Poll: Which version is better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which version is better?
Original Mix
16 73%
"Professional" $200 Mix
6 27%
Voters: 22.
So I just got our first song mixed and mastered "professionally" for $40 and received it today. I mixed a version myself a year ago, and comparing the "pro" version to mine, I'm pissed about the "pro" one. But I thought I'd get some second opinions about which mix and master is better. The song is "Place to Hide"

Here's my version:

Place to Hide (Original Mix)

The $40 version:

Place to Hide (($40) Mix/Master)

Thoughts?

I know my version has a lot of reverb on the vocals and it's not the best, but personally I don't see how someone with a recording degree could produce the crap that they think is worth $40.

(This could belong in Recordings, but I want the opinion of the Pit on which is better, not a crit on the mix)
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Last edited by OfCourseNot at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by OfCourseNot
So I just got our first song mixed and mastered "professionally" for $200 and received it today.
Is it just me or have you been seriously ripped off?
ggg1 ggg3

Also please ignore the crappy reverse-reverb intros... They'll be gone in the re-mix.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
At first I thought you were doing a cover of Nothing Else Matters.

It's not?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by behind_you
Is it just me or have you been seriously ripped off?

Turns out he's only going to charge $40 for it. So not as bad. But my friend is debating whether or not to pay him.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
the original is ten times as good. sorry mate.
and the verse melody sounds like "San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie but not as good.

Lemme bust out my nice headphones

Edit: Vocals sound better on the pro mix, but the kick drum is bugging me.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 22, 2012,
Quote by StewieSwan
Lemme bust out my nice headphones

I did the same thing

I agree with you TS, I think even I could do a better job than the "pro" did
The studio vocals were recorded poorly, and the vocals are too high in the mix. Still, your version could do with a little less reverb - I know how tempting it is to throw a little reverb extra on vocals, but it's still a bit too much. All things considered, however, I'd say your version is better. How much time did you spend on it, though? Maybe yours is better because you got to work on it over a period of weeks, fine-tuning every little detail, whereas the studio version had to be done within a strict time frame.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Feb 22, 2012,
The instruments have more presence on the studio mix, but the snare and the vocals are too high in the mix. Also, the kick sounds terrible. I think if those little issues were fixed the studio one would actually sound pretty good. That said, I think the one you did yourself is better, even if marginally so.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
the original is ten times as good. sorry mate.
and the verse melody sounds like "San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie but not as good.

I'll have to listen to that, never heard of it. Take into consideration it was written my freshman year. Our stuff is a lot better now and also a little different.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Just to throw something else into the mix: that song was horrible.

However, needless dickery aside: why would you pay $200 to mix ONE song in any case? I literally can't conceive of a mix so much better than your original it would possibly be worth $200.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Just to throw something else into the mix: that song was horrible.

However, needless dickery aside: why would you pay $200 to mix ONE song in any case? I literally can't conceive of a mix so much better than your original it would possibly be worth $200.

My band payed 500 $ for 4 songs recorded.

200 for one seems a bit much.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

It ends up being $40. The $200 was put on there in haste, it should really just say $40. Anyway, the song was the first we did together freshman year, so it's our oldest and least "mature". Our new stuff is actually a lot better, I promise. No "teen angst" crap.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Studio.

But my days, that kick drum. Needs to be more kick and less drum.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Original is loads better. If you gave me both and didnt say which was the original and the $200 one, i would guess opposites. You got ripped off man even if it was $40. I say to not pay him and compare both with him and discuss your problems. In the end, you are paying him to make a better quality version of your track not an inferior one. If you are unhappy with the finished product, you shouldnt have to pay.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I think yours is better, I like how the acoustic in the intro has more feel to it, seems like there's more bass in yours than the pro mix. The pro mix vocals are better though.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
If the vocals in my mix were recorded better and had less reverb would they sound better? I just feel that the studio version has too much autotune, it sounds almost robotic to me.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
If the vocals in my mix were recorded better and had less reverb would they sound better? I just feel that the studio version has too much autotune, it sounds almost robotic to me.

I feel that the vocals are the only issue in your mix. Otherwise, it'd be unanimously better than the studio.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Considering he already had a mix though, I am assuming it is actually only mixing, not recording too.
So if you already had it all recorded, all the guy did was master it?
I sent the stems for the acoustic, electric, bass, and drum tracks. The guy at the studio mixed them and added his own bass track and recorded my friend's vocals in the studio. So he really only had to record 2 parts, then mix and master. We're just really pissed that he gave us some demo tracks that he's done and they sounded really good, then we get this crap.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Yeah man, I definitely dig yours. Everything in the mix just sits better and the overall sound of the track is more cohesive I think.
Does the studio specialize in making songs sound worse? Because they did a kickass job.