dont the brain do the counting the foot is just a physical impulse...
But this goes up to 11
It isn't necessary; but it's a good way for you to keep in time and rhythm.

I've met people with worse habits that they developed in able to keep in time; like this one girl I met that's a singer. She would bounce every beat because she was afraid of getting out of time. It was hilarious.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
It's a personal thing. I don't like to since I play a lot of music with shifting tempos and time signatures, so I'd be essentially tap dancing half the time. Other guitarists recommend doing so; Al di Meola has some pretty good arguments in favor of tapping your foot.
Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ4FZ80Qdd8
Sounds like you play prog. In which case, you really want to play with a metronome, as prog is tight as hell, and it'll be near impossible to pull off without a click track.
All music requires a good sense of rhythm. Shifting time signatures just make it hard to physically tap my foot, so I don't. I just kind of force myself to internalize the rhythms and cement it into my head.
If you can keep time in your head, that's fine. It's not necessary. It helps some people, others don't really buy into it. Either way, what matters is that you can keep time properly.
let the music flow from within, if you have a good drummer he will keep you on time, just pay attention to the drums and play your heart out!
Quote by Ryanh1985
let the music flow from within, if you have a good drummer he will keep you on time, just pay attention to the drums and play your heart out!

Poor advice, how can you develop a good sense of time if you don't work on it at some point? Yes you should always pay attention to the drummer but you should also be able to keep yourself in time if he decides to do some massive rolling fill that goes on for ages.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.