I really suck at singing. Like horribly. I've started singing quietly while i play to help keep track of the timing, but i don't want to sing in public.

What are some good songs to play around a campfire? The type where everyone with a beer in their hand stops what they're doing to become a lead vocalist. I understand this varies depending on which generation you grew up in, which is why i'd like some feedback, hopefully get some ideas that are outside of my normal repertoire.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
i contemplated putting "no wonderwall" in the main post.

you don't need to be in the uk, it's a globally recognized campfire song.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
I really suck at singing. Like horribly. I've started singing quietly while i play to help keep track of the timing, but i don't want to sing in public.

OK this is your first mistake, holding back/ The best tip I could give you is to learn to read music. At the very least, the notes on the G clef.

If you can find the music for a song you'd like to sing, you can examine the melody to figure out if it is within your range, and double check that you're hitting the right notes by singing along with the melody as you play it. Cheat a bit. If the sheet music shows a "G" chord, but the melody is an "E", the chord is actually G6. Open up on the high G string, and play the E note there.

"Fear is the mind killer"! (Who said that, anyway)? Sing out with confidence! (In spite of how many people you may annoy while you try to get it right).

Extreme methods for obtaining free voice lessons:

Join the church choir, under with the pretense that you would like, "God Almighty, to steer your voice to the path of righteousness"!

If you discover you're a baritone, one excellent way to practice, is to sing along with your favorite girl singers, but one octave down. This works with very high male falsettos also. Some examples of this might be, the outro to , "Stairway to Heaven". and Rush, "2112" or "A Farewell to Kings", in their entirety.

Oh, some songs, the only thing that springs to mind is, "Kumbaya".

If you were in the UK, I'd suggest. "Jerusalem"...also....

Actually, early Bob Dylan melodies can have a narrow range. I think "Blowing in the Wind", only covers a 6th. The average person could probably sing it in four or five keys.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 22, 2012,
Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel
GuitarMoose.com StickyGrip Guitar Picks
Elixir Phosphor Bronze Guitar Strings
Takamine EG523SCB
Michael Kelly Spalted Maple
Blueridge BG 160
Bedell MB 28 G
Bedell TBCE 28 G
she talks to angels by the black crows. fairly simple and everyone else will chime in and drown you out. by the way... what freaking idiot goes camping in Canada in february??? you got more issues than my hustler subscription pal !!!!
canadian men can pitch a tent in all weather. something to do with our women.

@ cranky - it's not just the quality of my singing that's bad, it's multi tasking singing and playing at the same time. i can do both separately but when i put it together i can only do one right at a time
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
canadian men can pitch a tent in all weather. something to do with our women.
If what I've seen on the internet of Ukrainian and Russian women is any indication, their men must live with tents..... ....er, I mean in tents..
Sweet caroline by neil diamond is good. People can't help but sing along with that one.
Knockin on heaven's door by bob dylan

In regards to playing and singing at the same time. I usually hum along while I am playing to work on doing both at the same time. Next step is making sure you know the lyrics well. If you have to think about the lyrics, there are too many things already going on and your brain will explode. Now, I would suggest don't sing softly. When you actually sing, sing as loud as possible. If you don't, when you go to sing with other people around you will still be singing softly out of habit. It will help other people sing along if you can at least start them off a little. That doesn't work out if they can't hear you over the guitar.
A lot of CCR songs adapt well to strummin and singing. Just stay away from the slow ones like Lodi so not to bumm everybody out.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Captaincranky

"Fear is the mind killer"! (Who said that, anyway)? Sing out with confidence! (In spite of how many people you may annoy while you try to get it right).

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
Quote by Lord Kamina
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
So basically, what you're saying, is Frank Herbert said it?
how about "far from home" by 5 finger death punch? doesnt take much singing talent for that one. comfortable to sing and play
For campfire song, I'd say Levellers - Far From Home!
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
i'd go with the Barney song. it's got a cool beat and it keeps the bears away thinking theres a dinosaur in the forest! and your daughter will love it !
G G
well there once where two cowboys
C D
all alone out on the trail,
G G
and they discovered
C D
they could sleep with another male.

G G C D
Now they're having butt-sex

G G C D
Cowboy butt-sex

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy
G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

Sodomy.
Quote by jugglingfreak
G G
C D
G G
and they discovered
C D

G G C D

G G C D
Cowboy butt-sex

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy
G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

Sodomy.

dafuq did i just read
Quote by jugglingfreak
G G
C D
G G
and they discovered
C D

G G C D

G G C D
Cowboy butt-sex

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

G G C D
Sodomyyyyy
G G C D
Sodomyyyyy

Sodomy.
This would be better if it were raised up into the key of "A"...
bluegrass move over, browngrass is in the house
Quote by stepchildusmc
hey mikey ! remind me to NEVER go camping with juggling freaks ! haven't seen brokeback mountain yet but i dont wanna be in the sequel.