Sup everyone, first off, I already have a guitar, Aria stg 003, it's the dirt-cheap kind that you get in a package with amp (vox pathfinder 15r), stand, cables and stuff, every thing you need for a decent price.
So far it's been great for messing around, and I'm by no means looking to become a star, but the thing is, I play metal (and by metal I mean old Metallica and such) and a bit of hardcore, and I basically got the wrong axe for the job, being strat and all. I wanna improve my play a bit. So I found Jackson JS32 warrior for a reasonable price, I dig it's looks VERY much, and since I'm on a budget, I wouldn't be able to afford anything more expensive.
Also, the same store has some Ibanez models that are built for metal play, so what I wanna know is, how big of a leap will I make if I buy the warrior or Ibanez in a similar price range (~300 euros), comfort-wise and sound quality wise?
I'm still open to any other suggestions, as long as they're not topping the budget.
Last edited by Casull454 at Feb 22, 2012,
Huge difference, you won't look back! That is not to say that a 300euro guitar will be top of the range, but it's certainly a big step up from what you have now

See if they have an Ibanez RG321 or similar, that'll do the job nicely for what you want
I haven't played a lot of Ibanez, and metal isn't my genre. But I owned an RG350 for a while, and I couldn't help but shred. I'd definitely recomend it, cool guitar.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
At that price range its really up to you, I recommend going with whicher feels more comfortable to play. I would personally go with the Ibanez (assuming its an RG model) as I've owned one and it held its own. The pickups on both guitars are going to be rather bland, but they are a step in the right dirrection being that they sport humbuckers. If anything, later on you could always upgrade the pickups if you feel they aren't adequate.
Jackson's and Ibanez make some pretty metal guitars, you'll defeiantly need a Humbucker in the bridge to get the chunky metal tone we all know and love.

I'd also recommend getting a better ampflifier when you get more dough, as that is another major factor in the sound.
METAL!
LTD has a few models in your price range as well. Might be worth checking them out.
i have owned several jacksons as well as flipped, different models some higher end, some low. the ones that stayed around the longest was the DXMG and DKMG. they were nice guitars, but lackluster. i got both off the same guy in a combo deal, his kids got them for christmas and never used them. so he sold them. i think i paid $300 for both of them combined . they were pretty much untouched. fret work wasn't glamorous but they weren't bad guitars. the other would slide in on some deal and slide out.

i own two Prestige Ibanez guitars, a 3550MZ and an 2750EVSL. granted they are more on the high end. i played some of their guitars in your budget for experimentation and found them to be quite nice. however the tremolo's aren't known to be great unless you go up to what is probably above your budget. the necks are very thin though.

but however,

i would recommend ibanez
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies everyone! They have most of those guitars you've mentioned, I've made a note of them, and will test em in the store and make the final call.
I have one more question, I've noticed they also have the cheaper kind of warriors, JS30WR, it has fixed bridge, so no floyd rose, but it's on sale for only 240 euros. That's a very good price for such a guitar upgrade.
So what would you recommend for a metal rookie - do I suck it up and get the one with floyd rose or the cheaper one?
Well if your going too play metal and use different tunings id advise you to get a fixed bridge but if the guitar is going to stay in one tuning id go with a floyd or fixed personal preference really.
I would go with the fixed bridge. Most LFRs are terrible so you should avoid them like the plague.
go fixed. you can find better than the JS series for your budget if you go used. at least you can in the states. i don't track Europe's guitar/amp markets.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd honestly go for a used Jackson RR3 if you could find one for that much... I've got no idea what the european markets are like.

But honestly go to a guitar shop and try out everything in your budget. Never know, something else might surprise you.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Again thanks for your inputs everyone, you've been very helpful! I will likely go fixed, as I'm not using the whammy bar almost at all at the moment, and as far as I can see, low-cost guitars have low quality floyd rose solutions. From what I could read, fixed should also help with staying in tune a bit better, right? My Aria is going out of tune pretty easily.

Quote by Fisheth24
I'd honestly go for a used Jackson RR3 if you could find one for that much... I've got no idea what the european markets are like.

But honestly go to a guitar shop and try out everything in your budget. Never know, something else might surprise you.

RR3's out of the question for two reasons, first - I don't think the body type would suit me since I mostly play sitting, plus I'm not too impressed with the looks of a V shape, and second, it's 778 euros new here, there's only one used for 450 (visible chip marks), which is still WAY over my budget, heck even js32 that's 300 is stretching it thin. I have no doubt that RR3's a beast, but the thing is I don't need it to be one, I just wanna practice and mess around 5-6 hours a week with it, and jam occasionally with some of my mates.
I'll definitely take your advice on trying out everything in the store! So I won't limit myself to Jacksons and Ibanez, plus those guys have a huge selection of electric guitars of all kinds from what I could remember last time being there!
Last edited by Casull454 at Feb 25, 2012,
Quote by Casull454
Again thanks for your inputs everyone, you've been very helpful! I will likely go fixed, as I'm not using the whammy bar almost at all at the moment, and as far as I can see, low-cost guitars have low quality floyd rose solutions. From what I could read, fixed should also help with staying in tune a bit better, right? My Aria is going out of tune pretty easily.

RR3's out of the question for two reasons, first - I don't think the body type would suit me since I mostly play sitting, plus I'm not too impressed with the looks of a V shape, and second, it's 778 euros new here, there's only one used for 450 (visible chip marks), which is still WAY over my budget, heck even js32 that's 300 is stretching it thin. I have no doubt that RR3's a beast, but the thing is I don't need it to be one, I just wanna practice and mess around 5-6 hours a week with it, and jam occasionally with some of my mates.
I'll definitely take your advice on trying out everything in the store! So I won't limit myself to Jacksons and Ibanez, plus those guys have a huge selection of electric guitars of all kinds from what I could remember last time being there!

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help. I'm not in mainland europe and I've got no idea about currency conversion xD

But good luck on your search for a new guitar, you'll post an NGD right?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If NGD = that new guitar thread thing where you post impressions/pics, then sure, I know I'll love and be proud of my new axe, I might as well show off!