112