Page 1 of 2
We often worry about lying awake in the middle of the night - but it could be good for you. A growing body of evidence from both science and history suggests that the eight-hour sleep may be unnatural.

In the early 1990s, psychiatrist Thomas Wehr conducted an experiment in which a group of people were plunged into darkness for 14 hours every day for a month.

It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

Though sleep scientists were impressed by the study, among the general public the idea that we must sleep for eight consecutive hours persists.

In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

His book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.

Much like the experience of Wehr's subjects, these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep.

"It's not just the number of references - it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge," Ekirch says.

During this waking period people were quite active. They often got up, went to the toilet or smoked tobacco and some even visited neighbours. Most people stayed in bed, read, wrote and often prayed. Countless prayer manuals from the late 15th Century offered special prayers for the hours in between sleeps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

More to the article if you click the link. I found it very interesting, and I'm kinda wondering how the 8-hour sleep block affects us. I don't think it's natural simply because I don't think people had the luxury to sleep 8 hours in a row, an 8-hour sleep without distractions is rare even these days.

I'm also interested in trying that kind of sleep where you sleep for 4 hours -> Awake for 1-2 hours -> Sleep 4 hours more. Maybe I'll try it when my coursework load gets lighter.

Interesting to hear about your sleeping patterns as well. I usually get 7-8 hours of consecutive sleep per night. I rarely wake up during my sleep these days (used to, though, quite a lot).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Feb 22, 2012,
try the kramer method.

sleep for 20 minutes every 3 hours.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
When you sleep, no one is homeless.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I typically sleep 6-9 hours consecutively without waking. I am often perpetually tired, but this may have more to do with poor eating habits and my recent lack of regular physical activity than the sleep thing.

Interesting nonetheless.
Quote by TooFast

In Soviet Russia, when you homeless, no one sleep.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
try the kramer method.

sleep for 20 minutes every 3 hours.

But what if I want to watch Once Upon a Time in America
I guess this could explain my sleeping pattern then
For the first few hours I sleep soundly, then i'll start waking up and going back to sleep every 20 minutes or so for a while, then another few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

Though sleep scientists were impressed by the study, among the general public the idea that we must sleep for eight consecutive hours persists.

I would hate to go to sleep for 4 hours then have to go back to sleep again, i like to be up once i'm up, providing i get enough sleep (7 - 8 hours) then i can stay up for a long time without getting too tired.
Quote by Duffman123
But what if I want to watch Once Upon a Time in America

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by TooFast

Against Me! : D
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Modern life doesn't really allow for this. If I slept for 4 hours, woke for 2 and slept for 4 again I'd have to go to bed at 7:30pm. I get in at 5pm. Sounds sucky to me. I'd end up doing housework at 1am... who wants to do that?

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

This is interesting. I go to bed around 11, usually fall asleep around 11 30 and I almost always wake up around 4ish for a bit before falling asleep again for a couple more hours. I wonder if that has anything to do with this.

^ May as well get housework done when it's dark outside.
I sleep for 7-8 hours, then I wake up 4-10 minutes before my alarm goes off. I go to school, sleep through and sleep through my first two classes. It works fine for me.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Don't even care, I sleep how I want to sleep.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Once I fall asleep, I'm out until my alarm goes off or 7 hours pass.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Blayney
Modern life doesn't really allow for this. If I slept for 4 hours, woke for 2 and slept for 4 again I'd have to go to bed at 7:30pm. I get in at 5pm. Sounds sucky to me. I'd end up doing housework at 1am... who wants to do that?

F*ck society
So no one would want to try it?

I think I will. When I become a superhuman I'm not going to tell you how.

Quote by metaldud536
F*ck society

Nigga coming straight from the undercovers.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's actually how I've been sleeping recently.

Going to sleep about 12. Waking at 4 (not on person. I presumed it was because I have things on my mind). Have a cup of tea and go back to sleep at about 5. The I wake up at 9.

Don't know if I feel any difference though.
Quote by Kensai
So no one would want to try it?

I think I will. When I become a superhuman I'm not going to tell you how.

Nigga coming straight from the undercovers.

My schedule allows it so I'll try it out.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'm still going to sleep for 8 hours so I can lucid dream
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Metallicuh
I'm still going to sleep for 8 hours so I can lucid dream
I find I lucid dream best when I wake up, then fall back to sleep.

It's sorta like that hazy place you go to when you "re-sleep" (I made that word up).
Quote by fender_696
I find I lucid dream best when I wake up, then fall back to sleep.

It's sorta like that hazy place you go to when you "re-sleep" (I made that word up).

Yes!

I always have the most vivid dreams when I re-sleep.
Nah. Seems tedious and redundant. I like sleeping for 8 hours. I go insane when I wake up in the middle of the night and try to go back to sleep because im tired as shit.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
So you still sleep for 8 hours?

Sod that I'll sleep in a solid block. If I had a choice I'd have 12 hours every night. Best recovery time
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
i love "resleeping", i even set my alarm like two hours before school starts so i can doze off again (im still late 75% of the time after)

i think 7-10 hour sleep is good for the body. a proper sleep schedule can really effect how you are.
I get around 5-6 hours of sleep on the weekdays and around 10 hours on weekends. Which basically means I feel horrible everyday except weekends.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
They pretty much described my sleeping pattern in that article. Knew I was right.
🙈 🙉 🙊
They actually mentioned this concept on some History Channel show (no not Ancient aliens) about how the 'dark' affected people throughout time. They basically said the same thing, people would go to sleep around dusk and wake around midnight, at this time they would be very active doing whatever for a couple of hours and then fall back asleep for 4-6 hours.

If i could change my sleeping pattern to this, I would... but I don't have enough hours in the day to make my 8 hour sleeping pattern persist for 10-11 hours
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
I would LOVE to actually sleep for 8 hours straight, but for some reason I never do, always wake up in the middle of the night, go piss, drink water, ( if I have to study or something I do it since I've heard it's good to study before sleeping since you learn more that way) and then go back to sleep again. I hate it actually, but I just can't seem to get the full 8 hours unless I pop some pills or something.
I don't sleep... I wait.

Yes, I am Chuck Norris

OT: This article pretty much sums up my sleeping pattern. Interesting.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by TooFast

SHE'S STANDING THERE, WITH OPEN ARMS, AND ONE NIGHT CAN LAST FOREVER

My old roommate was a crazy hippie that took two to three hour naps three or four times a day and had ridiculous amounts of energy. I've been sorta interested in trying one of those alternative sleeping schedules, but I find that sleeping 13 hours a day works pretty well for me.
Dickless.
no wai, this might explain why I keep waking up 3-4 hours into my sleep. I dont think im ready to set an alarm and wake up in the middle of the night though.
Page 1 of 2