Need a cheap 1x12 to keep at my drummers house and possibly play small gigs with depending on venue size. Mainly just to dump at my drummers.

Got an offer for the Harley Benton for £25 and the Marshall 1912 for £80.

I'm spending as little as possible but will the Harley sound shit?

Thanks, Luke
i think the non-4x12 marshalls are particleboard/mdf/similar guff too

try to find a valve junior cab (if you're trying to keep the price low). they're plywood (far as i'm aware... mine looked like ply though there was black paint over it), and the stock speaker isn't bad. it's good enough to use as-is, basically. and sounds good enough and is made from good enough materials to justify a speaker upgrade later.

i dunno what the s/h prices are, but i got mine new for £60 a while back. prices have gone up since then but it should still be a lot less than that marshall.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you! I shall check it out. I have a feeling the speaker won't be able to handle my 100w head though?

That's why I'm leaning toward the Marshall. But I don't want to spend £80 on a 1x12 cab if I don't have to.

Cheers
i just know the harley benton 4x12 cabs and i really don't like them. can't keep up with the marshall cabs. but for £25 you can't go wrong ... maybe you get the opportunity to test both cabs?
Quote by moominman2
Thank you! I shall check it out. I have a feeling the speaker won't be able to handle my 100w head though?

ah right

yeah i think the stock speaker is 70w. probably would want to put any more than 40 or 50 into it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is the harley good for 100w? i thought the one that went with their copy of the valve junior was 80 watts or something like that. maybe you're looking at a different cab, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
teh wattage isn't really anything to do with the sound... it's how much you can put into the speaker before it dies.

i mean with (i assume) a cheapo harley benton speaker i'm not sure i'd be putting 100 watts into it, either. i'm guessing it's not particularly conservatively rated (though I could be wrong).

i mean if you're not cranking your amp the valve junior one would probably be fine (and if it does blow you could replace it with something that will be fine).

but if you are cranking it, i'm not sure either of those would be safe, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dunno how good the Harley Benton speaker is. The cabs themselves are nothing to write home about (particle board, quite heavy), but I got an empty one for cheap and installed an Eminence Swamp Thang and it sounds nice enough. So if cash really is your main concern, it's not the worst option. You'd just need to find a speaker that can handle a lot of wattage in case you play loud. Of course, the whole thing will be the price of the Marshall then, but if it's constructed like Dave said, it may not even be that much better than the HB. See if you can find out what speaker is in it, they have been made with a range of different ones afaik.
did you get the swamp thang recently? or have you had it for ages? I forget

but yeah... i mean if you're going to be swapping the speaker (as long as you don't mind an open back) i'd just get the valve junior one. I mean it's no bogner uebercab, but it's a decent cab (killer for the money) that easily justifies a speaker upgrade. plywood.

EDIT: oh the vht ones (i mean new, axl-owned vht) might be worth a look. you can pick up a new one for £80 or so on thomann, not sure how much wattage it's rated for, though. but (far as i'm aware) they're ply, too.

I know you want to spend as little as possible, and i guess if you're getting the particleboard ones for next-to-no money, that's fair enough, but if you're even spending £80 on the marshall you can get plywood for that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 23, 2012,
Those VHTs are rated for 50w. Not nearly as much as his amp can put out; but not necessarily worrisome, either. Depends on how loud he plays.

And yeah, in the long run, it's usually better to just get a better quality cab than a particle-board one. Dunno how good the VHT speaker sounds though, cause upgrading that would make the whole thing a lot pricier than either of the other two options. But then, I don't expect it to be worse than an HB speaker.

I've had the Swampy for a while, yeah... spent most of it's time in a box though after a quick test, 'cause I didn't have a cab for it.
ah ok, i forgot they were only 50w. yeah that's not much better

and maybe that's why i got confused about the swamp thang
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe look in a Jet City 1x12? It sounds decent with the Eminence Designed speaker, but only handles 70W..

You might have to look into a cheap 2x12 (The Jet City 2x12 maybe?), not many cheap speakers are available with 100W+ handling

EDIT: The Tech 21 combo I have has a 100W OEM speaker in it. I dunno if they make cabs or not though, or how much they'd be.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 23, 2012,
Can you really expect great things out of cabs that are that cheap? :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I have a harley benton 112, the vintage one though. No clue how the original speaker sounds since i pulled it out right when it arrived.

The contruction is very solid though.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
^ Your user name makes me wanna beat you with an E series
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
^ Your user name makes me wanna beat you with an E series

The username actually means that i really like squiers haha, I've been playing my squier for 4 years now and I've yet to find a guitar that plays better for me
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H