So GG&A, my tubes are going/have gone bad. I'm new to this so I need your help. I have a Fender Twin Amp which, according to wikipedia, takes

"known as the AB763 circuit. Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers use four output tubes, of the 6L6GC type. They use six preamp tubes, consisting of four 7025/12AX7 types and two 12AT7 types. The 7025 is a lower-noise version of the 12AX7."

I need help finding a reliable brand and to know if this information is even accurate

if you need any other information ill edit

thanks

EDIT: yeah im not sure which ones are going, because it was the floor model and still has the stock tubes, but it's crackling like blown tubes normally do(from what i've read)

Im in New York, USA
Last edited by italiarlz135 at Feb 22, 2012,
Eurotubes.com the jj brand is great and they know what works best for each amp plus the prices, quality and customer service cant be beat
Lots of tube threads today....

JJ, Mullard, Sovtek, Groove Tubes, Electro Harmonix... they all make good tubes.

Just look at the tubes you have now (what type, should say the model number on the tube, like 6L6 or EL34, 12ax7..) and buy replacements. The thing to remeber is to get matched pairs of power tubes either a quad (4) or a pair (2) and then get your amp biased to those tubes.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Current low noise tubes are long plate jobbies (there may be some short plate ones but none I'm aware of). That can be a problem in a Twin because of microphonics but you can get lucky. JJ low noise tubes are the ECC803 which is a great sounding tube. I'd get at least one and see how you go.
JJ make some fine preamp tubes. I'd grab some ECC83S tubes and an extra ECC803 for experimenting if you decide to fully retube. If you just want to fault find buy yourself a JJ ECC83S.
I don't have much experience with JJ 12AT7's however (that'd be an ECC81). You can pick up NOS 12AT7's on Ebay quite cheaply so that's what I use. I'm sure the JJ's would be fine but nothing beats NOS.

For the 6L6's it has to be either SED =C= if you can afford them, JJ if you can't. When it comes to 6L6's the difference between SED and JJ is not very great. JJ are the best value for money when it comes to 6L6's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 22, 2012,
since it was a floor model with the original tube I wouldn't worry about which one is going bad I would just go ahead and replace them all.
Quote by Quesenek
since it was a floor model with the original tube I wouldn't worry about which one is going bad I would just go ahead and replace them all.

Yeah, thats the general rule. Unless you know exactly what tube isn't working and why, 9 times out of 10 you want to replace them all so you know they are all fresh. And the fact that it is the floor model just makes that even more important because who knows how long that amp has been there and been played? Those tubes could be 3 years old for all we know lol.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.