So, i am replacing the pre amp tubes in my splawn quickrod due to a problem i believe to be coming from them. I have tung sol 12ax7's in it now. I really like the tung sols for the cleans channel, however, im looking for something to tame and decompress the distortion channel. Does anyone know if 12at7's will work in quick rods? I know they can malfunction in certain amps. Cathode follower amps???? Not sure if thats right or not. Anyway, my plan is to put 12ax7's in v1 and v2, which will keep the cleans how they are and try the at7's in v3 and phase inverter. I'd like to stick with tung sols. Any opinions on this set up in this particular amp?
Well, they won't blow up but I can't say how they will sound in a Splawn. However, I'd suspect that a couple of JAN Phillips (or even GE) 5751's would be a better choice. 311 runs a 5751 in the PI of his Splawn and swears by it.
Why stick with TungSols? There aren't exactly the best tube out there. A Phillips would make it look like a pos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really like the tung sols in the v1 and 2 for the cleans. Instead of experimenting, I was thinking of sticking with them. I haven't really considered JAN tubes until now. I'll check out the 5751's and the GE's. Good suggestion!
Tbh in a Marshall style amp I wouldn't run anything but JJ or NOS in the preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Here's what I'm currently running in my QuickRod: V1 is a JAN Philips 12at7, V2 is an Amperex 12ax7, V3 is a Telefunken 12ax7, and V4 is a Mullard 12ax7 (British, not Russian reissue). I think it sounds amazing, though I'm gonna try swapping the Tele and the Mullard to see how that works. The Philips 12at7 noticeably improved the cleans (I know you said you want to keep the clean the same, but i found it to be much more usable with the Philips). If you can find some of those old brands of 12ax7s for good prices, go for it. Those Tung-Sols are good, but they still don't stack up to an old Mullard or Amperex. I haven't really messed with 5751s in the QR, but I do know they worked wonders for taming my Peavey Ultra. Definitely worth a try as well. 311 gets an awesome tone from his QR on his profile mp3s.

Going NOS or old brands is more expensive, but if you're willing to risk ebay, you can find tubes in good shape for decent prices. If you don't want to spend the extra cash, Cathbard is right, JJ are the best new tubes for Marshall-type amps, and they kill in a QuickRod. You might try the JJs with gold pins. Hope this helps!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Nice selection of tubes, man. I'd be tempted to put the Telefunken in whatever is driving the tone stack, myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Thanks!

Well, I got an Amperex and a Tele in one auction, so when I played around with it, for some reason, I liked the Amp. in the 1st gain stage before the Tele in the 2nd. Not sure why, but it just intangibly sounded better. I did some more reading on the subject, and one article suggested Telefunken as a good PI tube since they're flatter than the others. Don't know why I didn't try that when I was rollin' em in. But I'll run em through it again and try the Tele in the 1st stage again. I also have some Tele at7s coming that I'll try against the Philips. Any other combinations you think I might ought to try?
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by andyhatescrass
So, i am replacing the pre amp tubes in my splawn quickrod due to a problem i believe to be coming from them. I have tung sol 12ax7's in it now. I really like the tung sols for the cleans channel, however, im looking for something to tame and decompress the distortion channel. Does anyone know if 12at7's will work in quick rods? I know they can malfunction in certain amps. Cathode follower amps???? Not sure if thats right or not. Anyway, my plan is to put 12ax7's in v1 and v2, which will keep the cleans how they are and try the at7's in v3 and phase inverter. I'd like to stick with tung sols. Any opinions on this set up in this particular amp?

Hey Andy

I got your PM but I see you've now created a thread (which I would have suggested anyway). There is nothing inherently special about a Quick Rod when it comes to this. It is a classic Marshall tone stack so getting advice from people like Cathbard and BCKRedBaron is your best bet. Only the first half of V1 dictates your cleans from your preamp. Did you get some Tung Sols based on my recommendation?

Quote by Cathbard
Well, they won't blow up but I can't say how they will sound in a Splawn. However, I'd suspect that a couple of JAN Phillips (or even GE) 5751's would be a better choice. 311 runs a 5751 in the PI of his Splawn and swears by it.
Why stick with TungSols? There aren't exactly the best tube out there. A Phillips would make it look like a pos.

Yeah, I run a Phillips 5751 in the PI and have also ran in it V1. JJ's for the rest.

Quote by Cathbard
Tbh in a Marshall style amp I wouldn't run anything but JJ or NOS in the preamp.

+1

Quote by BCKRedBaron
Here's what I'm currently running in my QuickRod: V1 is a JAN Philips 12at7, V2 is an Amperex 12ax7, V3 is a Telefunken 12ax7, and V4 is a Mullard 12ax7 (British, not Russian reissue). I think it sounds amazing, though I'm gonna try swapping the Tele and the Mullard to see how that works. The Philips 12at7 noticeably improved the cleans (I know you said you want to keep the clean the same, but i found it to be much more usable with the Philips). If you can find some of those old brands of 12ax7s for good prices, go for it. Those Tung-Sols are good, but they still don't stack up to an old Mullard or Amperex. I haven't really messed with 5751s in the QR, but I do know they worked wonders for taming my Peavey Ultra. Definitely worth a try as well. 311 gets an awesome tone from his QR on his profile mp3s.

Going NOS or old brands is more expensive, but if you're willing to risk ebay, you can find tubes in good shape for decent prices. If you don't want to spend the extra cash, Cathbard is right, JJ are the best new tubes for Marshall-type amps, and they kill in a QuickRod. You might try the JJs with gold pins. Hope this helps!

Wow, that is an awesome set up there preamp tube wise. Thanks for your comment on my tone too.

Andy, I'd also suggest a Phillips 12AT7 for you along with a Phillips 5751 for your PI. If that doesn't help your quest then maybe look at getting a different amp. You are the guy that wanted to tame the gain right? You have another thread open where you describe some other problems you are having. I'm going to go find that and give you a bump. Maybe Cath or some of these other guys can help.
Bckredbaron: do you know which of the 4 pre amp tube positions are cathode follower positions in the quick rod? The only reason I ask is because I hear that tung sols dont do well in those positions and i'm having trouble finding out which exact ones they are.
311: they came in my quickrod when i bought it, and seem to be having some issues, so im just replacing them all. And yup, im the one with a quickrod who doesnt need its distortion channels, haha.
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by BCKRedBaron
^ Thanks!

Well, I got an Amperex and a Tele in one auction, so when I played around with it, for some reason, I liked the Amp. in the 1st gain stage before the Tele in the 2nd. Not sure why, but it just intangibly sounded better. I did some more reading on the subject, and one article suggested Telefunken as a good PI tube since they're flatter than the others. Don't know why I didn't try that when I was rollin' em in. But I'll run em through it again and try the Tele in the 1st stage again. I also have some Tele at7s coming that I'll try against the Philips. Any other combinations you think I might ought to try?

Just experiment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Thanks for recommending me 311. Haha I learned a lot of this tube mess from you & Cath so...lol

Andy, something you might do for us on this thread (or at least I'm interested) is post some of your settings, particularly the gain and what gear and OD mode you're using. If you're like me you're almost running those settings full out (now mine is gain at noon on OD2 in gear 3 and it peels paint lol; I used to run the gain between 2 and 3 o'clock if you can believe that). Maybe switching down a mode or gear or turning down the gain might decompress things a bit? Or it may not if you're running more in the middle gear or OD1. It kinda sounds like you want to tweak the character of the amp more than reduce gain. Correct?
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Ok my bad for double post but:
Andy, my QR also came with the Tung-Sols, and I had it for two years before I even thought about changing them. I'm pretty sure, like 99.9999% sure that there isn't a cathode follower in the QR. If there is, it didn't kill my Tung-Sols because I still have them and they still work fine. But if you want to make sure, contact Splawn or check their message board. There's a lot of handy information to be found there.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
The tone stack will be a cathode follower if any of them are. Just look at what tube is wired up to it. I'm always suss on any tube that won't handle being in a cathode follower. If they can't source enough current to drive a few tone knobs how good could they be really?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Edit ^ what he said.

Yeah, I was going to say I'm 99% sure you won't need to worry about the Cathode Follower stage with this amp. I tried a Tung Sol in V1 and V2 as well. No problem just too damn bright for me.

I'm curious about settings as well Andy. What happens if you use the Clean channel exclusively and then boost or pedals for dirt?

I'm pretty stuck on Gear 2/OD 2 but I like dirt.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 22, 2012,
BCKRedBaron: I find myself using od2 with the gain around 10 or 11 o clock. I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds that way, I may try to mess with the first od channel some more. You're right about me wanting to tweak the amp, I love the way it sounds, reducing gain is just a priority right now, since i'm changing my pre amp tubes. Who know's maybe it's just the way I have my settings set.

Cathbard: In relation to what I just said about the settings, I really am considering going down the street to the guitar shop that sells only jj's and picking up some of them, and at least trying them out. I know they are more durable than tung sols. I hear about them being somewhat compressed and the tung sols having a more organic sound, but I may just try them out, since they have less of a chance of failing. I liked them in my last amp, but that was a whole different struggle/story.

311: I have a tubescreamer that I use sometimes, I like it, but I use it much differently than the distortion. I really prefer using the amps distortion, just seems so much warmer.

Everyone: I definitely don't hate the sound of my amp's distortion, in fact I've grown to like this amp a lot. I feel like while I'm replacing my pre amp tubes, why not go for something more my style, and save some time tweaking. But as I said earlier, I might cave in to what I can buy at my local shop. I might not. Are jj's really that compressed and gainy compared to tung sols?
No. The JJ's just have bucketloads more bass and especially mids - just what you want in a Marshall circuit. The JJ's just have bigger balls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by andyhatescrass
BCKRedBaron: I find myself using od2 with the gain around 10 or 11 o clock. I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds that way, I may try to mess with the first od channel some more. You're right about me wanting to tweak the amp, I love the way it sounds, reducing gain is just a priority right now, since i'm changing my pre amp tubes. Who know's maybe it's just the way I have my settings set.

Cathbard: In relation to what I just said about the settings, I really am considering going down the street to the guitar shop that sells only jj's and picking up some of them, and at least trying them out. I know they are more durable than tung sols. I hear about them being somewhat compressed and the tung sols having a more organic sound, but I may just try them out, since they have less of a chance of failing. I liked them in my last amp, but that was a whole different struggle/story.

311: I have a tubescreamer that I use sometimes, I like it, but I use it much differently than the distortion. I really prefer using the amps distortion, just seems so much warmer.

Everyone: I definitely don't hate the sound of my amp's distortion, in fact I've grown to like this amp a lot. I feel like while I'm replacing my pre amp tubes, why not go for something more my style, and save some time tweaking. But as I said earlier, I might cave in to what I can buy at my local shop. I might not. Are jj's really that compressed and gainy compared to tung sols?

That is what confuses me. OD2 with the gain at 11 is pretty dirty no? I mean - how do you like your tone on Gear 1/OD 1. That should have decidedly less distortion than Gear 2/OD 2 but you didn't mention what Gear you are in.

Also, Tung Sols are pretty rugged tubes. Maybe not as rugged the NOS or JAN Phillips tubes but I wouldn't say they are less durable than a JJ. That said, I still think you should get some JJs and some JAN Phillips tubes and experiment. JJ's are pretty organic too man, they are just warmer (ie. sometimes read as darker) than a Tung Sol.

I have a few OD pedals that are based off of Tubescreamer and I don't use them for dirt either. I use them for tightening up metal riffs. What I was saying is that if you wanted less gain you could try using your Tubescreamer on the Clean channel and turn up the gain for dirt (although somewhat pointless then to own a Splawn).

Based on your other thread - I'm wondering if there is a problem with your QR. Can you post a clip with your favorite setting so far and also maybe record this feedback problem or whatever it was?

Here is a clip I did a long time ago using Gear 1 and JJs. I believe it is the only Gear 1 clip I have. I think it has a decent warm rounded tone that is not overly 'gainy' but still lets the natural brightness of the amp shine.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play604666
Quote by andyhatescrass

Everyone: I definitely don't hate the sound of my amp's distortion, in fact I've grown to like this amp a lot. I feel like while I'm replacing my pre amp tubes, why not go for something more my style, and save some time tweaking. But as I said earlier, I might cave in to what I can buy at my local shop.

Gotcha. From the looks of it you've got room on either side of the gain range. I'm with ya on going for tubes to match your style, there's just a lot of options out there. One thing I think you'll notice is that using different tubes will make a noticeable but not drastic difference in a QR, as opposed to, say, a Marshall, which usually will react very strongly to different tubes. My friend has a JCM900 SLX, and even going from JJs to a couple old Mullards made a dramatic change in that one. I think unless you're going from Sovteks to Telefunkens, tube changes aren't going to be much more than a tweak in the sound. Which is good, b/c that's what you're going for!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Hey, sorry im so late coming back to this, i was unable to update my thread for the longest time due to my cab not having speakers. Anyway, i replaced all of the tubes with jj's and a sovtek, and it is a bit dark for my taste, although im liking my distortion channel more. I have jj 12ax7's in the v1 and v2, a jj 12dw7 in the v3 (which sounds great), and a sovtek lps 12ax7 in v4. I think im going to attempt mixing my old tung sols and the jj's to get the cleans back to how i want them.

On another note, im still grtting that weird buzzy tone at high distorton levels at certain times :/
Just a thought, check all the screws in your speaker cab, especially the ones actually holding the speaker in place.
And try to get your hands on a non-Russian Mullard and stick it in V1. Leave the JJ's everywhere else and try that, I think it may get you where you want to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification