I am in a band. Simple enough. I like Metallica. Simple enough. We are thinking about playing some Metallica songs. We want to get a good Hetfield sound. Last year, James worked with ESP to create the ESP LTD SNAKEBITE. It features the EMG 81/60 combo that James is famous for and used on his main live guitar (the snakebite.) Note that I said USED as opposed to USES. At about the same period of time, James also released the EMG HETSET. It was based on the EMG 81/60 combo, only with a newer twist and an old school humbucker look as opposed to the famous black EMG look. I was wondering, if I was to play some Metallica live (probably the Black Album era), would I want to use the regular SNAKEBITE with the EMG 81/60s like Hetfield used to use, or would I want to get the newer HETSET??? Metalheads; don't fail me now!
There's a Snakebite with the JH's?

Cool.

I like the JH/X series much more that regular EMGs, but it's all a matter of preference.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I don't think there's a huge difference between the sets? Pretty sure his custom set is based on the 81/60 combo. Not to mention, he wouldn't have any albums with the new set yet. So for black album era, 81/60 is going to be what he used.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
If it's just for a couple covers, just get whichever set you prefer the sound of. It shouldn't make a whole lot of difference, both should get you there.

Assuming you have a proper amp of course
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use the least metal amp possible. A Roland Jazz-Chorus-77. BUT, I use an ME-70 with heavy distortion and EQ so it's hard to tell the difference. I put the open back against a wall and it's not that bad. It's mostly for clean sounds though. But back to the main idea. No there is not a Snakebite with HetSet but I was thinking of installing them.
there's your problem

before forking out a ton of money for a guitar which probably won't do what you want, consider spending most of that on an amp which will

as long as you have a solidbody guitar with a bridge humbucker, you'll be able to get most of teh way there if the amp is good (and if used with an OD as a boost, which'll (sorta) simulate the active EMGs)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pickups don't make your tone, your amp does. The most expensive pickups in the world won't turn your JC into something suitable for what you want to play.

And the ME-70 is pretty bad at distortion. You should really get a new amp.

It sounds like you're ready to drop $1200 - that could easily be split up between a nice amp and a decent guitar, and actually get you in the ballpark for where you want to be.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This is a lot of really great input guys. Thanks! I appreciated it. Good thing I got the JC for free (this is what happens when people die.)